Solo streams are boring

• 49 results
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've noticed the site rely more and more on solo streams to showcase games or to fill the content schedule and I think these streams are generally much worse than the average quicklook or video feature. GiantBomb struck gold with the concept of multiple people bantering on video. This format is great with 2 people and even better with 3 as 2 people can focus talking and asking questions while the third focuses on playing the game.

Today's Monster Hunter stream was the perfect example to illustrate the problem. If Jason did the stream in the studio with Brad and Jeff or whoever else I would've been sold. I would've watched the whole thing. Now if it's Jason by himself at home he's competing with thousands of twitch streamers who are frankly much more experienced at streaming solo than any of GB crew.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Solo streams are something I'll watch closely. Because it's generally a game someone knows a lot about or is interested in. Jason and Monster Hunter, or Jeff and his Old Games.

Multiple people streams, that's the kind of stuff I just listen to in the background for the banter.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I really enjoyed Jason's stream, but it's worth noting that there's a Quick Look for Monster Hunter coming in the next day or two which will absolutely fill that void. I would not be surprised to see at least one or two more videos on that game in particular, too, given that several members of staff have expressed an interest in giving the series a proper shot with World.

It's perhaps worth noting that the majority of solo streams on the site (such as Jeff's old game streams, or Ben's recent 'On the Mend' series) are done by staff while at home, and that in most cases it's likely something which could only exist in that format. These aren't replacing multi-person videos but rather an additional thing they're doing either on their own time or during days where they are working from home.

If they aren't your thing, then just skip over them. I probably do tend to prefer the multi-person videos a little more, but I have enjoyed a ton of recent solo videos on the site too. I actually found today's stream worked pretty well as Jason was able to walk through the early stages at his own pace and explain everything rather than having to deal with questions or maintain a separate conversation while focusing on the game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zeik

I found myself enjoying Jason's solo MH stream much more than most Quick Looks these days, actually. Maybe because it was long enough that he had time to actually do stuff, and he didn't have to spend 2/3 of the time trying to explain the basics of basics to the other person. I just wanted to see someone play some Monster Hunter that had some decent knowledge about it. I also appreciated that it was one of the rare examples of a lengthier feature like that not being locked behind premium. More and more I feel like the site is becoming premium only.

If they want to do more MH streams in the future with multiple people I'd be cool with that, but I absolutely prefer more solo streams like that, or Jeff dicking around with old games by himself, than force everything to be in a group and ultimately less, and less varied, content on the site.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think in many instances on Giant Bomb that if doing a solo stream is not an option, then there would be no stream at all.

Clubbins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the chat on Jason's MH stream. Was a good complement to Jason's focus with lots of Monster Huntin' Q&A. Maybe one person focused on a game is contagious to the chat?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It's funny you say that it seems like it's filling a content void - I've felt just the opposite. There's just as much multi-staff member content as before (if not more) but there are supplemental solo streams on top of the stuff that's always been around.

Ultimately I find they serve different audiences. I like both solo and multi-person content but prefer to watch the multi-person content first. If you don't like the solo stuff there's still plenty of other stuff to watch, I think.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm a dog and I enjoy them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I learned a lot from the Jason stream in question.
It was both informative AND entertaining.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@pyrodactyl: Sure, someone else on Twitch may be more experienced streaming alone, however, counterpoint: they're not named Jason Oestreicher.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more like to watch a solo stream if I'm actually interested in the game and one with multiple people if I'm there for the dynamic they bring no matter what's on screen. Given that I personally am more likely to be multitasking and not closely watching any one thing the latter is usually more appealing to me but both have their place.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By forteexe21

But his wife was hunting monsters!

PlayGamesPaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't follow to many variety streamers, but I would gladly watch most of GiantBomb crew solo steam. Not Wow mind, Never Wow.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah, these kinds of things aren’t filling voids, they’re layered on top of what we already have. Ben’s not in the office which is why he’s got his Mend stuff and Jeff does his solo streams are something he does from home.

lKennedyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You? don't have to watch? every stream/video? It's okay to not enjoy every single piece of content they put out?

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could it just be that certain people's personalities you like more and thus stuff without them is of limited appeal? Clearly there is the exact opposite opinion being expressed in reaction.

I mean its even possible to pull that further. Its possible to say, be a fan of Jason whenever he is in a group, but not by himself. Maybe what you like about someone's personality is how they bounce of other people. Or Heck even a very specific duo/group dynamic. That's all valid to me.

But its also just opinion. Its not a factor of "solo stuff is an issue" but it seems "I don't like some/any of the GB people solo" for individual people.

Not shocking since it can work in the exact opposite way. I don't find Ben and Abby joint content entertaining at all, their humor together doesn't translate to me at all. But Individually or in a larger/different group dynamic? I'm a fan of both of them. That doesn't imply there must be some reason Abby and Ben's sense of humor don't work for me..other then me.

And...that is ok? Like no where on this website does it say "Only content that BladedEdge Likes is allowed". Nor insert any other single users name, aside from I guess maybe the staff, or their higher-up who might get veto-power on any given proposed piece of content, which is obviously fine.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Jeff's old games streams.

Though some of that is more twitch and his own time. So the solo stream makes more sense.

But I'm with you. I can see how solo can be kind of anti giant bomb. Doesn't bother me but it's not a video a prioritize.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I actually quite like them. They're more chill and intimate. Old games streams, WoW streams, whatever. I guess that's something people like about watching Twitch streamers.

In any case, I don't think there's a risk of that becoming the norm.

It's funny you say that it seems like it's filling a content void - I've felt just the opposite. There's just as much multi-staff member content as before (if not more) but there are supplemental solo streams on top of the stuff that's always been around.

Ultimately I find they serve different audiences. I like both solo and multi-person content but prefer to watch the multi-person content first. If you don't like the solo stuff there's still plenty of other stuff to watch, I think.

Yup, that's how I look at them as well.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there is more than enough content that if you don't like one thing there is something else here for you. I enjoy watching most streams personally, i think sometimes the game choice can hold a stream back a bit though. Like i can't watch anything dota related at all lol.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They definitely don't seem to be taking the place of other content so I don't see it as a problem. They are mainly additional streams where there would be nothing otherwise so I don't see how that is a bad thing.

Mechanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason took time out of his life to do this and I think it's awesome that he did. If you don't like the solo stuff there is a ton of back catalog content to go through until there are new regular videos. I think critical feedback is important but try not to be rude(not an accusation just be mindful the staff does view this stuff).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

They definitely don't seem to be taking the place of other content so I don't see it as a problem.

Exactly. The alternative to streaming solo from home would have been to do nothing at all, it's not like they canned a planned feature in order for Jason to do this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think the solo streams are to fill schedule, it's extra content over an already pretty packed one. The only one who does solo streams pretty frequently is Jeff, and I think those are super fun to watch, and many of them don't make it on the site even. Otherwise they are not very common. Yes Jason did one now, Rorie is doing a WoW one but it's been ages since he last did one. The only reason Ben is putting out solo videos is because he's been home sick.

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with them doing solo streams, I just don't find them entertaining myself. But I would totally watch a series of Jason teaching them how to play Monster Hunter. They don't have to play the whole game or anything, but I would like to see a video or stream every week or two.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't really see a problem with it... it's just extra stuff on top of all the normal features they do. It's also cool that individual staff members have the opportunity to showcase a game they're particularly excited about or interested in without having to deal with a group dynamic. They can just focus on the game, take questions from chat, or whatever.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I definitely prefer a two person Quick Look but never going to complain when they do stuff that's extra.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 man quick looks do have the advantage of setting up "Socratic questioning" (at least they did in the past), but I thought last night's solo stream from Jason was great because he seemed so enthused. I'm all for more content from the 9 staffers here.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're making the assumption that it replaces other videos, it doesn't.
I always had this idea that if i joined the GB staff i'd want to show the audience my favourite games from the 2000's, an excuse for me to replay all my favourite games, but unless other staff members were also excited to see those games again it would probably be a solo stream, like how Jeff plays his old favourites from home.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TopCat88

When the stream is done solo, the game being played is the definining factor as to whether I watch it.

When it's a group show, I'll at least start watching it, regardless of what's being played. UPF is too long for me to watch it all every week.

In this case, I have no interest in MH:W so I have no interest in this stream. That's not a slight on Jason, whom I like a lot. To be honest, my interest in Monster Hunter is so low, I doubt I'll watch even the QL. It's likely I'm the one missing out, certainly not Jason, nor other shows the site puts out.

I would never want anyone to stop doing any stream they want to do. I'm sure it found an audience.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Ravelle

I will listen to Jason giggle about Monster Hunter for hours. Jeff's solo streams are neat because he has a lot of insight of the games he plays and love to learn about the old games.

I'm used to solo streams because I watch a bunch of Twitch streamers a lot.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I do not like solo streams, but that's OK.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will watch a Vinny solo stream any time, any day. It depends on the content. Some games are better solo and some with a lot of downtime better with banter.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agree - I just switched off the Monster Hunter video when I realised it was just Jason and watched an old quick look instead.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who's never played a Mon Hun but will finally get an opportunity when MHW comes to PC, I really appreciated Jason doing a beginner's video. I don't think it would have been improved significantly if there were more people or if he was playing in the studio. I do not like the format of Twitch streams for the most part as to support a large channel most hosts have a sort of forced engagement with the community that is just kinda off putting.

I tune into Jeff's home streams once in a while. They're casual and fun and it's cool to see Jeff just kinda playing whatever weird old game has been occupying his attention at the moment. Normally these are on mondays, a day that's normally been pretty silent on the site in previous years so the extra content is appreciated.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arjailer said:

Totally agree - I just switched off the Monster Hunter video when I realised it was just Jason and watched an old quick look instead.

In other words, you didn't even give it a shot, you assumed something and went with it.

@pyrodactyl: As for the OP, like others have said, it's extra content, there's already a ton of stuff; Would you rather there wasn't any stream at all? Because that was very likely considering the rest of the crew predisposition towards monster hunter.

And please, competing with twitch streamers? First of all they are not competing for anything, they have a real job that pays them; And second there really is no contest, I'd watch a solo GB stream over any twitch "me too" person any day of the week, with their ridiculous overreactions and incessant banter.

if I watch a video of a game is because I'm interested in said game, I don't have to have a key chain constantly dangling in front of my face to keep me entertained.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arjailer
@onarum said:
@arjailer said:

In other words, you didn't even give it a shot, you assumed something and went with it.

if I watch a video of a game is because I'm interested in said game, I don't have to have a key chain constantly dangling in front of my face to keep me entertained.

Guess we like different things then.

I've spent enough years digesting entertainment to know what I like and what I don't like.

Edit: And I'm in no way saying that solo videos shouldn't exist - just that, like the OP, it's not what I personally come to Giantbomb for.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By onarum

@arjailer: Fair enough, but in that case all you do is not watch the particular videos you don't like, I think complaining about the fact that they exist is silly(since there are those that appreciate them), if all GB was doing was solo streams then I'd agree, but that's far from being the case

edit: also to clarify I'm talking more about the OP, since he's the one that felt like he had to complain about it.

And I'll own to the fact that even though I accused you of not giving it a shot and disregarding it from assumption I pretty much do the same with twitch streamers, because really I'm yet to find one that attempts to do a more informative thing instead of just desperately trying to keep everyone's attention by over-reacting to everything.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to be in the right mood, but they're usually more chilled out and peaceful than their regular content and I need that sometimes.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I wish Rorie's streamed were featured/archived more prominently, because then I'd actually watch them. As it is, they always seem elusive to me.

I think it's naive to say videos don't fill certain slots in schedule, or something similar. There are scheduling concerns and they've always made it seem like half their jobs was just planning what was going to go up on the site when. I'd like for videos to be released as soon as they were ready, but that's not how the site works.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that giantbomb solo streams don't just rely on screaming a lot or being overtly vulgar for no reason unlike twitch streams. I can not understand why people find that entertaining.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Okie dokie.

Solo streams exist for a reason. Brad is streaming while other people are out of town. Jeff is streaming from home. Etc. As mike said, the options in these cases are you either have a stream and a video later, or no stream and no video. If you don't like these videos, that's Okay.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them. Rorie's WoW streams are fun. Jeff has good classic game streams and so on. Good stuff.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them. I may not watch all of them because the games doesn't interest me but I do find them entertaining.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I welcome any and all content they want to do. There are certainly things I just skip or watch a small amount of, but I am always sure someone out there probably really enjoyed it. For me personally one of my favorite series of videos is Jar Time which is a solo thing.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends for me, I didn't like Jason's stream and did not watch a lot of it but that's because I'm not a big Monster Hunter fan. However, Brad's stream of Breath of the Wild last year was wonderful.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@csl316 said:

Solo streams are something I'll watch closely. Because it's generally a game someone knows a lot about or is interested in. Jason and Monster Hunter, or Jeff and his Old Games.

Multiple people streams, that's the kind of stuff I just listen to in the background for the banter.

This is a great explanation. I don't think Solo streams take anything away from what Giantbomb does or offers. I think its a completely different take, and gives us more options for videos to enjoy. Quick looks, and/or multi-person content takes more resources, some they don't always have. So giving the options for a variety of content is important.

As @csl316 stated, the multi person streams are great for the banter in the background while doing other things. I realize that may not be how everyone views them but I know I do and I think it works really well. To fully discount their solo streams I feel is a bit of a strong stance to take. All of those who do the solo streams have done unique things and are often because of a specific knowledge/interest in the game or game types they are showcasing. Views you wouldn't get in an otherwise multi-person stream.

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I have great news for you! Turns out, you don't actually have to watch those videos.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure any solo videos these guys do from home don't actually subtract from any of the other content they do in the office, it's just them doing extra streams because they really like that game.

I'm sorry you don't like the extra free content.