Polygon.com is live. What do you guys think?

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#201  Edited By Nate

@MariachiMacabre said:

The mobile site seems pretty well designed.

Yeah, one of the best mobile sites I've seen for video games for sure.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By MiniPato

@Deusx said:

@MiniPato: You and I have very different issues with the site so I'm not going to continue that path with you. Also, when did I use insults? I said "Maybe you guys should stop using Opera/IE and living in the 90's." and I also apologized later. You are the one saying "fuck your condescending tone and fuck you too". So yeah, calm your fucking tits down and stop being such a baby.

Yeah, I guess you apologized by admitting you're a dick. And then immediately after saying "Everyone who says the design is bad can go fuck themselves, that site is fucking perfect." Me saying "fuck you too" is my catharsis much like I assume your quoted statement is, so I have calmed down. Equilibrium has been struck.

I'm a vengeful person, so be prepared to go into a prolonged internet argument over some petty shit.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By MeierTheRed

I like it alot. Joystiq used to be my go to site to browse news. But after some of the guys split and set up shop on The Verge, i went there, so naturally Polygon.com will now become my go to for video game news.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#204  Edited By Ben_H
@Fire_Of_The_Wind said:

Too serious for my liking. I might visit the site if someone posts a link to an interesting article or something.

That was the vibe I got when I visited. Way too serious. I'm not a person who takes games or the gaming industry seriously so it kinda made me not want to read it.
Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#205  Edited By Xeirus

@C_Rakestraw said:

@LiquidPrince said:

What the hell is Polygon.com and why is everyone talking about it?

It's a game website run by a bunch of popular game journalists from around the industry.

It also has Brian Crecente, who's a total douchebag. I wouldn't bother visiting. It also looks like garbage.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By uhtaree

I will inevitably click on some of their twitter links because they will break stories before other gaming outlets, but I won't be using their website as a one-stop-shop. I caught Justin McElroy arguing with Patrick months back about using Instapaper to view their hideous reviews (I think it was Lollipop Chainsaw) and he was all up in arms about using the internet like that on sites that make their living on metrics that involve you lingering on their pages. If I don't want to linger on your site, I won't, and I'm not gonna. Since then I've been detemined to hate the site and I consider it a successful launch in that regard.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Rasmoss

Just ran through their review scores since they started. Man, they are a generous bunch:

SSX - 9

Journey - 10

Mass Effect 3 - 10

Max Payne 3 - 9

Diablo 3 - 10

Spelunky - 10

Darksiders 2 - 9

Transformers: FoC - 9

Dishonored - 9

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#208  Edited By jakob187

I nominate Polygon for "most time to reach the bottom of the website possible".

Personally, while the content is good, I don't like the site overall. Everything on the front page is so incredibly jumbled. It reminds me of when you put in the wrong website address and you get taken to a page where someone is selling the domain name. It's just kind of "here, we've got all this shit, throw it on the front page...SPLAT".

As for their sub-menus...which took me a whole second to find, I think some of them are handled well. The reviews page is tight and concise, but the rest of it...well, seems like a direct rip-off of the current Giant Bomb layout, how the news/features/etc pages look. Sure, a lot of HTML5 sites look like that, but it's just...interesting...to see that almost the same exact style was replicated. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Oh well. It's an alright site. I just hate that you can scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and never find the bottom of the website. It feels like their front page is literally just a dump site for all their content, offering no honest front space to their newest content other than just assuming it's all the shit closer to the top.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rasmoss:

Pretty much all I need to know. I think I'll be avoiding this site.

certmcgurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By certmcgurt

I think the design looks alright, I agree with that those giant images are annoying. I'll probably only visit the site for Phil Kollar, cuz I love that guy.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#211  Edited By project343

Some quirks of the site designs: looks appealing from a visual standpoint, but is not functional at all. I felt disoriented using the site because the content was so dispersed; it's the same feeling you get from a smaller FOV numbers. It just feels like it's basking in visual artistry rather than giving me an efficient and concise presentation of the content. I can't see myself using the site until these design issues are resolved. It's a severely unpleasant experience, regardless of the quality journalism behind it.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#212  Edited By deerokus

There's an article where the headline talks about risk assessment, data entry and playtesting of Halo 4. God, so exciting, how can one resist reading and article about such things?

The layout is horrific. Sure, it looks nice, but I don't need my entire screen filled with screenshots from the game they're reviewing, with text placed around it. That works for a physical magazine, not for something you read on a screen.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#213  Edited By nights

I watched one of their videos, noticed that they censor curse words, closed the tab.

Slixshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Slixshot
artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By artelinarose

@GiveUpNed said:

As the title states, what do you guys think? I've noticed similarities between their game database and Giantbomb's. Chiefly the option to have a discussion forum for the game. That said the design is completely different. I'm pretty impressed with their Medal of Honor Warfighter review. http://www.polygon.com/game/medal-of-honor-warfighter/2686

Very little of it shows in the final product. Medal of Honor Warfighter fails in almost every regard. Warfighter’s campaign is a jumble of flashy parts that Danger Close unsuccessfully tries to glue together, and the solid foundation of its multiplayer is buried under a broken interface, small maps and poor interface design.

Either the interface is really bad or that's some pretty quality writing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#216  Edited By csl316

Site's got potential, looking forward to seeing where it goes. Just hoping it doesn't feel too sterile since people are spread out all over. Could be hard defining an identity over Skype meetings.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Mendelson9

@Gill said:

I don't know. That MOH review is a little hard to read with those giant images breaking up the pacing of the text.

100% agree with you. The design is nice but it does not create a better reading experience. It's still best for me to save the article to Instapaper.

The website is light years better that many others (I'm looking at you Kotaku, Destructoid)

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well.

I like it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#219  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Not a big fan of the layout, but I wasn't really planning on reading Polygon regardless. I get what I need from the sites that I read already.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#220  Edited By evanbower

@Deusx: I'm not totally hating on it or anything, but if design truly isn't subjective, and is either good or bad, the one thing it should be expected to be is efficient. If it is inefficient for the sake of style, we're then getting into areas that could be judged subjectively. There is no way this can be considered well designed, efficient use of space.

No Caption Provided
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#221  Edited By Bollard

That review is horribly formatted. The scrolling is so jumpy I get disorientated trying to navigate the page. I see what they're trying to do making the webpage look more like a magazine spread but shit they need to introduce a better way to navigate pages.

EDIT: Is it me or is the general performance of their site really poor? I have a beefy PC and 100MBit download speed and it lags noticeably scrolling up and down the page...

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By RE_Player1

I go to websites for the staff personalities and personally Polygon has no one on staff that interests me. At least their site doesn't look bad.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@VicRattlehead said:

so are they sponsored by instagram then?

Hey guys, all the pictures have bad filters that make them look like old shitty photopaper, but it's actually on a website! Aren't we hip and cool?

Really though, I like most of the writers on that site, so I wish them the best. Fucking instagram though, ugh.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this mean that every other gaming website should start shutting down now?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#225  Edited By JasonR86

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I don't think so. They've said it's "a video game website" and not "the video game website".

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By TheHumanDove

its the best website that ever lived

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not digging the layout of the reviews for Polygon at all. It seems all over the place but I do like the section in the Dishonored review where it spotlights some of the game's influences.

@JasonR86 said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I don't think so. They've said it's "a video game website" and not "the video game website".

Just as along as they don't add "it's a website about video games" otherwise the GB guys are going to have to grab a hold of legal on the line.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By time allen

awful design. looks like a massive wall of text with over sized images thrown about here and there.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By k9

The site design is aesthetically pleasing. Their article layouts makes for an immersive reading experience with nice integration of images between paragraphs. From the presentation standpoint alone the site is a joy to browse through. But I wonder how this site is going to look like months from now when they eventually decide to move in the direction of inserting banner ads in order to make money.

For the next site redesign GB should consider borrowing some of polygon's article layout ideas and implementing it here.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

It's ok. I see a lot of complaints here on the design...but it's a lot better than what Kotaku and those other Gawker sites have become.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Hitchenson

Heh, 20 19 point review scales. How silly.

Hyunickel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Hyunickel

I think design wise it's definitely interesting. Though I think dialing back a little on the amount of graphics used would be better.

Game_Baron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Game_Baron

It's very lengthy. That's about it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#234  Edited By JasonR86

@Hitchenson said:

Heh, 20 point review scales. How silly.

It's 10 point isn't it?

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By benpicko

@Milkman said:

@benpicko

People are complaining about the design of another website on Giant Bomb? HAHAHAAHAHAA.

What's wrong with that?

Giant Bomb's current design is horrible

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By TheKramer89

The huge images are terrible.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#237  Edited By Milkman

@benpicko said:

@Milkman said:

@benpicko

People are complaining about the design of another website on Giant Bomb? HAHAHAAHAHAA.

What's wrong with that?

Giant Bomb's current design is horrible

How so?

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Freshbandito

@Deusx: I think you're talking about design too narrowly and focusing on the function side, either way you can't "make someone like it" you can merely ease their acceptance. The way you talk about design makes it seem like a world where there's no such thing as bad design, there's always bad design out there and people will have different tastes, if it was just as easy as designing something and then making people like it then everyone would be a graphic designer.

We seem to have very different views on this either way and I will admit that I tend towards an illustrative bent so I will always favour look over function. Arguing about taste is something neither ofus can win anyway so we'll have to agree to disagree. For the record I quite like their layout, the images breaking some of the borders I'm not too fond of but pretty slick and enjoyable to look at in my opinion.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Slay3r1583

I liked what I read but I hate the design. I don't see myself going back.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#240  Edited By project343

@kishinfoulux: As one of those 'haters,' I'm going to agree: it looks spectacular, but the content is way too spaced out. It's fucking disorienting and terribly impractical. I've spent a good hour or so with the site now and the forums are great, their features are unbelievable, and the reviews seem top-notch... but that goddamn design is brain-melting in the poorest way possible.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#241  Edited By viking_funeral

@Azteris said:

It looks way too much like the revisions that they made to Kotaku to make it even uglier than it's always kind of been.

My very first impression as well.

There must be some designers out there who are claiming this is the future of internet design, despite constant user backlash.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Hitchenson

@JasonR86 said:

@Hitchenson said:

Heh, 20 point review scales. How silly.

It's 10 point isn't it?

It's got decimals too. Wait... that's a 19 point scale then.

Link to page that talks about their take on review scoring.

"Polygon uses a "20-point" review scale. Specifically, we rate games from 1-10, with half point intervals."

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Etnos

Its smarmy and pretentious, but in the other hand they have some interesting articles. Again, I just wish they tone down their hipster douche vibe a little bit.

"Polygon uses a "20-point" review scale. Specifically, we rate games from 1-10, with half point intervals."

also.. yeah this is still stooopid as its ever been.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By myniceicelife

it looks like they had a site with text and just decided to start randomly throwing images of all sizes in random spots. just so inconsistent that i don't even want to look at it.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By TheVideoHustler

I'll stick with Giantbomb. People who work here are to good to really like anything else. I just don't get the drive to visit any other sites like I do coming here.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better question. When will Gonpoly the Russian rip off site show up? 

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By themangalist

EVERYTHING IS SO HUGE AND IN MY FACE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

(read: I don't dig it.)

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By flasaltine

I have a 1080p monitor... Everything doesn't NEED TO BE SO BIG.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By mrcraggle

I like design but it still needs a heck of a lot of refinement. Images really do not need to be as big as they are. If anything the design looks best on a phone but on a 1080p monitor, the images take up my entire screen for no reason other than to visually break up the text but it's too much. I feel like they made a lot of noise about their design but at the end of the day it will be a blog about video game news with some interesting articles here and there but it will be the place I go to for news as that's an area where GB falls short but it was never intended to be that. It's a much richer site with a great community. I think the whole wiki idea really helped GB stand out as a site along with the people that run it and a community that support it. Polygon is still theverge.com/gaming as it's the gaming side to the verge where you have these well known journalists in the same place just covering different things. I love what i've seen from the GB re-design and this site offers a lot more than just games.