Pokemon Battle System Idea

sovereign13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By sovereign13

Final Fantasy X. That's all I need to say! If the Pokemon games just stole FFX's battle system it would be great. 

Right now every move has base damage, accuracy, and a priority(helps determine who attacks first, usually neutral). In FFX every move had a value that determined how long it was until a characters next action, if you put just this into the game it would be pretty major. Then if you made the Pokemon's speed affect how often they attacked the fast but weak pokemon would finally have a purpose! If Shedinja basically has the highest speed stat and has an ability that just makes it faster, it should be one of the best Pokemon. These are only two things you could take from FFX's system.

I just wanted to know if anyone else agrees with this, because I think it could really bring more value and interest to these games.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I don't have a problem with that idea at all, except that it seems like too big a jump and they'd never do it.  Would Love to see that or something similar the next time they make a Pokemon Colosseum or somesuch, though.  And you never really know with them, since the complete overhaul of the Special/Physical attack system was pretty unexpected and drastic, too.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By zonerover
@Sovereign13: Pokemon's system is iconic not only because of its simpliciity to get into, but also because of its hidden onion-like layers of depth. If you don't believe me on that last point, just go check out some YouTube videos of advanced Pokemon battles and you'll realise that things can get pretty complicated even with people alternating between turns. Trying to radically change this would not only alienate the Pokemon fan base (and let's be honest, there's a lot of kids amongst that crowd) but it would also throw out all of the subtle complexity which makes the series what it is today. 

On the specific issue of turns in the series, I guess an indicator which actually lets you know if an attack will come first or after your opponents move would be a good evolution for the series, anything more radical than that and I think we've already crossed the line. And BTW, there are attacks (Quick Attack) which let you attack faster than others, so that element wouldn't need to change - perhaps only the indicator as to when the attack will occur.

I don't even really play Pokemon, but I would have to say that its battle system is one of the best in the RPG world due to the fact that the core of it has remained unchanged for all these years, and the reason its remained like that is because people like it. I've played FFX and I really love to see that system return in another Final Fantasy game, but its not a system which belongs in Pokemon.
sovereign13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sovereign13
@zonerover:  First of all I do appreciate your opinion, but I have to say just because something doesn't change doesn't mean it isn't bad or good. Examples Dynasty Warriors & the Legend of Zelda haven't changed much but one is good and one is bad. Also Quick Attack has a priority of  +1 and that makes it go first... BOOM!
zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zonerover
@Sovereign13 said:
" @zonerover:  First of all I do appreciate your opinion, but I have to say just because something doesn't change doesn't mean it isn't bad or good. Examples Dynasty Warriors & the Legend of Zelda haven't changed much but one is good and one is bad. Also Quick Attack has a priority of  +1 and that makes it go first... BOOM! "
Just to get my confusion out of the way first, I have no idea what your point is on Quick Attack since I mentioned it already in my response. But I do agree that just because something doesn't change it doesn't mean it isn't good or bad. I would argue though that the current system is good, and since fans expect that system, it doesn't really serve Nintendo or Game Freaks to change that system while the game is selling like hotcakes. 

Subtle innovation is a good thing that keeps the system fresh and provides incentive to play the new game rather than keep the old ones. However, I don't think a radical revolutionary revamp of the core gameplay is what either Nintendo or fans want or expect out of a new Pokemon game.
sovereign13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sovereign13
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I don't think the should completely change the battle system of the Pokemon games. I just think they could make some changes such as these to give the series a breath of fresh air.
@zonerover:  You make an excellent point about subtle innovation. Fans do like a mix of the old with a little bit of new.
zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zonerover
@Sovereign13: I'm happy we worked out that confusion because it did seem like you were mentioning two different points at first.
  • Pokemon should steal the FFX battle system
  • Having a queue which dynamically shows the turn order

Agreeing that Pokemon shouldn't completely change into the FFX battle system, I do think that the second point is pretty valid. New players until they get familiar with the attacks probably have very little idea how speed etc. affects attacks, and showing this would make things a lot more obvious. I think even Ryan and Jeff mentioned this in their Pokemon HeartGold quick look.

Avatar image for comrademcpherson
comrademcpherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By comrademcpherson
@zonerover: The queue idea is great. I'd love to see that, especially when you have lots of speed increases/decreases. I don't think that would throw new players that much, either.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

here is another idea. have the pokemon games go completely 3D as in go to consoles, instead of handhelds/ DS. i would enjoy to play a game that was like that. hell, even make a MMO.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

Pokemon's battle system isn't what need updating. Its the graphics. Mostly static sprites on an empty background just doesn't cut it these days.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Romination

Pokemon getting an Active-Time Battle system would completely shut a lot of people out from the game. It would no longer be as accessible and newcomers would have no idea what they were doing since it's no longer truly 'turn-based' and is instead time oriented.

Also I HATE the ATB system. I can't even finish Chrono Trigger so this is me being against it.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zonerover
@Romination: The poster was commenting on Pokemon having elements of FFX's battle system. That's a turn based battle system, not the ATB.

@MysteriousBob: When the DS came out, I was totally expecting to see the entire series go 3D. When I heard they were sticking with 2D, I just thought they were lazy and thought that the extra effort wouldn't affect sales; on the latter I think they were right. With Pokemon on the Gamecube and Wii, they decided to go 3D, and with the 3DS coming, graphically they certainly could do a 180 and make the series fully 3D (they've partially moved in that direction with Black and White). However, the key thing Pokemon fans are interested in is the gameplay, and so long as that's there, I really don't see Nintendo rushing to make 3D happen - it just takes more effort and means they have one less 'innovation' they can put into the next series of games.
Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spence_5060

Ya they have been keeping the system the same in Pokemon forever now and it really doesn't seem to be getting much flak for it. In their mindsets they're thinking " If it ain't broken, why fix it?"

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Romination
@zonerover: Sounded a lot like the ATB. Because I don't know anything about FFX's fighting system.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By demontium

No, then all the higher speed pokemon would be too OP.