Quick Looks on Gamespot

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Wen't searching for Danny's Hatoful Boyfriend stuff on GameSpot and I noticed they had the last few GiantBomb quick looks posted on their front page. I know they are owned by the same company and I have no agency in the matter but I still felt weird about it. Does anybody else feel off put seeing the GiantBomb Quicklooks on Gamespot?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Ya, they've been posting quick looks on Gamespots front page news feed for a few months now. I like looking at them there from time to time to see the weird reaction comments other people have when stumbling on to them.

I find that stuff funny even though most of it is mainly just calling the Giant Bomb peeps stupid or something if they disagree or whatever.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's an interesting turn of events. I think Jeff mentioned it before, felt like a small victory. Or kind of a subtle FU.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The merger is creeping in so slowly that almost no one will notice once they're done :P

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

GB has to prop up GameSpot somehow until CBS approves the merger.

Jokes aside, why do you have an issue with it? I'm glad the content is going out to as many people as possible. It'll bring a lot of fresh faces here who might otherwise not visit - and more people means more subscriptions which means more funding for Dan to accomplish all of his dreams. I heard they're doing the next Mario Party while riding on a space shuttle.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

All I know is we need more Danny and Mary on GB. As long as we get that in return, I'm cool.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By themangalist

I watched some video content produced over at GS and shame they didn't get much views. I actually like the blend of information and personality they got with the GS crew, more than pure personality over here.

Or maybe it's just the GS users are just TOXIC.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By s10129107

GB has to prop up GameSpot somehow until CBS approves the merger.

Jokes aside, why do you have an issue with it? I'm glad the content is going out to as many people as possible. It'll bring a lot of fresh faces here who might otherwise not visit - and more people means more subscriptions which means more funding for Dan to accomplish all of his dreams. I heard they're doing the next Mario Party while riding on a space shuttle.

I've been thinking about why it bothers me. i guess it's because I subscribe to support the bombcast crew and i don't like the idea that that is going to help some other entity. Also Giant Bomb's unique coverage is what creates traffic to the site which is what earns GB money. Posting GB content on Gamespot can steal some of that traffic. Even though they are the same company I'm sure it still matters how much traffic goes where.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@s10129107: I didn't think about it that way, especially considering that GS viewers probably aren't subscribers. In general I think spreading GB content is a good idea, but I think a link to the GB page would be a better alternative then rehosting the video on GS.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@myketuna said:

All I know is we need more Danny and Mary on GB. As long as we get that in return, I'm cool.

We need Avalon Part 2 featuring Jeff yelling and harassing Dan who he thinks is the assassin (even though he is Merlin).

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

@s10129107: Don't worry. They're just embedding the video from here over there so it technically only adds to Giant Bomb's numbers. If anyone watches one and loves what they do they can easily come over here to watch more if they wanted to as well. It would support Giant Bomb more as it gives them more visibility. The only thing Gamespot gets is another page view on top of the numbers Giant Bomb gets on the video which doesn't really amount to that much.

The only thing I see as a problem is how it is not entirely clear where the video comes from. It usually only says "From the Giant Bomb crew" above their videos but if someone doesn't know what that means they could possibly be confused by it, maybe. There's no link back which is slightly odd.

I'm only speculating, though. I don't know what a world is like without Giant Bomb. If you googled Giant Bomb Crew it'd probably be easy to find what that meant I guess.

It isn't really going to hurt either website, though. It doesn't really seem to add much. At least if the comments on the videos are any indication they don't get many views from Gamespot posting them. That's just a guess, though. Usually higher views means more comments and their videos don't get many comments on Gamespot. I think they get more hits on youtube but they also embed the youtube video on this site so that number is also hard to really factor where someone sees it from.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#FollowTheMoney

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way to go, GB #PutTheTeamOnYoBack

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I feel fine about it. Both sites cross over with each other occasionally and It only makes sense. They're part of the same corporate family.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By AMyggen

This has been happening for about 6 months now, maybe a bit less. An engineer at GS said in the GB thread on NeoGAF that it greatly helps GB's visability on Google to have those QLs on GS, pointing back to GB. So it's all good. It won't steal from GB's traffic, it will add to GB's traffic.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this is mutually beneficial to both companies. If this leads to a merger, I'm packing it up and travelling to sites unknown

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider: I'd be joining you dude, as much as this sites community can get a little white-knighty and high-horsey at times I like the very personal feel it has. It's been cool watching the site grow and expand from its beginnings but it'd feel kinda gross to see further 'expansion' occur by sewing the carcass of Gamespot onto the site in some kinda freaky Frankenstein/Siamese twin-esque surgery.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@myketuna said:

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this is mutually beneficial to both companies. If this leads to a merger, I'm packing it up and travelling to sites unknown

In the mythical "merger" we always joke about, we mostly mean that GB stays the exact same but now Danny and Mary are part of the team. Would you be truly opposed to that situation?

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ratamero

I'd only support a merger if it means the website changes its name to Gamebomb