Recommend Some Multiplayer Games

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

So I'm thinking about getting back into multiplayer gaming having been out of the loop for some time and am considering blogging about it in the process.

So in order to ensure that I don't overlook some key games or genres I'm asking for the communities help so please post your game recommendations below for good online multiplayer games, particularly those which have a focus on competitive multiplayer. I'm also looking for recommendations across all platforms so regardless of the platform post your recommendation below.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I'm more of a cooperative multiplayer guy if any but Soul Calibur 2 HD Online is pretty great, no clue how the community is though. I'm not into shooters but I had a ton of fun with Titanfall over the free weekend, take that as you will.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Team Fortress 2/Counter Strike: GO/Day Of Defeat: Source for your PC twitch shooter fix. Say what you want about the CoD series in the last few years but Black Ops II is an insane mountain of fun (mostly Domination game son Nuketown).

I assume Super/Ultra Street Fighter IV still has a large online player base.

Also there is this DOTA thing? I don't know.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Counterstrike is always a good choice, and Global Offensive is a great version of it whether you're super competitive or just looking to have fun.

MOBAs (god that is such a stupid term) are huge right now, so you'll see very active communities within a large number of them, though obviously League of Legends and Dota 2 are the big ones.

The upcoming Destiny isn't competitive focused specifically (with cooperative being the main hook), but the competitive mulitplayer present in the alpha sure was a hell of a lot of fun.

The Last of Us had shockingly great multiplayer for what is obviously a single player focused game, and you can certainly expect a pretty big following when the Remastered version hits the PS4 next month.

If you're interested in less traditional multiplayer, the Souls games are among the best, and they all have dedicated communities of people that really get into the multiplayer dueling and invading (even Demon's Souls is still active).

Beyond these, there are of course the typical games like Battlefield and Call of Duty which will always have tons of people playing the most recent installment.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Titanfall and Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare are both fun, easy to get into, games with totally different tones

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Titanfall was a lot of fun if you want mechs in your CoD.

The various incarnations on Counter Strike still have players.

Uh... not sure about anything else. Battlefield 4 if it isn't still a buggy mess.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7 fisk0  Moderator

Unreal Tournament 1999 is still amazing. I really like last year's Rise of the Triad too, but it's online community is pretty small, pretty much just limited to their Saturday Night ROTT events. Ace Combat Assault Horizon is in a similar seat on all platforms, it's got it's amazing Capital Conquest mode, but very few players, though it's slightly easier to find matches on PS3 than PC.

HAWKEN is a pretty decent free to play competitive multiplayer mech game that's worth checking out too.

The only MOBA-ish game I've had some fun with is AirMech, but that's mostly playing against bots.

thanous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Titanfall and Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare are both fun, easy to get into, games with totally different tones

agreed completely on pvz gw

also I have really enjoyed doing co-op on the fable games.