Avatar image for theps2collector
ThePS2Collector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThePS2Collector

While watching Jeff's Extra Life livestream he mentioned Ranking of Fighters. I really enjoy Ranking of Fighters because it's a wonderful series that hopefully continues for the long haul.

It also inspired me to do do a "ranking" of my own - one of Giant Bomb content. I decided to go with Quick Looks as there's a ton of them I've never watched before. There's apparently 2000+ of them at this point so it'll be a long project...

I have a few questions regarding Quick Looks.

1. Do "Unfinished" videos count as Quick Looks to you? They are filtered into the same video category but don't carry that official QL name as a part of their title. (Answer: Yes)
  2. What are some of your favorite under the radar QLs? I've already scoured multiple threads about the best QLs out there and have seen most of those obvious picks multiple times.
  3. Is there anything I could do to make the Ranking of Quick Looks more interesting? Right now I just set up a Tumblr page and update it with a super brief post about a QL, then update the ranking board. One idea I have is to provide some analysis of QL content after watching more (most common QL crew, consoles covered most/least, etc) but that will have to wait a bit.

Thanks for reading through my rambling. If you want to keep tabs on Ranking of Quick Looks here is a link to the Tumblr.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

1. Yeah probably

3. Needs more SCIENCE!

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. sure, its still a QL just of an unfinnished game. same with the QL exclusives sure they dont have the same naming but its still the same format

2 no idea

3. no idea

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Yeah

2. Anytime its a less common pairing its gold. All the guys have great chemistry, but a lot of QLs are the same matchups of the guys. When its one that doesn't happen as much, especially cross-coastal these days, its great. The single best quick look is not under the radar though, its Contradiction: Spot the Liar.

3. No idea.

ThePS2Collector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThePS2Collector

Thanks so far! I think it's safe to remove question 1 from the list now as it seems all are in agreement that Unfinished videos are absolutely Quick Looks.

@dudeglove Thanks! I have actually been planning to add my own highlights to QLCrew while watching QLs. since older videos don't have nearly as many. Your list on the site is reminding me of multiple videos I've been meaning to watch, as well :P.

As for adding more SCIENCE (a necessary component of any Ranking Of), I'll see what I can do.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm weirdly into this.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Y2Ken

If Euro Truck Simulator 2 doesn't rank highly then your science has gone awry. Contradiction, Don Bradman Cricket, and Velvet Sundown too.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The best pairing is Ryan and Jeff. Any with those 2 should be in the top of your list

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@matoya said:

The best pairing is Ryan and Jeff. Any with those 2 should be in the top of your list

Agreed. I have high hopes in the placement of Dick Kickers.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13 fisk0  Moderator

I have no idea if it's under the radar or not, but the A Boy And His Blob quick look was amazing.

I'm sure anything wih Dave Snider would be highly ranked, but outside of the most popular flight club stuff, I really like the Evochron Mercenary quick look (still a bit bummed neither Drew nor Vinny looked at its sequel).

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

These are quite popular picks but both Motorbike and Ride to Hell Retribution are simply amazing. Recorded in the same session too I think. Jeff/Vinny pairings are probably the best ones imo. Ryan/Vinny or Ryan/Jeff ones were usually great.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, just about any of the ones from the first year or two would make the top ten. They had such a guerrilla-feel to them and was the crew at their most 'raw' for lack of a better description.

In the last year or two they've gotten away from quick looks sadly and it has mostly because subscription-based content (not a bad thing) but when they do them now they are typically more well done than they were back in the beginning. It is hard to put my finger on it.

For me personally, one of the most standout ones is the first Wipeout quicklook Vinny and Ryan did. The janky ass game followed by Vinny and Ryan's uncontrollable laughter was so endearing it almost made me go buy a Wii just to play the game with friends (luckily having no money back then meant I didn't).

jaytee00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jaytee00
@matoya said:

Agreed. I have high hopes in the placement of Dick Kickers.

Not a QL but people need to watch this classic remix

Loading Video...

joroak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Westerado: Double Barreled with Jeff and Dan is one of my all time favs

Loading Video...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

probably not the best but quite enjoyed this one:

Loading Video...

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hans_maulwurf

One of the slightly more obscure qls I return to on an annual basis is Angelica Weaver: Catch me when you can.

The no1 spot is fixed though, ain't getting any better than crash time.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the best quick look because it perfectly encapsulates what makes Giant Bomb so great. As much as I love the newer duders like Dan and Jason, the first quartet of Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny will never be beat. Those four had something special, and that's why the New Super Mario Bros. Wii quick looks is my favorite.

ThePS2Collector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThePS2Collector

I am loving these links - thanks for everyone helping out so far! Trying not to watch them all immediately, though (as I'll need to watch them yet again when it's time to do the SCIENCE).

My goal is to watch a Quick Look a day and rank them as they come. So, in general I'll be alternating picks from what's new on the site, videos being mentioned in the thread, and by simply digging around the archives.

Quick question: Recently I used a fan-made site that lets you click a button to get a random QL. Anyone know the URL offhand?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Ravaged had some pretty solid moments. It's one I remember the best

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I'm sure you've seen it pop up on most of the "Best of" threads, but damnit if this isn't one of the best Quick Looks of all time

TomyDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using the "under the radar" criteria, the Castlevania: Harmony of Despair QL is a good one.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

What the shit? Does nobody remember the Motorbike quick look? I have never NEVER laughed so hard while alone.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

What the shit? Does nobody remember the Motorbike quick look? I have never NEVER laughed so hard while alone. On mobile so I can't embed.

This might actually be the best quick look on the site. I've watched it a solid 10 times and it's still hilarious.

Whateaver that WHAT THE FOXTROT game was is a pretty good one too. And obviously Rogue Warrior is a classic.

RafamanGrundy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Chicken Horse is one I don't see mentioned often, which made me laugh the most out of any QL since the early days.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No love for Contradiction? For shame, for shame!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Motorbike really is one of the best QLs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I never see the Kinect Nat Geo TV QL mentioned, but its one of the funniest ones imo.

Loading Video...

Pretty much all of the Kinect stuff with Ryan and Jeff was fantastic.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this one is my favorite

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By DinosaurCanada

I'd say Unfinisheds count, fuck it. A few random favorites I can think of off the top of my head that are yet to be posted

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EthanielRain

Dragonball: Evolution QL is my vote for #1; I remember showing it to my friends who aren't into GB/videogames and even they laughed pretty good. But my "under the radar" pick is

I think it's both funny (TET-TRA-IS!) and introduced an import game I'd never have heard of otherwise.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You can also do that on QL Crew: Best QLs

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kilroyandy

Euro Truck is still probably the best QL, however, a QL around Spooky Zombie Trains and a beautiful Train Flight at the end could clinch it.....

Paulrs90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Paulrs90

Velvet sundown with vinny and Alex is hilarious, it's vinny at his best.

I know it's recent and part of the vrodeo but rec room is excellent aswell

Edit: spelling

Leeftie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I agree with this thread. My favorite: The Wipeout Quick Look. Also the stock character is a really good match for a cartoony Ryan

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best

Loading Video...
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By ajamafalous

It's not under the radar but Noby Noby Boy is my favorite QL

howelcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue Warrior is the best QL as said by others on here.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Kore Gang remains one of my all-time favorites. While not quite "under the radar", I don't see it on many lists posted here.