Revisiting old (hard) games

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By benpack

Today I was cleaning up my shelf, going through and organizing all my old games when I came across two games that I had to take a second look at. They were Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, and Baten Kaitos. 

Both GameCube games, I realized I loved these games when I had first bought them, but I never remembered beating them. So I loaded up Metal Arms and almost instantly the terrible memories came flowing back to me. I instantly recognized the level I was on, because I couldn't beat it back in 200X. Well I sat down and had to play it only about 2-3 times and beat it, very easily. We all hear that taking a break on a hard level then going back is helpful, but I guess I never thought that break needed to be several years.

The same thing happened with Baten Kaitos. I was on the last boss of the game, and beat him on my second try. Now I'm going back through my whole collection of games, starting with the GameCube. I am a hoarder and never sold my old games, so I feel like I'm going to find quite a few that I could never beat.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By benpack

Today I was cleaning up my shelf, going through and organizing all my old games when I came across two games that I had to take a second look at. They were Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, and Baten Kaitos. 

Both GameCube games, I realized I loved these games when I had first bought them, but I never remembered beating them. So I loaded up Metal Arms and almost instantly the terrible memories came flowing back to me. I instantly recognized the level I was on, because I couldn't beat it back in 200X. Well I sat down and had to play it only about 2-3 times and beat it, very easily. We all hear that taking a break on a hard level then going back is helpful, but I guess I never thought that break needed to be several years.

The same thing happened with Baten Kaitos. I was on the last boss of the game, and beat him on my second try. Now I'm going back through my whole collection of games, starting with the GameCube. I am a hoarder and never sold my old games, so I feel like I'm going to find quite a few that I could never beat.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

o yes revisiting old games. i remember getting metal arms glitch in the system. i thought that game was great. there were some hard parts but it was good game. 

it is amazing how playing games you think are hard now but go back to them are easy. it is just weird, i guess it's from learning and living life from different games. i remember getting mega man X for SUPER nintendo. it took me like a couple of months to a year to finally get to the last boss. this year i played it on emulator i got to the boss within 2 hours or so. i think half of it is because i remember most of the secrets in that game.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalm

Streets Of Rage 3 on normal ain't no fucking joke. I love old games because for me at least, the experience lies more in the journey rather than finding the actual end. Though, there is still satisfaction once you complete the game fully.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By benpack
@iam3green: Yeah, I had a very similar experience with Megaman X2.
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Mrskidders

I tried to play Yolanda on my old Atari ST today.  It fucking ruined my Sunday.  It is the most strange and random game ever.  Everything fucking kills you and nothing makes sense.  Have a clip of what I was struggling with..

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@GlenTennis said:
"I am a hoarder and never sold my old games, so I feel like I'm going to find quite a few that I could never beat. "
With the second-hand market as poor as it is, keeping your games is the better option. You keep the software and can play it years down the line (like you have) if you ever wish. 

I can't count the number of times I've whipped out my N64 and Gamecube over the last few years. Any time I've sold a game I've regretted doing it (unless they were your run of the mill Dirt, Fight Night World at War etc).
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benpack
@Mrskidders said:

" I tried to play Yolanda on my old Atari ST today.  It fucking ruined my Sunday.  It is the most strange and random game ever.  Everything fucking kills you and nothing makes sense.  Have a clip of what I was struggling with..

"
Oh man I was laughing so hard when the floor would just randomly catch fire. Also the floating bull-thing. This proves there are... limits... in regards to re-visiting some older games.

I just remembered an Gameboy game I had. It was Star Wars themed and had Yoda on the cartridge. I can't remember what it was called, but it was like an adventure game. The first level you played as Han Solo and I could not for the life of me figure out what to do. I must have played that first level 30 times and never beat it. I always got to this one point where you had to fix the Millennium Falcon, and I just couldn't do it.
Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Parabole

I still haven't beaten Devil May Cry on hard.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By buzz_clik

I just recently (re)purchased the original Driver because I never finished it - the last level was friggin' insane, with the cops all juiced up and out for blood. It made for some hilarious moments... until you wanted to actually complete the game. I'm determined to do it this time, but seeing as I've no idea where my save game's memory card is, I'm going to have to start all over again. Gah!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aetheldod

I think that you get better with the years .... I remember a ton of NES games that I thought unbeatable but nowadays they are easy ,I hardly doubt that the games magicly made themselves easier , so ....

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By buzz_clik
@Mrskidders: Ugh, that looks like a weird rancid Miner Willy style form of shabby frustration. That tinny jingle that plays at the start of each life is brilliant/fucked.
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By fripplebubby
@Aetheldod said:
" I think that you get better with the years .... I remember a ton of NES games that I thought unbeatable but nowadays they are easy ,I hardly doubt that the games magicly made themselves easier , so .... "
That's what happens to old cartridges. They slowly decay in difficulty. 

Or that's what I tell myself...
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By benpack
@Aetheldod said:
" I think that you get better with the years .... I remember a ton of NES games that I thought unbeatable but nowadays they are easy ,I hardly doubt that the games magicly made themselves easier , so .... "
True, but there's also times I'll go back to an SNES game I thought was a breeze, like Contra 4, and totally suck ass.
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mrskidders
@buzz_clik: Yeh, the evil pyscho music that makes you have to run and make a fast decision is ridiculous.  I don't even know if the game had an end, logical level structure or anything.  Never got that far with a one button joystick.  Turns out im still shit at it as well.  On the plus side, I completed Treasure Island Dizzy this morning.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buzz_clik
@Mrskidders said:
" On the plus side, I completed Treasure Island Dizzy this morning. "
Instant Follow, sir.
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mrskidders
@buzz_clik: Thanks for appreciating the awesome!
fjor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By fjor

i was never able to beat    Spiderman and and the X-Men Arcade's Revenge :(

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoeats

I have grown so accustomed to checkpoints and saving that I find most older games fairly difficult to get very far in. I didn't grow up with them though, so I suppose that has something to do with it. I don't believe that I have ever "finished" an NES game.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benpack