Play it fresh or savor the flavor?

TheJasonSigler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By TheJasonSigler

The style with which I play my games has been bothering me in recent years, pretty much since the advent of the podcast. It seems that these gaming shows, Giant Bombcast included, are so intent on covering what's new and fresh that I, as an avid follower, want to keep up with them so that I feel like I'm in on the conversation. This drives me to play the latest and greatest games, which as we all know is a pricey proposition, especially when the prices of games drop drastically within two or three months of the initial release. I'm trying to alter this play style to include other old, but great games that I never got around to, ignoring the hot items of the day in lieu of enjoying games for what they are. 

But I'm curious, what style of play do you enjoy? Do you play everything fresh and rush it back to GameStop to earn points towards the next big hit? Or do you take it slow and savor each game, not caring how old it is or how dated the conversation about it might be?

TheJasonSigler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TheJasonSigler

The style with which I play my games has been bothering me in recent years, pretty much since the advent of the podcast. It seems that these gaming shows, Giant Bombcast included, are so intent on covering what's new and fresh that I, as an avid follower, want to keep up with them so that I feel like I'm in on the conversation. This drives me to play the latest and greatest games, which as we all know is a pricey proposition, especially when the prices of games drop drastically within two or three months of the initial release. I'm trying to alter this play style to include other old, but great games that I never got around to, ignoring the hot items of the day in lieu of enjoying games for what they are. 

But I'm curious, what style of play do you enjoy? Do you play everything fresh and rush it back to GameStop to earn points towards the next big hit? Or do you take it slow and savor each game, not caring how old it is or how dated the conversation about it might be?

Darksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Darksaw

I try to get all the content out of every game I buy, but a lot of the time I don't have the patience to find every collectable or finish every mission on Very Hard. It can be worse with older games as well, even though I know the game is good, it's just past it's prime and I can't really enjoy it anymore, an example of this is the original Deus Ex, a lot of my friends have recommended it to me and I've tried many times, but I always lose my concentration a few missions in.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By RichardLOlson

Well in the recent months games have been pretty much "the flavor of the month"  Call of Duty MWF 2 and so on, it seems like each month something else comes out that tries to win the award for best game of the month....now this isn't really a bad thing.  BUT... (and use this word loosely) if your playing a "Flavor of the Month" game and once you beat it, the next month is halfway over or almost over and people are onto the newest game which they're playing and your not up to speed with everyone else.  Me I like to submit myself to a game and really put myself into it, even if that means the flavor of the month has passed me by.  I don't see the need to rush out and get that "OMG (starts drooling on himself) look at that" game, I'm ok with playing last months flavor and then moving onto the next game once I feel I've gotten my enjoyment out of the game.   As for rushing out and getting the game...in an economy such as this, how can people go out and afford a 60 dollar game every month...or the newest gadget to add onto your console or the super bundle game pack that cost 100 bucks and comes with toys you'll play with for a few moments and then put on your shelf and let it collect dust (looks over at the  halo 2 action figures)....anyways...back to the point...I'm just content on getting moneys worth out of a game and not rushing.  Cause sooner then later, all this rushing will have you buying something you really don't need..(looks over at the Antonio Benderas blow up doll)