Pokemon - Characters or Concepts?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Now Giantbomb has been fully established I feel its important to tackle some of the more serious gaming-related issues.

POKEMON

Characters Or Concepts?

I personally would have thought them Characters, and Pikachu has been placed as such. But Ivysaur - a playable character from Super Smash Bros Brawl - is down as a concept. Obviously this state of affairs can not be allowed to continue. So, in the community spirit of Giantbomb, I put forward the aformentioned question. Where do we draw the line?

I hope you can all approach this debate with the sincerity and maturity that it deserves.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jinxman

I think that iconic characters like pikachu or legendary pokemon where there is only one of them in a game like mewtwo should be considered characters, but the rest should be considered concepts.  I remember sometime on the podcast jeff mentioned they might add race and class designations so a lot of them could fit into the race catagory i guess.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By clarke0

Wait so enemies in games are supposed to go in the concepts section, right? I think it makes sense for most Pokemon to go in concepts, but for more important iconic Pokemon to go in characters then.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By brydello
clarke0 said:
"Wait so enemies in games are supposed to go in the concepts section, right? I think it makes sense for most Pokemon to go in concepts, but for more important iconic Pokemon to go in characters then."
Seems to make sense.
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By thebeast

Pokémon belong listed as concepts as each Pokémon is a 'species' in its own right - not an individual character.
Pikachu is a type of Pokémon, not a character - even though it might be portrayed as one in some cases, whereas in actual fact, in the Pokémon series and games which feature a single Pokémon predominantely, a single Pikachu is portrayed.
I'm no expert on Pokémon - so this is by no means a final say on the subject - please feel free to continue discussing it!

If an enemy in a game is a Character, it belongs in Characters. On the other hand, if the enemy in a game is some sort of evil organization or whatever, it would be considered a Concept.