Persona 5 or Mass Effect?

• 65 results
Beerbaron17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi Duders! I've got the itch to play a rpg for the first time in forever. I haven't beaten one since FF7 and Lunar for the PS1. I've never played either of these series before but they both interest me. Persona seems like it's dripping with STYLE while Mass Effect's beautiful sci fi trappings look awesome. But my budget will only stretch to cover 1 so I'm torn on which to get. Any advice from fans of the two series would be welcomed. Thanks.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd go with Persona 5, personally. It looks like it'll be a good solid story, with some interesting mechanics.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat in Mass Effect is going to be fast paced third person shooting and Persona's will be more along the lines of a traditional JRPG. While neither game is exactly like an FF7 or Lunar, Persona 5 will be far closer.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on the two in your OP, Persona 5 without a doubt.

Beerbaron17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been leaning towards Persona as I tend to bounce off of wesern rpgs like Skyrim and the witcher. I tend to get lost in all the side content, I'd kinda rather have a more linear storyline.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kblosnack

Already preordered my Persona 5 in July so yeah...

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nicksmi56
@beerbaron17 said:

I've been leaning towards Persona as I tend to bounce off of wesern rpgs like Skyrim and the witcher. I tend to get lost in all the side content, I'd kinda rather have a more linear storyline.

Mass Effect is more linear than something like Skyrim. It's way more focused, though it still has a wealth of side content and from the marketing exploration will play a bigger role in this one.

The reason I recommended Persona is because you seem more of a JRPG guy judging from the two previous RPGs you beat, and Persona would more along those lines.

On the other hand, if you're tired of that sort of game, Mass Effect is a lot more action-y and shoot-em-up than something like Persona.

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't know if Mass Effect is gonna be good or not. Persona 5 is without a doubt going to be great. I mean it seems like you prefer JRPGs anyway as other people have said.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I opted for both, I'm ready for more mass effect now and persona 5 I preordered the first day you could, want to say it was last June

Beerbaron17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I HATE being poor! Too many good looking games coming out lol. Guys just a piece of advice don't get divorced. Almost all my extra cash goes to my ex and I can't play everything i want to! Yeah I'll prob pick up Persona at launch and wait on a sale for Mass effect. Thanks guys!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Both

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A version of Persona 5 is out in the wild and has been for a while so it is a known quantity, and apparently a good one. Mass effect might be great, but early footage hasn't been too good IMO so i am weary still.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

As a fan of both series, I would go for Persona 5 over andromeda if I had to make a choice: simply because it seems like a safer bet quality wise. Also, that game is dripping with style and I can't look away.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There have been two Mass Effect -games since Persona 4. There have been 0 actual Persona-games since Persona 4.

The choice is clear. I can not choke on ME for a while longer. I've been craving for that Persona-fix for almost a decade.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I opted for both, I'm ready for more mass effect now and persona 5 I preordered the first day you could, want to say it was last June

This, but if I had to get just one......Persona 5, I guess? I mean jeez, the last Persona game was on PS2 in 2008. I'm more than ready for a new one.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Persona 5 is a sure thing. Im a huge Mass Effect fan and even I have some reservations about Andromeda

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Persona 5

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@beerbaron17 said:

Hi Duders! I've got the itch to play a rpg for the first time in forever. I haven't beaten one since FF7 and Lunar for the PS1. I've never played either of these series before but they both interest me. Persona seems like it's dripping with STYLE while Mass Effect's beautiful sci fi trappings look awesome. But my budget will only stretch to cover 1 so I'm torn on which to get. Any advice from fans of the two series would be welcomed. Thanks.

Do you like BioWare games? Mass Effect is BioWare dialogue, mixed with Gears of War style cover shooting, mixed with SPACE MAGIC. When done right, it can be amazing. As far as single player games go, ME2 is my favorite game of the previous console generation.

ME3 also featured the best co-op mutliplayer I've ever experienced in a game, and it's coming back for Andromeda. If you enjoy the idea of the co-op multiplayer, that's definitely something you shouldn't forget about when making your decision.

You also don't have to worry about jumping into the series with Andromeda, because it takes place 600 years after the events in the original ME trilogy, with an all new cast and story.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to play a traditional RPG, Persona 5 will be much closer to that. It also comes out 2 weeks after ME:A, so you'll have plenty of time to read reviews and impressions of both before making your choice. Considering Persona 5 has been available in some parts of the world for a while now, there will also likely be plenty of reviews available before its release.

Full disclosure: I have both games pre-ordered. If I could only have one of those games right now, it would be Mass Effect. Thankfully, I'll be able to see plenty of reviews before buying either of them.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a big fan of the previous Mass Effect trilogy. But Persona is Persona, man.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Both.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

While I enjoyed Persona 4, P5 just doesn't catch my eye in any way. If it's structure is like the previous games, then I'm not sure I have the patience for a really slow plot progression, not to mention a bit of required grinding. Who knows, maybe late in the year I will check it out.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I am playing both and looking forward to it.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect!

Even a bad Mass Effect game is better than most other games.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mozzle said:

Mass Effect!

Even a bad Mass Effect game is better than most other games.

That's an odd thing to say considering there's only been 3 Mass Effect games and none of them were bad.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 sounds amazing. The quality of Mass Effect is very much up in the air. The main story might suck. The gameplay loop might be just ok. We won't know until reviews hit. If Mass Effect gets glowing praise you can go for that but I'm still sceptical.

vizard1301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want bang for your buck i would say Persona 5 as the new Mass Effect has many elements from DA: I which is not bad just more streamlined rpg wise.

I would wait on some reviews or more vids to drop of Mass Effect just to get a better idea of what that game is all about.

Avatar image for socurtoxanarosa
SocurToxanarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SocurToxanarosa

Persona 5 for sure, Mass Effect has train wreck written all over it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 is already out in Japan and the consensus seems to be another great Persona game whereas Mass Effect: Andromeda is still under wraps. If you do choose ME:A you might want to wait for reviews. If you want to play both, I would probably suggest getting Persona 5 then when you beat it by the end of the year hopefully ME:A should be cheap enough for you to pick up.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never played a persona game and Mass Effect 2 is easily one of my favourite games of all time. So naturally my answer is Mass Effect. I am however interested in trying out Persona and seeing what all the hype is about. Also keep in mind that if you do not buy games at launch, most of them tend to drop in price very quickly.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Loading Video...

As a fan of both series, I will always vote for more Persona. Mass Effect I could have lived without it returning. If there wasn't a proper Persona 5, it would have been a crime or would have spread a sense of dread throughout the townspeople.

I probably should have written a more dedicated blog to Persona at this point, but this is pretty close if you're interested.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You say that like the new Mass Effect isn't going to be out two weeks before Persona 5, and the ME reviews several days before that. There should probably be more of a "with the assumption that both games are good and review well" mindset in this thread, as that's the only logical way the question makes sense in the first place.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well judging by the unbelievably middling footage that Bioware has been streaming out lately, I'd definitely go with Persona 5.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm not trying to bash Persona here, I know people here love that series with a passion. But my own passion for Mass Effect burns to bright I think you're all crazy for even trying to consider getting Persona over Mass Effect.

Also, @beerbaron17 I know both Witcher 3 and Skyrim are beloved games, but don't you dare speak of them in the same sentence as Mass Effect. Outside of my obvious love for ME over anything else, it is also a completely differently playing and structured game series. It is much, much, much easier to mainline than the other two and even if you do not, it feels strangely linear, robust and cohesive in a way the other two certainly do not. Depending on your viewpoint and preferences that can be both a strength and a flaw, but in your case it sounds like something it has over the others.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I'm getting both.... fuck man this is gonna be a busy couple of months. I think Persona marks the end of the early year rush though so I am optimistic I'll have time to finish both games before anything else comes out.

malrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well if you're looking for a RPG to play the answer is Persona 5 since Mass Effect hasn't been a RPG since Mass Effect 1

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fezrock

If I had a PS4 (or if Atlus RPGs ever came out on the PC), I'd absolutely get both games. Since that's not the case, it'll just be Mass Effect for me. Which is fine, because Mass Effect is awesome (ending and other issues of ME3 notwithstanding) and Andromeda looks fantastic as well.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@malrock: Mass Effect 3 is more RPG than 2 and 1. Lots more weapons, lots more customization options.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Persona 5 is a slam dunk. I really hope Mass Effect: Andromeda is good, but I'm still a bit uncertain. The best course of action is to wait for the Mass Effect reviews and then make your decision.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By matiaz_tapia

Persona 5 first, then Mass Effect, hopefully just in time for DLC add ons. If the new Mass Effect is good of course, who knows ( DA 2 comes to mind). No reviews, no way to tell yet and persona has been out of a little while now, so at least we know they did not fuck it up.

It's hard nowadays. Too many good games too close to each other. Even if you had the money to buy them all.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Save up and get both lol. It's really hard for me to choose between the two, I'm a huge fan of both series.

If you had to get one.. If you never played a Mass Effect game before I would say to get Mass Effect BUT only if Mass Effect turns out to be good.

Avatar image for socurtoxanarosa
SocurToxanarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socurtoxanarosa said:

You say that like the new Mass Effect isn't going to be out two weeks before Persona 5, and the ME reviews several days before that. There should probably be more of a "with the assumption that both games are good and review well" mindset in this thread, as that's the only logical way the question makes sense in the first place.

Based on recent Bioware output and the game's footage, i have a hard time thinking it'll be remotely decent.

Kamui97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've never been a fan of Mass Effect, so my choice is pretty easy. But the thing about games like Persona and South Park is that they are so different from the normal game that it's refreshing and really fun to experience. It's like the Horizon/Zelda comparisons. Horizon is the standout, technical marvel, but it's also filled with gameplay elements that can be found in many other games, while Zelda has a style and a feel that is unique to Nintendo that makes it different and more refreshing to many people who play a lot of games.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, those are two completely different games. Depends if you're wanting a more traditional RPG like those PS1 games, which means you should go for Persona, or if you want something with some more Action and Third-Person Shooter trappings, in which case you should go for Mass Effect. Also, it just depends if you like that Japanese or Western style.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have wanted to play Persona 5 since 2008 so....

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Persona 5 hands-down. The Mass Effect series contain some of my favorite games, but like P4:G is easily in my top 5 games of all time, and this game looks so good! It was going to be the best Valentine's Day of all time this year...

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People in Japan who have played Persona 5 are saying it's better than Persona 4, which is my favorite game of all time, so this is a no brainer for me. Also for me personally, Bioware games have been kind of "meh" since ME2, so I'm actually not even that optimistic for Andromeda.

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be playing Mass Effect, because I love Mass Effect (yes, even the third one).

But if I'm being honest, Persona 5 looks like the better game. So go with that one.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@zevvion said:

@malrock: Mass Effect 3 is more RPG than 2 and 1. Lots more weapons, lots more customization options.

That depends greatly on how you define "RPG." Do you define it as being purely about weapons and customization, or do you define it in terms of characters, story, and world? If the former then sure, you can call ME3 an RPG. By that standard, MGSV is an RPG. If it's the later, then ME3 is nowhere close prior entries in terms of RPG-ness, particularly ME1. Fewer conversation choices (most of which are completely binary with no middle path), side-content that is generic, auto-dialogued paint by numbers fetch-quest garbage, and an overall plot that reads like bad fan-fiction.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Fitzgerald

P5 ALL THE WAY!