Running HDMI through my ceiling tonight

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

and I'm all of a sudden stressed about my wireless 360 controller, wireless headset (if I want audio that way) and wireless keyboard. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm running a 50ft cable through the ceiling to my living room (from my office) and where I'll be physically sitting is probably 20-25ft from my desktop.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Not with HDMI, but I did try doing it with a CAT-5 cable, and it had considerable lag.

You are probably asking about the wireless degradation though. Bluetooth should be good up to 30ft. That would be without walls. What I would do is turn your desktop and controller dongle on, and start steam big picture mode, or whatever, and then just take everything you need into the room you want to play in, and just start pressing buttons, if you can move the menu from the other room, then you should be fine.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

Not with HDMI, but I did try doing it with a CAT-5 cable, and it had considerable lag.

You are probably asking about the wireless degradation though. Bluetooth should be good up to 30ft. That would be without walls. What I would do is turn your desktop and controller dongle on, and start steam big picture mode, or whatever, and then just take everything you need into the room you want to play in, and just start pressing buttons, if you can move the menu from the other room, then you should be fine.

..that makes sense. I'll give that a go, thanks.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got no advice just wanted to see what it was all about. good luck to you

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I've had poor, poor luck when it comes to wireless keyboards. I've had a couple different Logitech ones that lose their signal and become incredibly frustrating to navigate with at just about 11-12 feet away, no walls. 360 and PS3 controllers seem to work from across the house, though.

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Your controller is going to eat it's batteries if you're far away enough from the receiver. Enough trips to the kitchen from my room while talking to my friends over party chat seems to drain them faster than just leaving the controller behind.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For some reason I thought the title said "Running HDMI through my skull tonight".

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Toxeia

My wireless controllers, keyboards, and mice can't even make it through my ankle and an empty blu-ray case. You're fucked, burn the house down.

Why not run USB over ethernet and hook plug in your headset and controller into that? I'm assuming you've got a USB headset I guess though...