Sess Money, Long, and Scoville talk Gamer Anger

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

If mods want to close this sparm, fine. I understand. I think this is interesting though.

Its interesting that gamer anger has gotten bigger than ever, and its not gonna stop for the next oh: eight more years. Whether it be about games themselves, multiplayer tweaks, hardware decisions, or developer discussions, today or tomorrow is probably gonna suck for one reason or another. And that's just disappointing.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

My feeling is that this anger is caused by a lack of perspective. Lacking perspective is not something that can be changed easily, but with any hope it should come with age. Max Scoville has great hair. My appreciation of great hair is something that has come from the perspective of being a victim to male-pattern baldness. Sessler knows what I'm talking about.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Am i the only one who thinks Max Scoville is great ?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loading Video...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

The audio is bad, I cant hear anything. Not really your fault, just the editors/audio mixers fault.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@cale said:

My feeling is that this anger is caused by a lack of perspective. Lacking perspective is not something that can be changed easily, but with any hope it should come with age. Max Scoville has great hair.

Sure, all that. And he does have great hair. I bet he uses fantastic hair product, along with help from a good stylist for his shows.

@jimmyfenix said:

Max is fucking awesome, yea! From ye olde Podtoid, to his new Max Scoville's Study Hall, he's pretty great. He knows the strangest raccoon facts. Free iPad Miley Cryus Nudes.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I wonder how so many people in the gaming press can be so disconnected from their viewership.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an incredibly insightful discussion. Thank god that was recorded in a video format and made freely available on the internet. I hope that everyone involved is proud of the good work they've done here.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Disaya

@jimmyfenix said:

You know when I first starting watching Rev3 stuff I hated seeing him. I can't really explain why I didn't like him but I didn't. Then I just started liking him one day and now I really enjoy his mini show/discussions. So I think he is pretty great. Doesn't hurt that he's kinda cute either.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@jimmyfenix: His shirts are wonderful.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over that shirt." - Tara

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@ares42: The press is generally made up of well adjusted adults, while a large portion of their viewership is hormonal teenagers.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dallas_raines: well, that would mean most of them have been hormonal teenagers at one point and should have some understanding of why people do the things they do. Nevertheless that's not really what I was talking about.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@disaya said:

@jimmyfenix said:

You know when I first starting watching Rev3 stuff I hated seeing him. I can't really explain why I didn't like him but I didn't. Then I just started liking him one day and now I really enjoy his mini show/discussions. So I think he is pretty great.

He's alright, but man, I do not like him as an interviewer, asks the dumbest questions, check out the Injustice rev3 interview for instance.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@cale said:

My feeling is that this anger is caused by a lack of perspective. Lacking perspective is not something that can be changed easily, but with any hope it should come with age. Max Scoville has great hair. My appreciation of great hair is something that has come from the perspective of being a victim to male-pattern baldness. Sessler knows what I'm talking about.

I would hope that these people that buy these consoles would mature with age the older they got. The fact that they have their own money to buy something shows that they can handle real life some. It is a matter of perspective I would think.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I saw this last night. I think this is a very informative discussion that unfortunately, gamers are just going to complain and get upset over specific changes to games and the industry as a whole. Gamers really need to watch their anger and try to cope with it better.

Also, Max Scoville is pretty awesome! Though I might disagree with him saying that its really hard to stay happy though.

shrinerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only know of him cuz I listen to the Comedy Button podcast. But seeing this, I might actually start watching his work now.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it's "gamers" or just "the internet". Movies and music get people just as worked up as games do. For example, the iMDB boards are home to some of the most hateful people out there... say you like/dislike a movie for whatever reason, and the rage rains down in buckets. Death threats for saying you thought such and such actor did a better job than such and such actor. It's absolutely insane.

I don't know... I try not to dwell on it, because it's horribly depressing to consider just how many people act this way.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

The audio is bad, I cant hear anything. Not really your fault, just the editors/audio mixers fault.

I think it's your computer's fault. I can hear everything loud and clear.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: You're pretty much onto it, but the sad thing isn't really that people behave badly on the internet. The sad thing is all these other people that keep legitimizing it and bemoaning it. The fact that things like Twitter is being treated as something relevant and important, people spending a lot of their days gobbling up any piece of "news" they can find, media focusing more and more on personalities and user feedback rather than stories. It's just tabloid shit gone to extremes. They talk about how not a week goes by without something "disgusting" happening, but guess what it's only that way because there's people out there digging for it and even more people gobbling that shit up. It's always been there, the difference is just that society has chosen to revel in it instead of ignoring it.

All in all, it's just people not understanding the world they live in.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

As for the subject of anger in videogames i think a lot of the anger comes from a distrust in computers. You can except loss is physical games better but with video games there's a nagging feeling of unbalanced design, glitching, exploits, and that kind of thing.

The less aware of game design or code you are, the more frustrating those things will feel.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

I like how they use music from Saints Row.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The problem seems to be that while some people in the gaming press want to have an insightful conversation on a mature level, their viewership are mostly made up of Immature teenagers/people. While there are plenty of well rounded mature individuals on the internet, the ones who yell the loudest and troll the hardest are the latter. On the Internet, for some reason, cynicism is perceived as wisdom or some type of insight.

It genuinely makes me sad that our beloved hobby is attributed to immature and all around abhorrent behavior in society at large. The truth is there are people out there that just want to have fun, as well as have conversations and level headed debates about the nature and future of gaming as a medium. Unfortunately the lowest common denominator always rises to the surface for everyone to see. A million people can get along just fine, but it only takes one person to fuck things up.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@ares42 said:

Sometimes I wonder how so many people in the gaming press can be so disconnected from their viewership.

I agree. There's a weird ivory tower attitude going on which, frankly, benefits no one.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

@themanwithnoplan said:

The problem seems to be that while the gaming press want to have an insightful conversation on a mature level, their viewership are mostly made up of Immature teenagers/people. While there are plenty of well rounded mature individuals on the internet, the ones who yell the loudest and troll the hardest are the latter. On the Internet, for some reason, cynicism is perceived as wisdom or some type of insight.

It genuinely makes me sad that our beloved hobby is attributed to immature and all around abhorrent behavior in society at large. The truth is there are people out there that just want to have fun as well as have conversations and level headed debates about the nature and future of gaming as a medium. Unfortunately the lowest common denominator always rise to the surface for everyone to see. A million people can get along just fine, but it only takes one person to fuck things up.

(Haven't watched the video.)

I think you're going a bit easy on the gaming press. For example, do you not think that easy, knee-jerk, assuming-the-worst cynicism is just as rampant with games journalists? Do you follow the same myopic, hyperbolic, potshot-taking press that I do? Have you noticed the way so much of them stampede between flavour-of-the-day manufactured controversies, often getting the story completely wrong in the process? Does the often-cozy relationship between the reporters and the people they're reporting on not worry you? I can think of almost nobody I genuinely respect as a journalist (in the real sense of the word) in the games press -- in part because I consider it more of an enthusiast press (think tech blogs) and less of a "real" press.

As much as the readers and viewers of games criticism and journalism can be immature, tactless, trolling jerks, I'd say both parties are to some degree at fault here. The games press is of course operating at a higher level in aggregate, but that's to be expected in any kind of asymmetrical producer-consumer relationship. If the games press has truly been trying to elevate the conversation, the bar must be set so low that I didn't notice it. When outlets like Kotaku are in positions of influence, I'm inclined to say the games press reaps what it sows.

I'm not saying I'd do any better -- it's much easier to be a Monday-morning quarterback.

I was really speaking in response to the thoughts expressed in the video from Max, Tara and Adam. You're right, games press/analysts can be just as bad as it's viewership sometimes, but there has been a very pronounced paranoia/cynicism from their audience in the past. The immaturity can definitely exude from both sides though.