Should I buy a new console or upgrade my pc graphics card?

dollster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dollster85

I still haven´t bought any of the current gen console´s and with my graphic´s card frying i have a choice. I can use my old graphics card witch will not be able to play very graphical intense games but i can play games like smite on low witch is the game i keep playing between all my single player games and buy a ps4 for the big games like MKx with the added bonus on playing exlusive games like bloodborne and such.

Second option is to buy a new graphics card and keep playing the games on my gaming pc. Im having a very hard time to decide what to do just wanted to hear you´re guys opinion on it

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Go for PS4 for Bloodborne and Persona 5. I think you will be the most satisfied out of the three.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@applegong:

Does "Current Gen" refer to PS4 and Xbox1 now?

Also scratch Persona 5 from that, it's on PS3 as well so it's not much of a reason to upgrade.

I heard rumours that maybe in time Final Fantasy Dissidia Arcade Edition will make it's way onto a PS4 at some point which would probably sell it for me.

That and I suppose if MGS5 and the aforementioned Persona 5 turn out to play like crap on a PS3 (like DA:Inquisition did) then maybe I'll consider it though I hardly approve of it.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pkmnfrk
@pierre42 said:

@applegong:

Does "Current Gen" refer to PS4 and Xbox1 now?

Yes. The PS4 and XBox One have been out for almost a year and a half.

I still haven´t bought any of the current gen console´s and with my graphic´s card frying i have a choice. I can use my old graphics card witch will not be able to play very graphical intense games but i can play games like smite on low witch is the game i keep playing between all my single player games and buy a ps4 for the big games like MKx with the added bonus on playing exlusive games like bloodborne and such.

Second option is to buy a new graphics card and keep playing the games on my gaming pc. Im having a very hard time to decide what to do just wanted to hear you´re guys opinion on it

If you're into the PS4 exclusives, then by all means take the plunge. I've been playing Axiom Verge, and it's fantastic. Haven't played Bloodborne, but there's plenty of opinions out there already. Eventually there will be Street Fighter and Persona, so that's alright.

Of course, that said, the PC will be getting most of these games too anyway. It's a tough choice, to be sure.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Junkboy

PC will airways remain the best platform for gaming as a whole but costs and console exclusives can make the decision not an instant one. If you haven't bought one by now I don't see a single game being good enough to change that this year that also isn't coming to pc.

Go with the gpu since the pc it will have better versions of fallout, batman, witcher, and mgs5. Also many of the indie games that usually come out on one console but not the other usually still appear on the pc. Axiom verge , shovel knight and Ori all might've stuck to one console platform early but they were on the pc still on pc or will be shortly after in Verge's case.

If you cared enough about the current big games on the consoles you would have one by now. By Holiday or even early next year we should see some price drops or great bundles too.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Go with the new graphics card.

The PS4 will only get cheaper, and with their online store any exclusives you miss out on you'll be able to easily find years later when you do get one.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8 sweep  Moderator

I re-titled your thread because it was too vague. Please try to be more specific so that people browsing the forum feed can find what they are looking for.

Meorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It really comes down to exclusives/timing I think. There are certain games that you can't get on PC (Bloodborne, Persona, etc). There's also a disappointing trend of games lagging on the PC (GTA5 for an extreme example, MGS5 for a shorter example).

That said, if you're used to beefy PC gaming performance you'll probably be pretty disappointed in the new consoles for games that are on console and PC. Don't get me wrong - games that come out on the consoles are perfectly workable in most cases, but if graphics quality and performance are important to you then this generation of consoles will be a let down. It seems that 30fps is going to be the norm, and developers also seem to be perfectly happy to go sub 1080p to get flashier graphics in there. I'm enjoying the hell out of Bloodborne, but every time I play I keep thinking about how awesome it'd be if it was 60fps.

Since I'm lucky enough to have both a PC and a PS4 at my disposal, here's my rule of thumb: If the game is an exclusive or is something where the experience will be nearly identical (ie, a lot of indie-type games), I go PS4 since I like the Trophy system, cross buy and remote play, etc. If there's *any* chance that the PC version will be "better" (modding, performance, visuals), I go PC. The only hard decision I'm facing is MGS5 - it'll be significantly nicer on PC, but it's going to lag by a couple of weeks and I don't want to be spoiled on any Kojima magic.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just caved in and bought a PS4 a few weeks ago for Bloodborne. It's honestly not worth it.

I like Bloodborne and I like things about the PS4, but there's nothing exclusive to the console that is making this $400 purchase worth it. I still find myself playing my PC 100x more.

Save your money.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Upgrade! I was facing this dilemma earlier in the year and upgraded my graphics card. It was the best choice.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upgrade. A relevent PC, always first priority.

Consoles will slowly drop in price, pick them up when they're cheaper for the few exclusives.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 is coming out on ps3 and pc games are pretty. Pc will get you more games in the long run and cheaper

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC is the better option looking at games per platform and price per game. Upgrade graphics card

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd say to upgrade your graphics card. Bloodbourne is the first exclusive to come out on the PS4 that's even worth taking a look at and even then it's not to everyone's tastes. The Xbox One on the other hand is fairing better with its exclusives but still for 18 months into a new console cycle, it's not great. For as much as we hype console exclusives, no one ever hypes up PC exclusives when there's plenty to be excited for that are already out or coming out.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought pretty much all the current consoles except PS4 (which I'm stupidly going to buy soon because I'm easily sold, damn you Godzilla) and built a PC last year and I can honestly say the PC was easily the best investment I made in years. Not to say the Xbox One and PS4 aren't good systems or anything but right now there's not a whole lot to play on them. I'd wait until next year to buy one if I was you.

So yeah, if the rest of your PC is up to snuff just throw a nice new graphics card in there.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VoshiNova

If you decide on getting a new card, I recommend the GTX 960 (if you have an Intel chipset.)

Buuuuut I won't deny that the PS4 is pretty enticing - I just feel like consoles tend to be a bigger investment in the long run.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'll put in a vote for console. Half the reason I don't bother with PC gaming is the very upkeep you're dealing with. You'll need a new graphics card now, then after that you'll need more RAM, then after that your processor won't be good enough, etc., etc. and then you'll have spent enough over this console life cycle to where you could have bought multiple consoles and a crapton of games. Also, many PC games are being delayed significantly beyond the console releases these days, and poor optimization seems to be more of an issue now as well. And as much as people love Steam sales, the consoles are offering great sales on games these days. I love my Xbox One and have a solid library of games on it, several of which I've gotten at major discounts, and I already have a backlog. Even if they stopped making games for consoles tomorrow, I'd still consider the Xbox One a great purchase that has been more than worth what it cost, and I paid full price for the Kinect version at launch. I'm in gravy mode already and we're still early into this gen, but that's me.

You're you, so make the decision that suits you best. If you're one who obsesses about framerates or squints at blades of grass on Digital Foundry comparisons, upgrade your PC, keep upgrading your PC, and enjoy the "best" versions of games if/when they come out on PC. If not, get a console for less hassle and less expense long-term. The current-gen consoles have proven mechanically solid thus far, and run games just fine. All of them have some damn pretty games as well, and each console now has at least one exclusive that's well-worth playing, with surely more to come. It's a matter of personal preference, though. Figure out what your gaming priorities are and go from there.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless there are console exclusives you are very interested in playing, I would upgrade your PC.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By fattony12000

Picking up a GTX 980 Ti this year (question mark) would set you up for well over half a decade of high quality personal computer video gaming (4K resolution, 144fps, virtual reality etc etc). Which would be nice. It'll cost you more than a current generation console right now, especially as the XONE just got a price drop here in the UK!

As always, it depends on what you wanna do with your PC and what you wanna do with your home console!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By monetarydread

I think that right now it would be best to wait for E3 to happen before you make a decision. Right now there is not many exclusive console games that would be reason enough for me to spend $500+ (console, games, a second controller, etc) on a new console.

As it stands PS4 might be effectively dead come next year, or maybe Microsoft pulls out all the stops and gets some exclusives. Who really knows what is going to happen, but we will find out in less than two months from now. Also, by that time there might be a new video card that shakes up the PC market.

My real recommendation though, is to just upgrade your PC. I was playing PC games I purchased 8 years ago this weekend and it was glorious. My library of PC games are all functional with my new computer, can you think of any 360 games that work on an xbox one? No? thats because the system isn't backwards compatible, so you have to keep your old systems still hooked up if you want to play your older games. I like not having to buy my old games over again.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If I was you I would honestly wait and see. Personally I would sit on it for a solid year but at least 6 months. See how the consoles develop and where they go with exclusives. I think it's still a little early to tell. We're also in a weird area as far as graphics cards go. Sit on it a little while and you'll save money and be able to make a better decision.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#23  Edited By Kidavenger

PC would be my priority; I really like my new consoles but PC is where I want to play most of my games if I can.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to get both consoles, and then I bought 2 video cards. So far I've got ALOT more out of the consoles. I haven't played a single PC game in the few months I've had the cards.