Seattle bound (PAX)

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Edited By raddevon
We now interrupt your regularly scheduled Facebook gaming roundup...

I'm totally pumped to be going to this year's Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle. I've already participated in one thread on the boards about PAX in which KnifeySpoony is compiling a list of GB community attendees. Does anyone know if there will be a meetup? If there is, I would be really interested in attending as this is really the only online community I participate in at the moment. I know about the GB panel, but I haven't heard about a community meetup.

In the thread, I had originally posted a list of panels I wanted to attend.

Friday

Ron Gilbert Keynote
Breaking into the game industry
Live taping of CO-OP
Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell Conviction demo
How Gamers Give
Listen Up Live
Psychiatry, Video Games, and Kids - The Science, The Opinions, and the Lies 

Saturday

Star Wars: The Old Republic live demonstration
Totally Rad Show Podcast and Q&A
Sex in Videogames: A Comparative Study
Twitter and Beyond – New Game Communities Online
The Giant Bomb Re-Reunion Tour: Tour Legit Tour Quit

Sunday

WTF is the matter with game reviews?
The Future of Gaming: You Don't Know What You're Going to Get
Game Localization: A Behind-the-Scenes Look
It's a tough schedule and one that I have since decided to relax significantly. I have now pared it down to a few things I must make and some others I would like to catch. 

Must attend

• Co-op
  • Psychiatry, Video Games, and Kids
  • Totally Rad Show
  • Giant Bomb

Want to attend

• Ron Gilbert
  • Star Wars
  • Splinter Cell demo
  • Penny Arcade Q&A

I intend to leave the rest to serendipity. I'm just going to let the expo carry me where it will.

This is my first time west of the Mississippi River, my first flight, and my first convention/expo of note (and that is fairly significant since I am 26 years old). I want to get the most out of this because I may not be able to do it every year. Does anyone have any tips? I need to know about gaming expos in general, PAX specifically, traveling in general, and Seattle specifically. Also, if you're going to PAX, post your twitter in the comments. We can follow each other and, assuming cell service doesn't collapse under the weight of 75,000 geeks, keep up with what's going on at the show.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By raddevon
We now interrupt your regularly scheduled Facebook gaming roundup...

I'm totally pumped to be going to this year's Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle. I've already participated in one thread on the boards about PAX in which KnifeySpoony is compiling a list of GB community attendees. Does anyone know if there will be a meetup? If there is, I would be really interested in attending as this is really the only online community I participate in at the moment. I know about the GB panel, but I haven't heard about a community meetup.

In the thread, I had originally posted a list of panels I wanted to attend.

Friday

Ron Gilbert Keynote
Breaking into the game industry
Live taping of CO-OP
Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell Conviction demo
How Gamers Give
Listen Up Live
Psychiatry, Video Games, and Kids - The Science, The Opinions, and the Lies 

Saturday

Star Wars: The Old Republic live demonstration
Totally Rad Show Podcast and Q&A
Sex in Videogames: A Comparative Study
Twitter and Beyond – New Game Communities Online
The Giant Bomb Re-Reunion Tour: Tour Legit Tour Quit

Sunday

WTF is the matter with game reviews?
The Future of Gaming: You Don't Know What You're Going to Get
Game Localization: A Behind-the-Scenes Look
It's a tough schedule and one that I have since decided to relax significantly. I have now pared it down to a few things I must make and some others I would like to catch. 

Must attend

• Co-op
  • Psychiatry, Video Games, and Kids
  • Totally Rad Show
  • Giant Bomb

Want to attend

• Ron Gilbert
  • Star Wars
  • Splinter Cell demo
  • Penny Arcade Q&A

I intend to leave the rest to serendipity. I'm just going to let the expo carry me where it will.

This is my first time west of the Mississippi River, my first flight, and my first convention/expo of note (and that is fairly significant since I am 26 years old). I want to get the most out of this because I may not be able to do it every year. Does anyone have any tips? I need to know about gaming expos in general, PAX specifically, traveling in general, and Seattle specifically. Also, if you're going to PAX, post your twitter in the comments. We can follow each other and, assuming cell service doesn't collapse under the weight of 75,000 geeks, keep up with what's going on at the show.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

First of all, be sure to use the new light rail system, as it goes straight from the airport to a block or two from the convention center in about 40 minutes. More tips are here 

Edit: Well, not quite from the airport. they are still working on that section, but you can take a bus (from what i've heard, its easy to find) to the closest light rail stop, about a mile away. 

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By bretthancock

My tips and advise:

PAX specifically: I was in the same boat as you last year, I had never been to PAX or a con in general.  I would say you are on the right track because I found making a list of things I had to do, wanted to do, and shit I would do if I had time proved to be vital.

Seattle specifically:  I've lived in the area my whole life and worked downtown for 4 years now.   The downtown area where PAX is unfortunately isn't the greatest.  The resteraunts are almost all subways or higher class areas, there isn't much to do(not a problem for this weekend though) and travel can suck.  However Seattle is really small and can be walked across in about 20 minutes.  I would highly recommend going ot Pike Place market which you can get to by heading directly west of the convention center.  It's touristy but also one of the few must see spots in Seatle, good food to.  For other good food head directly east of the Convention Center and over the freeway to Capital Hill.  There's a ton of bars, great food, and it's really close to PAX.  If you have downtime before, during, or after PAX I'd recommend a few things while in the area:

Pike Place (1st and Pike/Pine) - as mentioned it's a must. 

Pioneer Square(south of downtown) - it's the "old" part of Seattle.  Mostly bars/clubs and gets crazy(the bad kind) at night but pretty cool none the less.

International District(east of Pioneer Square) - name speaks for itself, I don't go there much but a ton of cool shops and a import game shop called "Pink Godzilla" even though they have a booth at PAX

I don't know if there is a meet up planned but in the General forum there is an "Official PAX 09 Thread" somewhere. 

O and my twitter is   http://twitter.com/bretthancock

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AgentJ
@bretthancock said:
" My tips and advise:

PAX specifically: I was in the same boat as you last year, I had never been to PAX or a con in general.  I would say you are on the right track because I found making a list of things I had to do, wanted to do, and shit I would do if I had time proved to be vital.

Seattle specifically:  I've lived in the area my whole life and worked downtown for 4 years now.   The downtown area where PAX is unfortunately isn't the greatest.  The resteraunts are almost all subways or higher class areas, there isn't much to do(not a problem for this weekend though) and travel can suck.  However Seattle is really small and can be walked across in about 20 minutes.  I would highly recommend going ot Pike Place market which you can get to by heading directly west of the convention center.  It's touristy but also one of the few must see spots in Seatle, good food to.  For other good food head directly east of the Convention Center and over the freeway to Capital Hill.  There's a ton of bars, great food, and it's really close to PAX.  If you have downtime before, during, or after PAX I'd recommend a few things while in the area:

Pike Place (1st and Pike/Pine) - as mentioned it's a must. 

Pioneer Square(south of downtown) - it's the "old" part of Seattle.  Mostly bars/clubs and gets crazy(the bad kind) at night but pretty cool none the less.

International District(east of Pioneer Square) - name speaks for itself, I don't go there much but a ton of cool shops and a import game shop called "Pink Godzilla" even though they have a booth at PAX

I don't know if there is a meet up planned but in the General forum there is an "Official PAX 09 Thread" somewhere. 

O and my twitter is   http://twitter.com/bretthancock "
Pike Place is in walking distance, and both Pioneer Square and the International District are stops along the Light Rail line. If you have a lot of money to spend, go have dinner up in the Space Needle, which is a short Monorail ride away. 
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bretthancock

I didn't realize Pioneer Square and ID were on the Light Rail.  I have yet to ride that thing but I'm taking it from Tukwila for PAX, I live in Des Moines so it's a short car ride to the station.

To each their own but I hated the Space Needle food.  It was cool going around and the view is A+ but not even that could make me want to go there again.

@raddevon  where are you staying?

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By raddevon
@bretthancock: I'm at the Hotel Max. I'm pretty excited about that, too. It seems like it will be a cool place although it isn't as close as some others to the convention center. Do you know it? Any idea how far it is walking?
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bretthancock
@raddevon: Looks like you aren't far at all, probably 5-6 blocks if that.  Never stayed there but from their website it looks pretty sweet.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By raddevon
@bretthancock: I thought so. It wasn't any more expensive than the other places. Thanks to you and @AgentJ for the great suggestions so far!
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bretthancock

No problem, it's hard to think of stuff to do downtown when the shackles of work are lifted.

xShR3Dx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By xShR3Dx

Welcome to the NorthWest!

I hope to see you there im a ginger so its not to hard to spot me.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ

Maybe i should go in a black suit and pompoudur so everyone recognizes me. 

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Ragdrazi

If the Morgue was having a good show this weekend, I'd tell you to check them out. 

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Alright, so though no formal meet up was scheduled for the gb community, I'll be hanging out sometime before and a bit after the Giantbomb panel. Hopefully Tanuki will be chilling as well. It should be pretty easy to spot me as I am a short dude who is going to try to give Vinny a hug. Tanuki will hopefully have his video camera, so don't be afraid to say hi Knifey, or say my name (Peter).

Have a great PAX everyone! I'm leaving in a few minutes.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ

Maybe it'd be a good idea for people attending the GB panel to wear some sort of identification that shows who they are? Maybe a printout of their avatar and/or screen name. 

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bretthancock

hah my screen name is my name so I'm ahead of the curve on that one.  I'll be wearing a red shirt and probably the tallest guy there (I'm 6'4").  I'll also have a neon green Seahawks hat.  I'm pretty much oblivious to my surroundings at all times so if anyone tries to say Hi and I look at you with a befuddled expression that's why.