Question about sticking to a game

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When you get a game do you play only that game until you finish it, or do you alternate by also playing other games?

I have a weird habit that if i take a break from a game i dont come back and finish it...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Depends on the game, but I usually intersperse whatever I'm playing with Dota anyway. A lot of the times though I do end up 'having a break' and then just not finishing it. I'm still working my way through Metro Last Light once every three months or so.

Snipen8r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raspharus: This is exactly why the majority of games I play go unfinished. I pick some epic RPG or whatever that I really want to play but know I don't have any time for. I start playing it and then something else comes out I start playing that and take a break from the 1st game for 2 weeks. When I return I can't remember anything that's going on and have to start over. I restarted the first Mass Effect 4 times after putting in about 10 - 20 hours each time!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally speaking play one game at a time, moving on only once it's finished. I will occasionally have another game that I play alongside the main one, most often an online mode of some kind (Splatoon or The Last of Us for examples) or a 3DS game.

But for the most part, it's a single game untill its finished.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have gotten better with sticking with a game. In part because I am primarily playing on only one console (PS4) and the odd Steam thing these days instead of 2-3 consoles and Steam. And I'm trying to go a bit financially leaner on games in favor of other things. So right now I am sort of just playing one or at most two games at a time.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It depends on how into that game I am, although I go through phases a lot were each day/week I only want to play a certain type of game genre/setting.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Depends on my mood and the game. Sometimes one game will grab me and not let go and sometimes I'll just wanna play a bunch of stuff so I'll cycle between a handful of games for a while. When I got Inquisition, that was the only thing I touched until I finished it while I've been "playing" Revelations 2 for the past 3 months because I'll play a chapter here and not touch it for a few weeks then play another chapter and so on.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

If I stay with it, I get annoyed that it's so long. This goes for short games even.

If I alternate with other games, some go unfinished and I lose interest. Though maybe this is actually a good thing, subconsciously knowing that I don't want to keep playing that game.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got the same problem. The issue is that if I stick with a game for too long without a break, I'll get burned out on it and end up abandoning it for a while anyway. If it's an RPG, at a certain point I have to just abandon the thought of doing anymore side activities and mainline the story. In fact, I just had to do this with the Witcher 3 because there are so many side things to do and I was feeling my commitment beginning to fray.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I used to alternate or at least I would start a new game when I wasn't finished with another one. But what would generally seem to happen would be I would start a third game before I had beaten the second one I had started so I would forget about the first and that pattern would just repeat. This resulted in me now having a dozen or two PS3 games that I'm roughly 3/4s of the way through. I made a promise to myself when I bought my PS4 that I wouldn't let that happen again. So now I'm pretty strict on myself of only playing through one game at a time regardless of how long it takes. It's worked so far as every PS4 game I have started, except the free PS plus ones I sometimes download, I have finished. By finished I primarily mean beating the main story line not necessarily doing ever last side activity, quest, job, etc. Whatever results in the credits rolling basically.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most games I'll play and never end up finishing it. But on rare occasions when I'm honestly enjoying a game I'll beat it all the way through. I guess as most people say, it depends on the game. In most cases though, my ADHD gets the best of me and I'm on to something else pretty soon.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ozzdog12

I normally just do one game at a time, but lately I've been rotating MKX online and NBA2K15 on PS4 and trying to work my way through my Steam backlog until Arkham Knight comes out. Most of my friends juggle like 4-7 games at a time and I just don't understand how they do it.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For certain games I like to have my main serious game and also a palate cleanser to offset it.

For example: Dark Souls/Saints Row 3, Witcher 2/DmC (I do not recommend that combination as it makes the Witcher 2 combat seem even worse by comparison), and Bloodborne/Grow Home. I know there have been others but those are the ones that stand out.

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Usually when I play a spooky game I tend to switch between titles. I just completed Silent Hill 2 while switching between Psychonauts, good combo.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I had a phase when I bought a lot of games cause I wanted them in my collection and just played a couple hours but for the last few years, I've gotten back into finishing them. I will dip into sc2, sports or racing games time to time but if I'm playing a campaign, I usually just focus on that if it's pretty good.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I alternate between other games. Once I start to really like a game and get into it, then I usually just play that game until I finish it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends how much I like the game. If I really like it I'll pretty much play that one game until I beat it, but most of the time I am playing 2-5 games at a time depending on platform or if I take a break from a game.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only play games on a weekly basis, so if I don't touch something for about two weeks, I usually move on to something else and eventually get back to it when I have the time to binge.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to focus on one game at a time but will sometimes play other games while still at it.

For a while now, multiplayer games have been where I've dumped most of my time, I'll put a few months into one then take a break from it, put a few months into another one, then cycle through a few more then go back to the first.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed this generation I either, don't have a game I'm invested in and will just cycle through my favorite ps plus games while listening to a podcast, sometimes only playing one game for 15 minutes before moving on. The other scenario is I have a game I'm into but my friends are not( Bloodborne or Witcher being prime examples) and I play that game exclusively unless a friend ask to game, then I'll switch over to whatever they want to play which gives me a great chance to play something else which I imagine helps me from getting burned out on the game I'm primarily focused on.

It also gives the added bonus of getting to laugh at yourself playing Battlefield trying to do a Bloodborne roll to the side during a firefight

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

That's not weird.

Just relax.

Don't judge your own / others gaming habits.

Play what you like duder, for as long as you like. If you want to make a "To Do List", go for it. But ain't no thang.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I try to balance a game or two (or three) between different settings and systems. PC games or mobile games at work, console or PC games at home.

I also try to beat everything I play, quitting is usually I can't stand playing the game or another game completely grabbed my attention away from it.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If you didn't feel like returning to the game to finish it, then that's the game's problem, surely.

I used to be kinda ocd about having to finish a game no matter how awful it was, but that was because I was 8 and I got two games a year from my parents. These days, if I don't finish something, that's fine, my time is worth much more than whatever money I spent on the game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm sort of the worst about juggling between separate games without finishing any of them. I've gotten better, but I still get pretty aimless at times.

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As some who finally has time after graduating college, I am having trouble sticking to a singe game now that I bought my myself a gaming PC, I bought so many damn games I keep alternating. I've deleted alot games from my library but I am still juggling between Borderlands 2, CS:GO and Witcher 3.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@par1val said:

As some who finally has time after graduating college, I am having trouble sticking to a singe game now that I bought my myself a gaming PC, I bought so many damn games I keep alternating. I've deleted alot games from my library but I am still juggling between Borderlands 2, CS:GO and Witcher 3.

That's actually my biggest issue. I can't delete games from my local steam folders. I mean, what if I need to play Revengeance right NOW!? Having to download it would ruin everything.

So I just buy more 500gb SSDs to fill up with games I almost never play. Some kind of digital hoarder syndrome or something.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually juggle a 2 or 3 games at a time mainly. Right now it is Witcher 3, USFIV on PS4, and Sunset Overdrive. Will likely switch Witcher 3 and Sunset Overdrive for Arkham Knight and DMC4 SE in a couple weeks. It is usually that kind of combo where it is one game that sucks in a lot of time in Witcher 3 and one that I can play casually like USFIV.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

That's very normal in today's era of gaming, it's not a you problem, it's just a side-effect of modern game design and game distribution, don't feel bad about it.

As for me, I generally play one single player game at a time. Occasionally on a big Open World I'll take a break midway through which a palette cleanser game. I find Open world games easier to pick up and set down then RPGs (especially JRPGs) because of the extremely hand holdy quest reminders and such. I try to make sure I switch genres when I move onto my next game.

And regardless of whatever I'm playing solo I have regular multiplayer games I play with friends. So I guess I juggle games a little bit.

I often finish most of what I play, unless I really get bored or just am unable to. But if I'm playing a narrative heavy game if I set it down for more than a week , I often lose the drive to go back to it.

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a really bad case of not being able to stick to one game. Here has been my rotation lately: Evil Within > Dark Souls 2 > Forza Horizon 2 > Bloodborne > MKX > Bloodborne > Forza Horizon 2 > MKX > Witcher 3 > Pool FX > Halo Master Chief Collection > Evil Within > Forza Horizon 2 > Mario Kart 8 > The Fall > Bloodborne > Ground Zeroes > Massive Chalice > Witcher 3