PSP2 (aka NGP) vs. 3DS

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

So before you call me a fanboy for choosing the PSP2 over the 3DS allow me to detail my handheld history. My first Handheld was the original GameBoy in green. I got it as a present for doing well in school and loved it from the moment I had it. For anyone 5 years or so younger than me it was a really big handheld and extremely hard to get it to fit into your pocket. My next handheld, which I got for Xmas, was the Game Boy Color in the see-through plastic. First game for it was Pokémon blue. I know it wasn’t a color game but I wanted it nonetheless. Anyway loved that system especially because my friend stupidly asked his dad to buy him a Game Boy Pocket two months before the color was to come out. The next handheld I got was the Game Boy Advance and again loved that system. Got it for Xmas in white and my first game for it was Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2. The handheld I got next was the PSP. To me it’s the greatest handheld ever made. It always amazed me that I was playing a near console level game on the go. Not only that but it was a pretty good MP3 player and a very good portable video player. Unfortunately the system was ruined by hackers and pirates for people like me who actually paid for their games. That being said I still love the system. Anyway the main reason though I’m choosing the PSP2 over the 3DS is Sony’s history with its products. While people complain about their prices their products are always among the best in the market. Look at the PS1, PS2, and PS3. When they were made they were packed with amazing features and usually at the top of the tech specs for a couple of years. I will be picking up a 3DS eventually but I’ll wait till they come out with more acceptable colors and inevitably come out with a 3DS with better battery life. So for me PSP2 day 1 and 3DS next year. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

... what kind of idiot makes the damn external colour a priority when buying a game device? If it was Barbie pink then I might think otherwise but... seriously? 

@mikey87144 said:

"Unfortunately the system was ruined by hackers and pirates for people like me who actually paid for their games."
Hahahaha. Homebrew was the only reason to own a PSP. I had fullspeed Neo Geo and GBA emulators on mine. Brilliant. Shame the actual PSP game library sucked.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Seems a bit soon to be "choosing" one over the other. It's not even like they're coming out in close windows to each other either. The new PSP does seem cool though. I'm gettin that new-handheld-itch again. I need da new tech! *scratches arm furiously*

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zeforgotten
@JJWeatherman said:
" Seems a bit soon to be "choosing" one over the other. It's not even like they're coming out in close windows to each other either. The new PSP does seem cool though. I'm gettin that new-handheld-itch again. I need da new tech! *scratches arm furiously* "
I can't pick a side, I'm just buying both when they get here.  
It's easier that way
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jack268

You think hackers ruined the PSP? Hackers redeemed it for me. Longer battery life, better ps1 compatibility and emulators made me actually take my PSP with me. I probably would have sold it by now otherwise. 

Anyway, since apparently the PSP2 will have "comparable" battery life to PSP1, that means it's ~5 hours, which is the same as the 3DS. 

I'm probably getting both, unless the PSP2 really has a $500 price tag without contract. Also getting a 3DS lite if the battery is significantly improved. They both seem like incredible handhelds.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've always "gotten use" out of my handhelds but I've never "fallen in love" with any of them. Neither the PSP2 or the 3DS is presenting me with anything interesting. Game-wise they both look like the next generation of "more of the same" to me.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll get one at some point but for now both my PSP and DS are decent enough to satisfy my needs.

Vacancy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vacancy009

Here is the thing with Sony,  they are very hardware dependent.  They came out with Blu-Ray and have spent tons of money getting it to beat out HD-DVD and get traction in the market.  All the while the real goal for software companies and movie distributors is digital distribution and yeah they can fall back on Blu-Ray or DVD for the cases where downloading or streaming isn't a viable option.

It seems Sony is doing something similar with the NGP.  The reason portable gaming sales are taking off right now is because the Iphone and the Android put out quick, cheap, casual games.  You play a game while your on the toilet, while your waiting on an appointment, or while your just bored and want something non intensive to help you pass the time.  Cell phone companies are labeling their phones as portable gaming platforms and Sony hears portable and is like we have one of those,  it looks better, sounds better, and its just as powerful as your home console  but Uncharted and Metal Gear arent the same as angry birds or even the Metal gear Iphone game.  People arent going to want to power up their NGP to progress 5 minutes into a 10 hour storyline no matter how good it looks.  

I think the real winning play that could be had here for Sony is if  it has some sort of marketplace for cheap casual content like the cell phones but also allows you to share a game license with your home console.  So your playing uncharted on your big screen with surround sound before a business trip or vacation and rather than leaving your ps3 behind or packing it up to take with you, you transfer the save file and game to your NGP and can continue that 10 hour experience on the road.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BigLemon
@MysteriousBob said:
" ... what kind of idiot makes the damn external colour a priority when buying a game device? If it was Barbie pink then I might think otherwise but... seriously? "
He never said it was a priority. And anyway, it's no reason to call the guy an idiot.  

@JJWeatherman said:
" Seems a bit soon to be "choosing" one over the other. It's not even like they're coming out in close windows to each other either."
I agree, it does seem a little premature to be leaning one way or the other. Neither device has been released yet, and they really seem like apples and oranges to me. Sure, they are both handheld gaming devices, but it seems like they are two completely different experiences. 
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Gabriel

I choose the Jungle months ago, no room for these "Fakers"

Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MetalGearGeorge

Since the PSP was a failure i will wait to see whether Sony and the 3rd party companies will support it.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777
@JJWeatherman said:
" Seems a bit soon to be "choosing" one over the other. It's not even like they're coming out in close windows to each other either. The new PSP does seem cool though. I'm gettin that new-handheld-itch again. I need da new tech! *scratches arm furiously* "
I'd say that coming in the same year is as close of a hardware launch window as you honestly need. 

Anyways, I do feel like the NGP announcement took a  lot of wind out of the 3DS's sails. Also as launch PSPgo owner, I swore to myself that I would never buy another Sony handheld... but it looks so cool! MUST.RESIST.
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikey87144
@MysteriousBob said:
" ... what kind of idiot makes the damn external colour a priority when buying a game device? If it was Barbie pink then I might think otherwise but... seriously? 

I never said priority. All I mean is that judging from Nintendo's Handheld history they a) will be coming out with a slightly better one in the next year or two and, b) since I already made the decision to wait it will more than likely mean more color choices since Nintendo always does that.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Enigma777 said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
I'd say that coming in the same year is as close of a hardware launch window as you honestly need. "
I was under the impression that that was not the case. I'm talking about U.S. launch though.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Enigma777
@JJWeatherman Both the PS3 and PSPgo had simultaneous global launches, so I wouldn't be surprised if this had one too
masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By masterherocard

I dunno, I'll probably go with the 3DS, if only because it comes out first.
As for the NGP, it does seem interesting, but i've got two worries about it,
the first is the price. Most people (myself included) are probably thinking it'll cost more than the 3ds, but how much is a mystery.
Second are the analog sticks. This is something that would be in a pocket, and if one stick gets caught on something for too long, or if it gets moved around too much, could that mess it up?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By toowalrus

If you're asking which I'm more hyped for, I'm sticking with 3DS. I want Zelda so bad I could fucking puke, but that says more about me than it does Nintendo...

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By plop1920

I am incredibly excited for the psp2. Custom firmware psp was easily my favorite handheld, that thing could do everything but make phone calls. Can't wait to see what the modders do with this thing

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Enigma777 said:

" @JJWeatherman Both the PS3 and PSPgo had simultaneous global launches, so I wouldn't be surprised if this had one too "

Maybe you're right. I just had another impression due to Jeff's article:

The system will hit Japanese shelves, at least, this holiday season.    

I hope you're right. Sooner is always better.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By imsh_pl

It's still waaaay to early to answer this question imho.

Let me see the NGP's pricing and its GAEMZ and I'll choose one.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Klaimore

The PSP was a huge failure and this new NGP will all of its gadgets and so called third party support does not impress me. Although it is still too soon to assume anything I will get the 3DS and most likely the new NGP if get the support its needs as longs as we get more than one cool game for it a year. 

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mikey87144
@Klaimore said:
" The PSP was a huge failure and this new NGP will all of its gadgets and so called third party support does not impress me. Although it is still too soon to assume anything I will get the 3DS and most likely the new NGP if get the support its needs as longs as we get more than one cool game for it a year.  "
The PSP is not a failure. They've sold about 60 million of them. From a software stand because of the rampant piracy then yes it failed but the hardware still sells reasonably well today
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cloudenvy
@Klaimore:  "The PSP was a huge failure" 

You know that the PSP has sold pretty dang well, right? 

That's at least what I remember. 

@mikey87144:  

God dangit, you responded to him right before me.....You win this time sir.    
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By nickux

I need to know the price of the NGP, actual titles available, and other ins, outs, & what-have-yous before I make a decision.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cloudenvy
@nickux:  

In terms of titles..Well, we know an Uncharted game is being worked on, Resistance, Killzone, Wipeout, Yakuza, Lost Planet and I believe an MGS4 port was shown. 

Sounds like a pretty good line-up to me, so far.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm
@mikey87144: I'm not reading that fucking block of text. Paragraphs motherfucker... USE'EM.
YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By YoungFrey

I've had a DS and a PSP for about the same amount of time.  And I've easily used the PSP way more.  Although if Lumines never came out that might be different.  I don't use either a DS or a PSP unless I'm at home or traveling.  So the larger size doesn't bother me (and the bigger PSP screen is a plus).  All I need is Sony to make a knock-off Animal Crossing.  Then I'll have no need of a DS.
BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BBQBram

Hey guys, how about we compare the actual games when they're out. Anyway, I've already pre-ordered the 3DS and the moment some games I want are announced for NGP I'm getting that as well.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By Sooperspy

I will probably go with the 3DS.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#29  Edited By jacksukeru

Definetly getting a 3DS. Cautious about the NGP but will probably pick one up eventually.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm already getting a 3DS but I don't think the NGP is meant for me. Seems like a PS3 on the go... and I have a PS3 already.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By nickux
@Cloudenvy said:
" @nickux:   In terms of titles..Well, we know an Uncharted game is being worked on, Resistance, Killzone, Wipeout, Yakuza, Lost Planet and I believe an MGS4 port was shown.  Sounds like a pretty good line-up to me, so far. "
I want specifics though. I need dates, prices, etc. before I can commit to something like a pre-order. Don't get me wrong I am pretty damn excited but I can't judge it based on the information I have right now. Things like that MGS 4 thing were just demonstrations. E3 will reveal a lot more and get me pretty excited, I'm sure.
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cloudenvy
@nickux said:
" @Cloudenvy said:
" @nickux:   In terms of titles..Well, we know an Uncharted game is being worked on, Resistance, Killzone, Wipeout, Yakuza, Lost Planet and I believe an MGS4 port was shown.  Sounds like a pretty good line-up to me, so far. "
I want specifics though. I need dates, prices, etc. before I can commit to something like a pre-order. Don't get me wrong I am pretty damn excited but I can't judge it based on the information I have right now. Things like that MGS 4 thing were just demonstrations. E3 will reveal a lot more and get me pretty excited, I'm sure. "
I can understand why you'd need that, I was personally sold as soon as they said "Uncharted". 

Hopefully E3 will be amazing.
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mikey87144
@Napalm said:
" @mikey87144: I'm not reading that fucking block of text. Paragraphs motherfucker... USE'EM. "
Typed it on my phone while on the bus.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aus_azn
@MysteriousBob said:
"@mikey87144 said:
"Unfortunately the system was ruined by hackers and pirates for people like me who actually paid for their games."
Hahahaha. Homebrew was the only reason to own a PSP. I had fullspeed Neo Geo and GBA emulators on mine. Brilliant. Shame the actual PSP game library sucked. "
This is beyond right. The only games I bought for it were Persona 3 Portable and Lumines II, both of which I love to bits. Other than that, it is my primary GBA, SNES and NES.

If I had to pick again, I would buy the 3DS for Nintendo's ability to make solid handhelds throughout the GameBoy line and into the DS. I'd rather wait for a full reveal of this as a smartphone-game system hybrid that would hopefully be done better than the N-Gage, and hopefully running an Android derivative since the hardware already seems to be fairly in-line with Android superphones now..
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The DS definitely won out in the early days but when PSP developers started creating games that were really designed for the system, rather than sloppy PS2 ports, the PSP really excelled.  Unfortunately by then, the UMD had pretty much already died and the firmware had been hacked to pieces. 

As for the new systems, it's pretty impossible to tell.  We don't really know enough about either.. the 3DS is the safe bet, but the technology isn't all that impressive and it currently has a very anaemic line up.  We likely won't know much about the NGP at all until E3 but it's definitely has the more impressive tech and it seems to be getting the software support this time.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#36  Edited By Grumbel
@Cloudenvy said:
Sounds like a pretty lame lineup to me, kind of the same issue as the PSP already had: Lesser versions of games, you already played a few years ago on a real console. Not sure, maybe there will be interesting other stuff that we haven't yet seen, but I can't really get excited about regular console games getting handheld ports.
Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Miketakon

Tech wise NGP makes 3DS look like a child's toys.   But when it comes to games i think both lineup are mediocre.  I mean whats with these ports of older games? lol

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dany

This is clearly the correct question to ask before either has come out and been tested

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cloudenvy
@Grumbel said:
" @Cloudenvy said:
Sounds like a pretty lame lineup to me, kind of the same issue as the PSP already had: Lesser versions of games, you already played a few years ago on a real console. Not sure, maybe there will be interesting other stuff that we haven't yet seen, but I can't really get excited about regular console games getting handheld ports. "
To each his own, I guess.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zeforgotten
@Cloudenvy said:
" @Grumbel said:
" @Cloudenvy said:
Sounds like a pretty lame lineup to me, kind of the same issue as the PSP already had: Lesser versions of games, you already played a few years ago on a real console. Not sure, maybe there will be interesting other stuff that we haven't yet seen, but I can't really get excited about regular console games getting handheld ports. "
To each his own, I guess. "
That was not a full MGS4 port that was shown, no. 
It as one scene of the game that was being rendered using the new handheld. (I refuse to call it a Neo Geo Pocket). 
It look like Metal Gear Solid 4, that's for sure. But as Kojima himself said it, It wasn't a new game, it was just a quick thing put together to show that the thing could actually run stuff the PS3 can. 

How a 30 or 40+ (whatever) gb game would fit on that device is beyond me. 
Unless of course there's a 10tb Memory Card out there I haven't heard about yet o.O
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cloudenvy
@ZeForgotten said:
" @Cloudenvy said:
" @Grumbel said:
" @Cloudenvy said:
To each his own, I guess. "
That was not a full MGS4 port that was shown, no. It as one scene of the game that was being rendered using the new handheld. (I refuse to call it a Neo Geo Pocket). It look like Metal Gear Solid 4, that's for sure. But as Kojima himself said it, It wasn't a new game, it was just a quick thing put together to show that the thing could actually run stuff the PS3 can.  How a 30 or 40+ (whatever) gb game would fit on that device is beyond me. Unless of course there's a 10tb Memory Card out there I haven't heard about yet o.O "  

Coolio, thanks for correcting.