Show of Support for Giant Bomb

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By htr10

I'd like to give all the thanks in the world to Vinny, Brad, and Alex for what they have given us over the last decade plus.

I'd also like to give all the support in the world to Jeff, Jan, Jason, Rorie, and Bakalar for keeping Giant Bomb going forward.

Today, I went through and bought all the Giant Bomb t-shirts in the store that were available in my size. This included re-buying a bunch of shirts that I have had for years and could use a refresh.

• Do I think this will accomplish anything? No probably not!
  • Do I know if any of this money actually goes to support the Giant Bomb guys? I have no idea!
  • Was I actually going to do this anyway because I wanted to make sure I had new versions of all the shirts? You'll never know!
  • Do I love this website and am I onboard for whatever comes next? Yes, yes I am.

I'm not saying anyone else should do what I did, but hey, these are some pretty great shirts.

VerticalMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just found this place for the forum specifically, in an effort to find a smaller, less trashy place for game discussion (ie not Reddit). I have been just starting to get into the podcasts and "website side" of things and have enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not sure what specifically is changing or might change with the recent news (a bit too new to understand it at first glance beyond some major departures), but I was already planning to throw in what support I could, so now seems like a great time.

Hoping that the forum won't change much and become another toxic outrage farm like Reddit and so many others.

JamesB85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope in a few weeks or months to know a bit more about what is happening with the site. They are obviously going through a lot behind the scenes.

I assume all the staff are salaried and right know I really don’t want to line Red Ventures pockets before knowing GB is getting the support and freedom from them to continue to be the great site it’s been over the years.

But you are definitely right that they are some great shirts! :)

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@verticalmonkey: Welcome! Vinny, Brad, and Alex have been longtime editors/contributors on this site, and the site itself is incredibly personality-driven (hope you're not here to see expert gameplay), so a massive chunk of the site's main draw is getting shaken up.

All three have been here for over a decade, and Jeff Gerstmann is now the longest serving editor (and co-founder).

So you've shown up in a time of upheaval, but the good news is: there's over a decade of incredible, quality video content to watch!

hock_a_luigi44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Came for the Gerstmann-Ron Jeremy stories, joined the disgust at Funko Pops, became enamored with fringe-corporate behaviour, befriended a bunch of people who play way too many games. 11/10 Awesome site, would subscribe again.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just found this place for the forum specifically, in an effort to find a smaller, less trashy place for game discussion (ie not Reddit). I have been just starting to get into the podcasts and "website side" of things and have enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not sure what specifically is changing or might change with the recent news (a bit too new to understand it at first glance beyond some major departures), but I was already planning to throw in what support I could, so now seems like a great time.

Hoping that the forum won't change much and become another toxic outrage farm like Reddit and so many others.

I envy you. This might be the freshest take I've ever seen on here. The forums on Giant Bomb have always been an afterthought to me. The idea that there are fans of Giant Bomb that aren't tied to the old guard is...kind of comforting, actually. There might be a future for this site, after all. I haven't really expressed my feelings about what's going on. I'm equal parts hurt and angry. I'm sure there are plenty of fans like me who have been following these guys since the 90's and feel that this is the end. Maybe it's not. I know I didn't really explain what's significant about this change. I'm sure you get it, though. If you're here to avoid reddit-style negativity, I'd better just keep my mouth shut. Welcome to the site. We care about video games here.

VerticalMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VerticalMonkey

@besetment: Hey I didn't say it was perfect but it easily clears the painfully low bar found on Reddit and other social media and larger communities. So far so good! Also thanks for the info to everyone above who chimed in! I was/am basically looking to get back to the rest of the internet apart from the dumpster of social media, this forum is way more reminiscent of the pre-mainstream internet, when there wasn't social media and instead specific places to go have specific discussions about specific topics with specific people who (mostly) actually want to be there and contribute.

Sure you get shit people everywhere but social media (reddit, twitter, fb) have basically become a place to corral the braindead idiots and keep them feeling bad and away from the rest of the internet. Nothing left for me there :)

I do fully remember the Kane and Lynch thing from way back, I actually worked at a gamestop at the time, and have always peripherally known about Giant Bomb just never browsed more than casually until now!

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I have followed these guys since the Gamespot days. I don’t have the words to express how much I have valued their contributions to the site. I remember being crushed when everyone left Gamespot, and out of that grew Giant Bomb. The podcast has been an constant in my life through many hard times, and I have valued Brad, Vinny, and Alex’s opinions and insights so much. I will follow Jeff and crew wherever he produces content and wish everyone the best. I’m currently at a point of decision in my career that could have heavy ramifications, so this has hit home very hard. I took a risk that didn’t pan out like I’d hoped, and now I’m mulling a big change. Thanks for all the hard work from all Giant Bomb crew, past and present, and good luck to those leaving and those staying. You’re all truly great.

CracklyKlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came at a pivot point as well. Austin had been gone about a year, Drew was just about to and Abby showed up 5 or 6 months into my first sub. Every crew member that comes through the door has shined (and even those I had to go back and watch). I caught the end of Abby’s stream the night of the news and found it oddly comforting in a circle-closed sort of way to see her beating the last boss in Dark Souls since Vinny was the first person I ever watched play any of those games. These 3 will be missed by individual members of the community for various reasons and to varying degrees, but everyone that’s left has merited a viking funeral (of sorts) and the community as a whole will heal and move on. I’ll definitely be throwing in for one of those hideous neon colored Beastcast shirts.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the Bombcast Jeff honestly seems excited to move forward with where Giant Bomb will be going even if it will be a challenge. I am repeating myself here, but if Jeff is excited to what is to come I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I recently came into a massive change in my life, while it will be one of the most challenging things I have ever done, I am excited for the change and up for the challenge as the end result will absolutely outweigh the negatives. Why Am I rambling about all this, well I feel like a very similar thing is happening to GB and supper excited to see where things go.

As for my history with Giant Bomb I've only been here for a few years. Maybe about 4-5 years I think. It was around when they were doing Mario Party Party is where I became a premium member and never looked back. I've been rather passive listener to the shows and comment from time to time on the boards but I just don't have the time and honestly don't have a whole lot to say. I probably listen to their podcast and watch their videos more than I actually play any video games, but even then, it's only when I have time. Don't get me wrong, I will miss everyone that will be leaving, but it's like any relationship. They are moving on to greener pastures and grow as people. Being at one company for so long just is going to take its toll on you so I don't blame them for wanting to just move on if they have no interest on what that future of GB is going to be. I get it, this last year especially recently have done of soul searching in what I want in life then the same BS I been doing for years.

I'm not sure if I even made my point at all, but I wish everyone leaving nothing but the best of luck and I'll be here at least til my subscription ends some time in 2022. I'm sure by then all the kinks will have been worked out by then. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.