Since the move from Whiskey Media, what do you guys think of GB?

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Arabes

They really seems to be a lot less content recently. I know it's pretty quiet around this time of year but other gaming sites still produce a lot of content. Granted articles and videos are different critters but there really is very little coming on the site. You could log on once a week to see what's happening. And their news section, aside from all tha Icebreaker shit at activision, is also pretty weak. They need something, I used to log on every day like I do to RPS and there was usually something to see but not any more. It's a shame, used be my favourite site.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By SomeJerk

They're dealing with bureaucracy now. They had only the most basic equipment to do things with, and then it was shipped off to E3 real early, cock-and-ball blocking them until maybe a week after that wraps up at best. It's a terrible situation, and you cannot imagine what they have to go through to change toilet paper, much less make room for a green screen area in their dedicated new locale. I have no problem sparing change for folks doing things I like, but they haven't been able to do anything outside the bare minimum this year, and we can all acknowledge that it sucks.

But maybe this E3 will have awesome content and podcasts and streams to make it worth it?!

:/

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Bob_Loblaw

I still love the site and all of the posts explaining the mitigating factors in why content has been sparse are totally valid. The only criticism I have is just nothing going up on the site for days at a time. A dumb two minute phone video would be all it takes to satisfy me or a quick check in from the staff explaining what's happening are really all I need. Stuff to fill time between big releases can often be awesome like when they do quick look throwbacks, load our last save, random pc or flight club but I don't know if it's really difficult for them to do that stuff on the fly at the moment. I would say Jeff seems aware of the problems hinting at it in his jar time vids and I have a lot of faith the guys to come good.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#54  Edited By big_jon

@Gizmo said:

Eh, content has been kinda poor. It's probably got something to do with the lack of releases in 2012. I haven't really enjoyed any GB content since the SNES Party.

Also, too much Patrick.

Fixed.

Tom_Shaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Tom_Shaw

I've been pretty bummed so far.

GB still doesn't have the space (for their own green screen), personnel (interns and junior staff), or equipment (cameras, tricasters, PCs, debug units, etc.) to even approach what they used to be able to do.

In any case, the Litmus test will be the next two weeks, to see how they handle E3. That the Coming Up section only indicates a Day 1 livecast doesn't fill me with hope. (Yes, I know the Sony conference runs long, but if you really aren't going to talk about things on Day 0 - if you're waiting until the end of Day 1, when for all intents and purposes the show is over - everyone else will have covered that material to death elsewhere.)

And no, I am not a subscriber. I want to be, and have explicitly avoided the 'deals' - I was to be a walking advertisement for GB in your apparel! - but man, you guys are making it hard.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Master_Funk

The lack of subscriber content right now is putting me off. They should be just as on top of that as they are with regular content since we've payed for it.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By MEATBALL

The site has been worse off since the move, but the crew is still awesome and the content is still entertaining. Trying to be patient while they work through this whole transitional phase, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bit of a bummer. It seems crazy that they don't even have a tri-caster at the moment, I hope that's being worked on because it would be pretty shitty of CBS to buy Giant Bomb and then not provide them the things they need to continue producing the same caliber of content. I'm guessing they no longer have the equipment necessary to capture from older systems as well.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By Gizmo

@big_jon said:

@Gizmo said:

Eh, content has been kinda poor. It's probably got something to do with the lack of releases in 2012. I haven't really enjoyed any GB content since the SNES Party.

Also, too much Patrick.

Fixed.

Patrick actually sounds like he gives a damn, whereas Brad mumbles and moans through anything he is in.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By big_jon

@Gizmo said:

@big_jon said:

@Gizmo said:

Also, too much Patrick.

Fixed.

Patrick actually sounds like he gives a damn, whereas Brad mumbles and moans through anything he is in.

Yeah, but he talks over people so much, and I just hate how strongly he pushes his opinion as fact.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Lunar_Aura

[tinfoil] Maybe CBS is trying to kill off GiantBomb by not supplying them with the necessary equipment for the sake of dissolving the GB staff into GameSpot [/tinfoil]

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SargeGulp

@supamon said:

@SargeGulp said:

At least it's not Tested.

At least until the coming site redesign.

The site design on Tested is semi-lifeless, but GB is still about gaming. Jeff isn't go to show up some day and change the entire direction of GB in lieu of his other interests. GB is a gaming site, cause the GB crew knows games. Even though an instructional exercise video by Vinny would be interesting.

Albeit Tested was quaint, but ironically it feels less professional now. They know Tech, which is now a side-note. Instead they sound like a couple of guys who heard about cold fusion, thought it sounded really fucking cool and then read a wikipedia article on it.

As an aside though, I still appreciate Will/Norm and will give Tested a considerable amount of time to see how it all unfolds. I am invested because the personalities are great and the content has been there, both on GB and Tested.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Petiew

I'm unsure whether the quality of the content has significantly dropped or I've just watched so much content that it's no longer as interesting as it used to be.
Either way there's really been a lack of content and I've started to watch less and less over the last few months.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By nickux

Everything has been great except for one thing-- the TNT set. The current set-up for live shows (except for the awesome podcast studio stuff) is not as good as the old WM set. I miss the couch, the hand-holding, the Tricaster, Cool Baby, etc. I don't like the all green screen set and while Vinny's hi-jinks are still great, we need to get the man a Tricaster so he can unleash the crazy. Other than that, the Quick-Looks, Bombcast, and other podcasts have all been great.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Robot_Moses

@rebgav:

I guess what I mean to say is that when GB was a basement startup the roughness around the edges didn't matter as much because they were small and broke. Now that they're "legit" a lot seems needlessly ghetto. It kinda comes off as lazy. Don't get me wrong, I love it when they do weird, off the wall stuff that may require a less than stellar recording setup, but when it comes to the standard weekly content, it's a little ridiculous, especially considering how little they sometimes make in a week. Two months is a long time.

popeshabooda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By popeshabooda

You know what I miss? The couch. I really loved watching the interaction between the group in that 'living room' set... it made me feel like I had an awesome group of friends I could secretly hang out with when I was supposed to be working.

These days I have one or two friends I see occasionally through cell phone cameras. Now they're not hanging out anymore... they're in cubicles, being grumpy.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By freakin9

It's mainly odd due to the "We can do so much more!" promises, in the end all I want is for them to be funny, but I'm kinda expecting to be let down by their e3 production qualities.

I'm not even surprised, it's just sometimes people shouldn't build you up.

One thing I've always thought was that the bombcast was the best thing they do. It's like the somewhat awful personalities that certain people have mesh into one great dynamic when they all talk to each other, minus Dave usually unfortunately. I really wish they'd get into the habit of having the whole gang do things.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SmilingPig

I think that CBS is hoping that slowly killing GB will bring people back to gamespot.

I hope that I am just paranoid.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By M_Shini

I still enjoy it just the same, i just still think its lame how the site (most the time anyway) has little to zero content over weekends and during busy times near up to stuff like e3 since they have limit people to do all that.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By murisan

@PopeShabooda said:

You know what I miss? The couch. I really loved watching the interaction between the group in that 'living room' set... it made me feel like I had an awesome group of friends I could secretly hang out with when I was supposed to be working.

These days I have one or two friends I see occasionally through cell phone cameras. Now they're not hanging out anymore... they're in cubicles, being grumpy.

Nail on the head.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

My opinion remains. It's fucking awesome.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@SmilingPig: Glad to know I'm not the only one.

To further fuel our worries, none of the CBS Interactive websites hint at GB even existing. Not even that "Visit other CBS Interactive Sites" list Giant Bomb...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#72  Edited By musubi

HTML5 videoplayer is reason enough for me to subscribe.

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By aajf

@Tom_Shaw: The "Coming Up" section has been showing the Day 1 livecast for weeks now. I think it was intended as a gag on how little was happening in the lead up to E3/how E3 can seem to loom over the whole year. Wouldn't read too much into it as far as actual E3 GB content is concerned.

It certainly feels like the team are treading water at the moment, but that's probably just as much a consequence of the time of year as the move. I'm excited for the changes coming up and expect the site will improve in a number of ways, especially after hearing Dave and Alexis talking about the redesign the other day.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#74  Edited By Hector

I really miss the old Whiskey Media set for live shows. Don't like the green screen set up at all.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Quarters

When they release stuff, it's great, but quantity has definitely been way down for a while. Can't tell if that's because of the move though or the slow part of the year. Probably a combo. Still probably the best gaming site on the Internet, but I do hope they get back to a normal schedule soon. And more cameras/equipment would be ace.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By forkboy

@Gizmo said:

@big_jon said:

@Gizmo said:

Also, too much Patrick.

Fixed.

Yeah man, you're on to something, I mean Brad sounds totally disinterested in every Diablo 3 video he's been in!!!!!!!! Nah mate. Just...no.

@SmilingPig said:

I think that CBS is hoping that slowly killing GB will bring people back to gamespot.

I hope that I am just paranoid.

Paranoid is putting it mildly. If CBS bought Giantbomb just to kill off Giantbomb they wouldn't wast their money keeping the site up & paying for the team to do a redesign of the site.

@M_Shini said:

I still enjoy it just the same, i just still think its lame how the site (most the time anyway) has little to zero content over weekends and during busy times near up to stuff like e3 since they have limit people to do all that.

They could really do with getting an intern or two.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By excast

It is still excellent, though the quality isn't quite as great as it was some months ago.  I imagine a lot of that still has to do with not having the same level of equipment, but it has been almost 2 1/2 months now.  I think the main thing that I miss is the longer / more interesting TNTs. 

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#78  Edited By ThePickle

I'm not liking all of the appearances from Alexis and the Gamespot editors.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By freakin9

To further fuel our worries, none of the CBS Interactive websites hint at GB even existing. Not even that "Visit other CBS Interactive Sites" list Giant Bomb...

I always got the impression Giantbomb was never THAT big. I don't think Whiskey Media was making much money. I know we'd like to think it was a "huge get" for CBS, but I think it was a pretty minor get for them.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By excast
@Lunar_Aura said:

Actually, I was on Gamefaqs last night and they do link right to Giantbomb.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@Excast: Word up! Crisis averted then

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#82  Edited By ajamafalous

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. It's been what, over two months? I don't understand how they "don't have gear" yet. I also don't think personal things have anything to do with a day job you still go to every day. Like a few other people said, they always say they're so busy, but I can't look at anything they've put up on the site and say "Okay, that's where the time went." A little transparency would go a long way, and for the first week or two, they were putting out cell phone videos every day of just them in the office, but even that's fallen off now. I honestly don't understand it.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Aetheldod

I miss the synergy that was Whiskey Media .... you had a lot of content year round and if for some reason the GB crew couldnt do anything , they could use Will / Norm and still make awesome content :/ I agree with folks Im not seeing the benefits of this move to CBS , also I miss heavily random PC game/ load last save , it was so cool and to be on the chat chearing Vinny / Dave / Drew always made my day. I may be on the minority here . but I never cared for their E3 stuff , in this times are the few times that I rather go to the conventional sites ( ei Gamespot) , it is a time to be "serious" on the videogame info. Also I loved the behind the scenes stuff , thay did a lot after the move but now nothing , and gosh darn it were is my content featuring Kevin Vanord as a guest? I mean the podcast they did with Geoff was very awesome ... we need more of those and not to be a prick but less Patrick on Quick Looks would be nice , he is cool and all but he is getting more time than fan fav Vinny/Dave .... I know they are busy but darn it I miss my old Giant Bomb :(

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By LegalBagel

@SargeGulp said:

@SargeGulp said:

The site design on Tested is semi-lifeless, but GB is still about gaming. Jeff isn't go to show up some day and change the entire direction of GB in lieu of his other interests. GB is a gaming site, cause the GB crew knows games. Even though an instructional exercise video by Vinny would be interesting.

Albeit Tested was quaint, but ironically it feels less professional now. They know Tech, which is now a side-note. Instead they sound like a couple of guys who heard about cold fusion, thought it sounded really fucking cool and then read a wikipedia article on it.

As an aside though, I still appreciate Will/Norm and will give Tested a considerable amount of time to see how it all unfolds. I am invested because the personalities are great and the content has been there, both on GB and Tested.

I feel the complete opposite about the direction Tested took and the content they've put up since the split. You can only do so many quick looks of new phone types and pure tech news gets pretty mind-numbing at times - even before the split I thought they were limited in what they could cover. They're still finding their footing (and still lack an actual office), but the nuclear reactor video, Maker Faire stuff, and the recent podcast and videos tour with Adam were great. Plus they crank out content enough to keep me coming back. The site redesign was rushed, but I find much more of a reason to check Tested on a daily basis now. Whereas Giant Bomb I just check twitter or look every now and then to see if a new video is up (occasionally) or a new actual news story is up (rarely).

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#85  Edited By Davvyk

Its generally been really poor since the move but im sure thats because the guys are still not set up fully with equipment and interns etc. The interns freed up the main team to do cool vids such as Vinnys arcade cabinet repairs.

I dont like the virtual stage for TNT and the quantity of content has taken a dip. I also much preferred the constant tested/giantbomb crossovers but it's far to early to moan with any veracity.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By big_jon

This thread took off like crazy.

ViktorWithAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ViktorWithAK

I'm sure content will get better when they get more equipment. But I still really don't like how they (and the other sites) left things with WM, it all just happened way too unexpectedly and quickly. And since these other gaming sites are in the same office as them, I would like more guest spots in Quick Looks and podcasts. If they want us to warm up to Gamespot, why not introduce us to them.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BPRJCTX

@big_jon said:

I have been a bit worried, the site seems to have less assets, and be making less quality content. In the days of Whiskey Media I was all for subscribing, but now, I am not really sure it is worth the cash... I really want to subscribe again, I just need a compelling reason to.

What do you guys think of the resent months of our loved Giantbomb.com?

Regardless of the quality of the site now, versus back then.

They're with CBS now.

You might as well trow your money out the window.

Back then, if was around here, I'd probably subscribe just to support the guys, but now...

They don't need your money anymore.

Evryything you give to this site, is going directly into CBS's large ass pockets.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Azteck

It's still a great site and I love the content but the new video player is total fucking shit. I'll use YouTube any day over it.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By murisan

@big_jon: well, I think a lot of people are getting a bit curious about what's going on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Seems to be exactly the same as before, I do miss the occasional input from the Tested and Screened guys though.

Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Spectrea

I just hope CBS isnt screwing them over somehow, pre CBS, even at e3 time we had mostly constant content it seems kinda strange why that would change - even with a new office - its been nearly 2 months. Only thing i still enjoy now is bombcast (and that awesome rise of flight video:P), and even that i miss the old days, testing out shitty drinks etc. It almost seems like with every office change, with every new owner, the site gets worse which is surprising considering CBS financial muscle.

Giantbomb has never been pureley about the games anyway, atleast in my opinion, so why would a lack of them matter?

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By PaulRevere

@ajamafalous said:

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. It's been what, over two months? I don't understand how they "don't have gear" yet. I also don't think personal things have anything to do with a day job you still go to every day. Like a few other people said, they always say they're so busy, but I can't look at anything they've put up on the site and say "Okay, that's where the time went." A little transparency would go a long way, and for the first week or two, they were putting out cell phone videos every day of just them in the office, but even that's fallen off now. I honestly don't understand it.

This.

Although I must say, I have been giving them a pass solely on the notion that the E3 coverage this year is going to be even more amazing than it already always is. I mean, to have this huge change and then have to get ready for E3, it's probably not easy.

That being said, it's kinda frustrating to subscribe when there's very little new content. Well, I guess I should say, it's not the lack of content as much as the lack of transparency (basically, the entire quote above).

popeshabooda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By popeshabooda

Having watched the new ILM, my faith has been renewed. Let's hope the plans they have for after E3 come to fruition.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By PhilipDuck

Yeah i've came to point where i've cancelled my subscription to GB because the content has just became stagnant and the argument of 'They just moved' is becoming old, it's been long enough to have some of the subscriber content back up and running... Everything publish on the site has decreased in quality since the move and it's a great shame as they were my favourite site by far. But hey after reading through all these comments of a sick community 'maybe' Jeff or Ryan will relies they are slowly going to lose this great community they created if they don't sort this site out.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

Can anyone tell me why they don't do the I Love Mondays videos the same way anymore?

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By excast

It sounds like the guys got a lot of new gear in right before the truck headed to E3 left.  Maybe we will see more of that craziness we all know and love.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By supamon

@SargeGulp said:

@supamon said:

@SargeGulp said:

I totally agree. I did not mean nor do I believe the content/direction will change along with the redesign but I will still expect to see a shitstorm of whining when it comes about, hopefully this won't be the case. It's just hard for me to see how they can top the current design which is pretty good IMO. Then again, I'm not an expert at designing websites so I trust Dave and Alexis to give me what I want even if I didn't know I wanted it.

And yes the Will/Norm/Whitta combo is amazing and I still visit Tested even though their content, like you said, has been like a person with a short term attention span latching onto a topic for awhile and moving onto another one the following week. I'll wait for them to settle down as well but I really dislike using their current site design.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#99  Edited By penguindust

It's felt the same to me. There has been less video content that I absolutely feel I need to watch but that has as much to do with the time of the year as anything. I'd like to see something creative like TANG, Endurance Run or Mailbag to fill the doldrums. Not those features though, I'm just mean something new and different than what's appeared before. Still, outside of the new video play which thankfully isn't as bad as the one on Gamespot, I haven't really seen much of difference.

Ha-ha, I haven't seen any change over on AnimeVice either, so two of the three former Whiskey sites I frequent are the same as they ever was...same as they ever was.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#100  Edited By Carryboy

Its funny i was thinking of cancelling my renewal aswell which is funny because its the first time ive considered it.

The reviews section on the website is pretty much redundent what little actually gets reviewed it usually way after the game comes out (on average) and far later then any other game website. People will point to multiple defences for this im sure but there really isnt much of an excuse.

Therefore the only thing im really interested in the site for is video content of which the site its lacking in updates certainly from a subscriber point of view.

I agree with the sentiment that they seem to be talking about how busy they are but nothing to show for it. Saying preparing for E3 isnt a good answer, from a content point of view all they need to organise is taking a camera round with them and arranging the podcasts.

Finally i also agree they seem to be pretty ... negative (i want to say negative but that might be to strong a word) about some tnts like there do us a big favour.

Lastly let me just say im not calling giant bomb shit im not saying i hate them i subscribed for a reason however for the reasons abover and a few others i will not be renewing mr subscription.