Points system for images

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spacetrucking

I just realized how broken the image submission system is. You get 1 point for every image you submit and an extra point for every extra gallery you attach it to. Now this seems fine on the outside but this can be very easily abused. Example: I spent HOURS on an article about Nosgoth and a bunch of Legacy of Kain game page. I got like 400 something points out of it. I was happy because it felt like I got a reward for something I put a lot of effort into and that I earned it. Then all my image submissions from Sunday went through this afternoon and I got almost 300 points from just the images I put up for 1 effing game. I mean cmon! I spent like 20 mins gathering those from my game folder and putting them up in a group upload. I only uploaded like a hundred images/screenshots and attached them to the appropiate galleries. I had NO IDEA that I would get so many points out of something so basic.

The whole process just makes the points from writing articles seem trivial. Anyone can just play the game for one hour, take a billion screenshots and upload them. WHOLA! 1000 points and you are free to write whatever rant you want inplace of a perfectly good article. Do it often enough and you can get to 5k points and start creating havoc with random pages. Beats the whole point of having a moderated environment and keeping things in line.

My recommendation is to limit the number to images you can upload in a day until you reach a certain points level. Make people work to get to a required point limit with good, solid articles and iinfo. Not useless screenshots of their characters moving 2 inches over the course of a hundred shots.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

One point per gallery?  I think that should be changed.  I'll often put images into the screenshots gallery and the xbox 360 gallery of a game for example.  It's still only image that I'm uploading, I shouldn't get extra points for nothing.

DarkArmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DarkArmada

I would assume that if someone did take 100's of similar shots in-game and try to publish them across multiple galleries, this would be picked up on at the time of moderation... Also if there is a community approval system put in place for image submissions, I can see the community quickly rejecting this type of abuse.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spacetrucking
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"One point per gallery?  I think that should be changed.  I'll often put images into the screenshots gallery and the xbox 360 gallery of a game for example.  It's still only image that I'm uploading, I shouldn't get extra points for nothing.
"
It is 1 point per gallery. I just tested it by uploading 1 image for my beloved flak cannon, linked it to the weapon,the game and the PC screenshot page. I ended up with 3 points for it. I realize though why the staff likes to give points out for these galleries. Makes it really easy for the user to check out stuff etc etc. But that really wasn't my point.

The system needs to be balanced so that good articles are worth a whole lot more than a bunch of random screenshots.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spacetrucking
DarkArmada said:
"I would assume that if someone did take 100's of similar shots in-game and try to publish them across multiple galleries, this would be picked up on at the time of moderation... Also if there is a community approval system put in place for image submissions, I can see the community quickly rejecting this type of abuse.
"
There in lies the problem. The image queues are split up in such a way that a series of screenshots  are judged by different people. So while I might see one image, the other similar screenshot is being moderated by someone else. Thus they are unaware of what is going on. I'm telling you this because I've seen it happen. I don't even demand a perfect system, I'm not that dillusional.  I just want articles to be worth more in comparison.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_

The crowd moderation also doesn't dictate that such repetitive screenshots are not allowed. They specifically state guidelines for the bad images.

Of course, the final vote is at the end user's disgression, but most just sit there clicking "approve" absentmindedly (I'm assuming) until they get even more bored and move on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, sad.