KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Bros (and Women), 

Now I haven't heard much about this movie called Scott Pilgrim...and I recently started to watch trailers of it.  I noticed that it shares a very similar story to No More Heroes:  Heroes' Paradise (the true version of NMH). 

Hell, then I started to read the book...and noticed IT IS the same damn story.   

The bro is killin' dudes for some ass.  Scott for the punk chick, Travis for the hot ass blonde.  Now I'm not gonna say who is copying who, as I have no proof of when both came into concepts but this here is disturbing.   

Travis, a loser who is cool...Scott a cool guy who is a loser.  Both have the same kind of wit, both have amazing strengths, both fight amazing bosses, and both are doing it for the fine-fine ass.  Now, I'm not gonna say which girl is better, as you guys can decide for yourselves (it's the blonde in NHM), but I'm surprised as to why this gets a movie but NMH doesn't. 

Literally Scott Pilgrim copied EVERYTHING from NMH, even the damn music is similar to the 8-bit tunes used in NMH and the random video game moments.  Now I will go watch this Scott Pilgrim on Friday and make up my mind then, but until then...I'm just gonna say it's a rip-off from NMH.   

Anyone else feeling a similar vibe from Scotty here?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, true version? The hell? They're pretty much the same, aren't they? Anyway, yea, I noticed the exact same plot when watching the trailers. However, I know why NMH isn't getting the movie: it's a video game. The best we can offer is Prince of Persia; they have V for F'ing Vendetta. Oh, and that Spiderman movie based on an episode of Angry Beavers. Clearly, movies aren't for us.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PS3RG
@KaosAngel said:
" Bros (and Women),  Now I haven't heard much about this movie called Scott Pilgrim...and I recently started to watch trailers of it.  I noticed that it shares a very similar story to No More Heroes:  Heroes' Paradise (the true version of NMH).  Hell, then I started to read the book...and noticed IT IS the same damn story.    The bro is killin' dudes for some ass.  Scott for the punk chick, Travis for the hot ass blonde.  Now I'm not gonna say who is copying who, as I have no proof of when both came into concepts but this here is disturbing.    Travis, a loser who is cool...Scott a cool guy who is a loser.  Both have the same kind of wit, both have amazing strengths, both fight amazing bosses, and both are doing it for the fine-fine ass.  Now, I'm not gonna say which girl is better, as you guys can decide for yourselves (it's the blonde in NHM), but I'm surprised as to why this gets a movie but NMH doesn't.  Literally Scott Pilgrim copied EVERYTHING from NMH, even the damn music is similar to the 8-bit tunes used in NMH and the random video game moments.  Now I will go watch this Scott Pilgrim on Friday and make up my mind then, but until then...I'm just gonna say it's a rip-off from NMH.    Anyone else feeling a similar vibe from Scotty here? "
sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By sixpin

The first Scott Pilgrim comic was published in 2004. No More Heroes was published in 2008. Four year gap and Pilgrim came out first.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

When did the Scott Pilgrim comic book start and when did the first No More Heroes come out?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
@sixpin said:
" The first Scott Pilgrim comic was published in 2004. No More Heroes was published in 2008. Four year gap and Pilgrim came out first. "
Damn, then I guess Suda 51 isn't as original as I thought he was...this is a problem.  NMH has a tighter story though. 
Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Ulong
@wasteguru: 

The first volume, Scott Pilgrim's precious little life, was released august 18th 2004.
The Japanese version of No More heroes was released december 6th 2007.

OP's got his outrage backwards, basically.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vorbis

The comic book is very popular and since Hollywood is in a "make every comic book into a movie" phase it was bound to get picked up. Not to mention how terrible game movies are, I'm actually glad NMH isn't getting a movie, because it would of been horrible and you'd never find anyone good enough to play Travis.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tallTuck94

scott pilgrim has a better story and is sooo much funnier and there are alot of thing different about the two for example the whole focus on bands and music in sp

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sixpin
@KaosAngel: I'm not saying Sude 51 copied Scott Pilgrim. I doubt they are related, but you never know for sure I guess. I enjoyed Pilgrim a lot more than NMH. I've read the books, seen the movie and I'll play the game as soon as it hits XBLA (I want achievements). I played a couple hours of NMH and put it down, never went back. Just my $0.02.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
@tallTuck94: @sixpin:  

When you compare the bosses, NMH has much tighter bosses.  You got the lolita chick who is bat-shit insane, the bitch with the big ass cannon, DESTROY MAN, and everyone else.  Plus the plot twist in NMH was amazing...Travis is trying to fuck his sister-in-law, how brilliant is that? 

I didn't like the bosses as much in Scott Pilgrim, it just didn't feel as mature.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan
@KaosAngel said:
"Now I'm not gonna say who is copying who, as I have no proof of when both came into concepts but this here is disturbing."
@KaosAngel said:
"Literally Scott Pilgrim copied EVERYTHING from NMH, even the damn music is similar to the 8-bit tunes used in NMH and the random video game moments. "
Aside from the fact that Scott Pilgrim first came out about four years before NMH, I just wanted to point out what the hell?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
@TheFreeMan: Let me refudiate my statement and say I did not know Scotty came out in 2004.  I take back what I said, but hot damn do these stories share a lot of similarities.
insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By insanegamer

scott pilgrim is just awesome.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheFreeMan
@KaosAngel said:
" @TheFreeMan: Let me refudiate my statement and say I did not know Scotty came out in 2004.  I take back what I said, but hot damn do these stories share a lot of similarities. "
I guess "guy does crazy shit for women" is a common idea for videogame minded folks.

But on the topic of "which is more mature".....they're both pretty juvenile. NMH has buckets of blood and gore and curse words and sexual innuendos all over the place and Scott Pilgrim has a billion random game references. I'm not even sure if there's a theme of any kind to NMH since it's appeal seems to be "wacky fun" at it's heart, whereas SP deals with the messages that you've got to understand your past mistakes if you want to become a better person/Scott's kinda a dick and he needs to learn how to change.
sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sixpin

Stating that anything isn't as mature as NMH makes me laugh. You save your progress in NMH by taking a dump. That's about as lowbrow as it gets.