Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Why is the Halo: Reach beta not packaged with Crackdown 2?

How awesome and hilarious would that have been?

Missed opportunity.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

I lol'd

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yeah, that would have been pretty cool. Regardless of how good Crackdown was, the only reason it sold so much was because of the Halo 3 beta.

But anyway, I'm REALLY excited to see what the Halo: Reach multiplayer is going to be like. And is Halo: Reach going to be the equivelant of Halo 4?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kush

I'm more curious as to whether a Halo beta will help a Halo game sell better or not? That is the ultimate question...Can Halo make Halo sell better?

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Reuben
@Gorillawhat said:
" Yeah, that would have been pretty cool. Regardless of how good Crackdown was, the only reason it sold so much was because of the Halo 3 beta.But anyway, I'm REALLY excited to see what the Halo: Reach multiplayer is going to be like. And is Halo: Reach going to be the equivelant of Halo 4? "
No, It's a prequel. I guess you can call it Halo 4 if you want.
Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Zereta
@Kush said:
" I'm more curious as to whether a Halo beta will help a Halo game sell better or not? That is the ultimate question...Can Halo make Halo sell better? "
I'll give you the ultimate answer then.

Halo does not make Halo sell better. Halo makes Halo make Halo sell better.

Figure it out :D
Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Reuben

Definitely not something for me to figure out at 7am lol

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish
@Kush said:
" I'm more curious as to whether a Halo beta will help a Halo game sell better or not? That is the ultimate question...Can Halo make Halo sell better? "
The answer is: it has the name Halo in it.

So yes.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@LordXavierBritish said:
"
@Kush said:
The answer is: it has the name Halo in it.So yes."

And you know, Halo is known to be a quality game franchise.  It's not all in the name
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By KamasamaK
@SmugDarkLoser: See Halo Wars. It's not a bad game, but it wouldn't have sold like it did without "Halo".
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@LordXavierBritish said:
"
@Kush said:
The answer is: it has the name Halo in it.So yes."

And you know, Halo is known to be a quality game franchise.  It's not all in the name
"
See, you say that, yet I know a person who hates all kinds of strategy game; but he bought Halo  Wars because the title said "Halo."
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By EpicSteve

They should have tried to release Crackdown in July, package a beta for Halo 3 ODST, and when you buy ODST you get your Reach beta.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

Well Halo ODST will be out this year when the Halo Reach beta will be ready or soon there after.  Crackdown 2 won't be out until sometime next year maybe.  All we have is a trailer for that game and no idea of how deep they are into development.  It's a matter of timing.  But I see the joke you were going for and yeah that would have been funny. 

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Kamasama said:
"@SmugDarkLoser: See Halo Wars. It's not a bad game, but it wouldn't have sold like it did without "Halo"."
But Halo Wars isn't a real Halo.
Without Halo Wars being Halo, it would have been a pretty good rts, but you know....a rts.

Wars imo was good, not great.   A solid AA game.  Worth getting if you like the halo lore....even though this one is kind of meh on it.
-->  halo wars is, so far, the biggest departure.  ODST is much different, but it seems pretty similar to Halo3, well....the core gameplay mechanics and it's a shooter.  Of course it's open hub, etc.  but you should understand what I mean.
Again, this will sell like mcgriddles, despite being a mostly single player and overpriced (in comparison to other halo games--- assuming you own halo 3),  Granted, from a halo fna's perspective, it looks awesome--->and you should know that this game is meant to be fanservice--- it's essentially what the bungie.net community asked for and then some (and I do mean they asked for this event) and even with things like the halo 1 pistol (alhough it's really a halo 2 pistol modified to be more like halo 1's and then remodeled) and the brute plasma rifle.  Hell, if Crackdown is anythign to go by, this game could be just the beta to reach and it'd sell great.  I do like Crackdown a lot though, so it's no diss to that game.

Halo: Reach is somethign we really don't know much about yet except that it's a fullblown halo-prequel.  Inside the bugnie community some of us have ideas that this might actually be a continuation of halo, taking place where halo 3 ends, but also taking place on reach with the spartans, etc.  prior to halo 1.  If you want me to explain, I will.    And hey, for those complainers, they said they are using their new engine for this game on their site and that it will be one of the best looking games when  it comes out.  That being said, my god, I don't think anyone who complains even remembers what halo 3 actually looks like.  Damn, watch some videos at least.  And in ODST, that drop pod thing was easily the most nea tlooking scene I have seen for a while. In game first person cutscenes
 ftw!
* wow, don't feel like rereading.  That felt like very awful writing though.  
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
@Kush said:
I believe you just opened up a black hole somewhere in the world and people are in danger.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

I was pretty disappointed honestly, and no, before any retard quotes me and comments "you're just hating on Halo" or whatever, you can stop yourself. I was very excited when I heard them say Bungie was announcing a new game, we would finally hear what its called....then its just another Halo. It has nothing to do with hating on Halo, but more so that Bungie is just such a talented developer I was really hoping this reveal would be something new and original from them, not just another Halo. I believe they are still working on something new and original, but Its disappointing that wasn't the thing to me a lot.

I really don't care about another Halo from them, I would love to see something new.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@pause422 said:
"I was pretty disappointed honestly, and no, before any retard quotes me and comments "you're just hating on Halo" or whatever, you can stop yourself. I was very excited when I heard them say Bungie was announcing a new game, we would finally hear what its called....then its just another Halo. It has nothing to do with hating on Halo, but more so that Bungie is just such a talented developer I was really hoping this reveal would be something new and original from them, not just another Halo. I believe they are still working on something new and original, but Its disappointing that wasn't the thing to me a lot.I really don't care about another Halo from them, I would love to see something new."
They said they are working on that.
Anyway though, considering the fiction from reach, I can say with confidence that, as long as they don't screw their own canon, you should expect much, much more massive scenes and actually....potentially squad based spartan gameplay.  I believe you play as the blue team in reach.

Just wait.  Don't forget that Bungie is a pretty large studio.  If they only had 1 team and then the smaller ODST team, that'd mean that Reach team would be huge.  And you know, Bungie said they started to work on a new game  as they started Halo 3 development.  They said it wasn't ODST (keep it clean at the time).  I can't imagine they were doing Reach before halo 3 was done, or drawing to a conclusion (meaning some people, like concept artists, didn't have anything else to do), but rather that its the new game.  That or Reach is going to be one hell of a different experience.
Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Puppy
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Kamasama said:
"@SmugDarkLoser: See Halo Wars. It's not a bad game, but it wouldn't have sold like it did without "Halo"."
But Halo Wars isn't a real Halo. Without Halo Wars being Halo, it would have been a pretty good rts, but you know....a rts. "

Erm, that's exactly what Kamasama was saying.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Puppy said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Kamasama said:
But Halo Wars isn't a real Halo. Without Halo Wars being Halo, it would have been a pretty good rts, but you know....a rts. "
Erm, that's exactly what Kamasama was saying."
I get that, but what I meant to get across is that Halo Wars - Halo < Halo 3 - Halo.  Halo 3 would have been popular without Halo.  Not necessarily the case with Wars.
Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Puppy
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Puppy said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Kamasama said:
I get that, but what I meant to get across is that Halo Wars - Halo < Halo 3 - Halo "

Right but what your last post stated contradicted your original claim that Halo sells because of quality; not because of the name - which is what Kamasama stated, then you inadvertently agreed with.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Puppy said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Puppy said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Kamasama said:
I get that, but what I meant to get across is that Halo Wars - Halo < Halo 3 - Halo "
Right but what your last post stated contradicted your original claim that Halo sells because of quality; not because of the name - which is what Kamasama stated, then you inadvertently agreed with."
Well I was differentiating Halo from Halo Wars.  Halo does sell because of quality--> how did it ever get popular in the first place?  Halo Wars sold because of its name, though a solid foundation made it so it was still okay to buy for the consumer (no matter what, they're not going to buy total crap, masterchief isn't mario).  I'm not trying to say the name, now, doesn't give it a boost in sales, but that the core of it, even without the halo theme, would still sell well.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KamasamaK

Ok guys, we get it. At least stop quoting since I keep getting messaged. ;)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

But anyway, to pause--> I definately do want to see a non halo bungie game. It'll probably be announced before Reach is out (assuming reach wans't the game in development alongside halo 3). 
Reach though, is something that definately desires to be explored.  Out of all the halo canon that we know of, it is by fa rmost suitable for a game.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By pweidman

Smug: That last paragraph makes no sense at all.  Please do explain...after you've gotten some sleep,lol.  In the meantime I'll speculate on Reach.  We're talking many spartans.  4 player co-op centric gameplay, all as spartan's....in 3rd person, with cover and run/roll movement options.  New covenant enemies, and a revisit/update to the CE pistol for sure.  Story driven more than  ever with the novel series  author closely integrated, ala ME Karpashin's role. 
Can't wait myself for more on H:R, but we'll prolly get next to nothing till ODST drops.  Also, the fact that they included the beta of Reach mp as a selling point for ODST, tells me this is going to be mediocre expansion type release...totally not worth $60 btw.

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Puppy
@Kamasama:

You can turn that off in your preferences, you know.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KamasamaK
@Puppy: Why would I do that? I want to be notified when someone is replying to me. You guys are replying to each other with me happening to be in the quotes.
Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Puppy

Ok, that's perfectly understandable. Fair enough.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@pweidman said:
"Smug: That last paragraph makes no sense at all.  Please do explain...after you've gotten some sleep,lol.  In the meantime I'll speculate on Reach.  We're talking many spartans.  4 player co-op centric gameplay, all as spartan's....in 3rd person, with cover and run/roll movement options.  New covenant enemies, and a revisit/update to the CE pistol for sure.  Story driven more than  ever with the novel series  author closely integrated, ala ME Karpashin's role.  Can't wait myself for more on H:R, but we'll prolly get next to nothing till ODST drops.  Also, the fact that they included the beta of Reach mp as a selling point for ODST, tells me this is going to be mediocre expansion type release...totally not worth $60 btw. "
How do you draw that conclusion?  Reach is only a selling point to you apparently.
Reach is in there so people won't, simply put, sell their game.  (beta doesn't come out on launch remember).  There are so many dumb gamers out there that quite literally will play through a single player campaign once and then sell it.  (never sell your games!!!!)  Seeing as how the multiplayer they're packaging in is halo 3's complete mp (which in reality makes this game potentially a better deal than halo 3 if you somehow don't have halo 3), if you have halo 3 and all the map packs and are willing to spend $10, you could sell it.

But seeing as how this is bungie and the end and they've been rather good to their community, I'm sure there will be enough packed into there that we might not even know about yet.  Firefight was just announced.  It's possible that there's more of these. 

I do agree that it's bullshit though.  It should be $40.  But I don't see why you think the quality is going to be affected.  Ones a choice by MS, the other something by Bungie.
- Will be a tool and spend $60 for it though.  You know, I've gotten way more gameplay time out of Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3 than any other game and are all well worth their prices in value of gameplay time.  I don't mind getting something that is, well, an average shooter's campaign length in reality, with some new maps and a horde mode for $60.  It's not really that bad of a deal.  I'll probably end up playing through the campaign multiple times and Firefight is probably going to be really fun.

* Hey, and I think you're forgetting about the biggest ripoff there is--> Left 4 Dead.  lol. 
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By pweidman

@Smug: That conclusion is based on the fact that most Halo fans( of which I am one)already have the map paks, have already played oodles of the Halo 3 mp, and the gameplay they showed just looked like more of the same from Halo 3 w/o MC.  It didn't look very fresh even w/the newish weapons.  Same engine/graphics that looks so textureless and dated, model quality, and mediocre animations.  The Reach beta key add-on protects the guys from the main team who opted to go for the whole ODST idea.  The firefight mode sounds fun, but again just seems like an addition that's been done and added to give perceived value.   They already admitted the ODST campaign is short yet it gets packaged up for the full $60.  I don't blame Bungie really....this is all M$ imo.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By guerrilla_mason
@turbomonkey138 said:
" I lol'd "

Am I dumb, because I can't figure out why the first post is funny.
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Guerrilla_Mason said:
"Am I dumb, because I can't figure out why the first post is funny. "

No Caption Provided
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crunchUK

Since ODST has no MP of its own, i suppose it's to justify full price... maybe

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a price announced for ODST yet? If the multiplayer is any good, I really want to see how Bungie handles combat with the weaker Drop Troopers, I think it has enough play time to dollar to justify a full priced game. Though I'm sure no one would complain if it came out at forty.

Either way, worse games have asked you to pay sixty dollars. At least this looks like a quality product.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By guerrilla_mason
@LordXavierBritish said:
"
@Guerrilla_Mason said:

No Caption Provided
"

I knew about the first Crackown/Halo 3 Beta thing, but still not getting the funny.  
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Guerrilla_Mason said:
"
@LordXavierBritish said:
"
@Guerrilla_Mason said:

No Caption Provided
"
I knew about the first Crackown/Halo 3 Beta thing, but still not getting the funny.   "
Shush
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Kamasama said:
" Ok guys, we get it. At least stop quoting since I keep getting messaged. ;) "

Crackdown stands alone now that it's a tried & true intellectual property.  Although sadly, from what I've seen, Crackdown 2 doesn't have that arcade look of Crackdown 1 which I have come to enjoy.  They're making Crackdown 2 to realistic-looking, which I think it the wrong direction to go with it.  Bright neon colors, holographic imagery, massive violence, & English-style anime voice overs are key.