Recommend me an actually scary game that has guns

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hencook

Resident Evil and Silent Hill are really mild for me in the scares department. Anyone know any games where you spend the majority of it with any kind of weapon in your hands, but it's real scurry?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Doom III is terrifying to me, I honestly can't finish it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Alien: Isolation is pretty tense/scary. Especially because (most of) your guns don't do shit to the xenomorph.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

FEAR

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Doom 3 and FEAR and Dead Space are probably the best you'll do. Being able to defend yourself well eventually makes things not so scary.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Resident Evil I get, but Silent Hill...? Really? I mean if those games can't get to you at all then I don't know what will.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I was going to say Condemned but just remembered that was more about melee combat. You should probably still play it because fuck that AI.

Doom 3 is pretty scary too, though I think a lot of it has to do with enemies you didn't hear spawn creeping up and surprising you.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

System Shock 1 & 2

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've played all of these, except Isolation, and none of these really scared me. My kryptonite is(are?) babies and kids. Here are my top...and only scary moments for me in games with weapons.

Small spoilers

1. Silent Hill 3's mannequin room

2. Fear 1. The first level where Alma's creepin' around.

3. Tie between Doom 3 baby monsters and Condemned's Doll factory (apart from the melee combat, Condemned was utterly forgetable).

4. Resident Evil 4's regenerator snickering. Just the first minute of it. After that, I kinda started snickering with him.

Well, thanks for trying guys.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

I don't think it's scary, but F.E.A.R. is the best choice here. I think F.E.A.R. 2, even though cliche in how it does its fear, is scarier than the first, but the first game has slightly better shooting I think. The difference between the two is that the first F.E.A.R. to me was extremely intense my first time playing on its hardest setting due to the intelligent A.I., while the Alma stuff didn't really phase me, but Alma in two was more effective than the Replica Soldier A.I. in two. Dead Space is also a fantastic game, but only under certain conditions is it scary.

Edit - Oh, I suppose I should read through the comments before posting. I see you already said you played F.E.A.R. and Dead Space.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game is much less scary with a gun in your hand. Just saying.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Omega

If kids scare you then Rule of Rose might be your thing. Just pretend your fork is really a gun.

Siren maybe?

The Evil Within has guns, though the only thing that's scary about The Evil Within is how terrible it is.

I enjoyed Fatal Frame it's pretty spooky and though you're using a camera it's actually better than a gun. You can't expect to kill ghosts with bullets, right?

I dunno what to tell you. Silent Hill is the scariest game series out there and if you're unmoved by it then I don't know what you should play.

Super Best Friends channel on youtube has a bunch of quick looks of obscure horror games they do every october. The series is called The Shitstorm of Scariness maybe you should give it a look and maybe you'll find a game more to your liking.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a gun wouldn't that inherently eliminate much of the fear?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hencook: the first half of Dead Space is genuinely creepy so you might want to try it out. The latter half becomes more gun oriented with jump scares scattered throughout.

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefalcon: Welllll, having a gun doesn't completely eliminate the fear, and some games do better at keeping the tension levels high, I just thought there was some sorta game I missed out on that did that very well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Dead space would be what I recomend. Creates a really tense atmosphere, plus the guns are actually fun without breaking it.

Also the first Bioshock maybe. Parts of that game creeped me out for like the first quartet of it. Once you get a wrench tonic though, you're the monster.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't know, you seem pretty brave and bad ass. Deadly Premonition, then.

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Dead Space 1 was probably scarier than any of the RE's, including Remake, and Doom 3, but, nah, still mild sauce.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@ntm said:

I don't think it's scary, but F.E.A.R. is the best choice here. I think F.E.A.R. 2, even though cliche in how it does its fear, is scarier than the first, but the first game has slightly better shooting I think.

FEAR 2 also looks a fair deal better. FEAR was 2005 in the weird limbo period between graphics generations, FEAR 2 looks solidly seventh-gen.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hayt

Alien is definitely up there but might not fit as the guns dont harm the xenomorph.

Give Cry of Fear a go. It's free and pretty good if a bit cheap with it's scares at times.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FEAR 2 is so underrated

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if it would hold up but Clive Barker's Undying had some pretty decent scares.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Full List

Dead Space, Alan Wake, Clive Barkers Jericho, Metro 2033 and Last Light, Call of Cthulu Dark Corners of the Earth, Condemned 1 and 2, D2, Demention The Ward 1 and 2, Dino Crisis 1-3, IllBleed, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Siren Blood Curse.

Recommended

Call of Cthulu Dark Corners of the Earth, and Siren Blood Curse seriously they are the scariest games you will ever play like to hell with Siren Blood Curse I've never even finished it.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can't even recommend a scary game in general

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By slyspider

Fear gave me nightmares. I'm a wimp when it comes to horror though

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By tkalsey

surprised that nobody has said Dead Space

edit: woops haruko said it

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTM

Aw, yes. Alan Wake can be quite intense. I love Alan Wake, but unfortunately some of that intensity comes from its shortcomings, or what I find unrealistic. Basically, it's not so easy to run away from enemies as you have very limited sprint time, so attempting to run can often become intense.