Sony is trying too hard to go all tween on your ass.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By MetalGearSunny

We all know companies want to capture the attention of little girls now a days. It's not a surprise. It was even a "hot topic" at E3. But the things that the companies do to advertise this kind of stuff is a bit crazy in my mind. I'm pointing the finger at you Sony. Normally, I wouldn't mind this stuff, but the wording for the ad has gotten to me. I'm talking about this.

Why does this remind me of that Verizon commercial?
There are a number of things that hit me there. One, "OMG LILAC PSP!". If this is directed to young girls, the chances of them knowing the meaning of "omg' or 'lilac' is very small. How do I know this, you ask? Well, I just so happen to be an older brother of a girl who loves to yell Hannah Montana lyrics all day without a care in the world. I have never heard her said 'omg' in her life.

Also, the whole "Girlz play too" deal. What? I know a ton of girls who play games (not talking about the girls on the internets) and that sentence alone feels weird. Hell, I wouldn't have minded it much, but they spelled "girls" with a "z". Who does that anymore? Anyone? I am missing something?

While watching my sister watching Disney channel, I saw that they are having some sort of contest. Winner gets this lilac PSP with Hannah's signature on it or something. That is a clever marketing wise, and it has been the only thing I found smart since the whole ad campaign started.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm not a teenage girl is why I'm not crazy about this. The whole thing feels desperate, using old terms such as "girlz" that no one uses anymore to advertise. But, again, I'm not a teenage girl! Or am I.....
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MetalGearSunny

We all know companies want to capture the attention of little girls now a days. It's not a surprise. It was even a "hot topic" at E3. But the things that the companies do to advertise this kind of stuff is a bit crazy in my mind. I'm pointing the finger at you Sony. Normally, I wouldn't mind this stuff, but the wording for the ad has gotten to me. I'm talking about this.

There are a number of things that hit me there. One, "OMG LILAC PSP!". If this is directed to young girls, the chances of them knowing the meaning of "omg' or 'lilac' is very small. How do I know this, you ask? Well, I just so happen to be an older brother of a girl who loves to yell Hannah Montana lyrics all day without a care in the world. I have never heard her said 'omg' in her life.

Also, the whole "Girlz play too" deal. What? I know a ton of girls who play games (not talking about the girls on the internets) and that sentence alone feels weird. Hell, I wouldn't have minded it much, but they spelled "girls" with a "z". Who does that anymore? Anyone? I am missing something?

While watching my sister watching Disney channel, I saw that they are having some sort of contest. Winner gets this lilac PSP with Hannah's signature on it or something. That is a clever marketing wise, and it has been the only thing I found smart since the whole ad campaign started.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm not a teenage girl is why I'm not crazy about this. The whole thing feels desperate, using old terms such as "girlz" that no one uses anymore to advertise. But, again, I'm not a teenage girl! Or am I.....
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

Lilac huh? Is it supposed to smell like lilac?  : - P

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3  Edited By Tireyo

Nah, I guess I'm wrong. It's supposed to match their nails.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1

i agree. i laughed when i saw OMG LILAC PSP.  

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DeadMan

I wonder if they are going to do the same thing with the PSP GO.

Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Neon941

I agree, but I wouldn't get too mad. It's a campaign dreamed up by a bunch of suits who have no idea who's even playing video games nowadays and are just looking to make more money out of an untapped market. If they went to their local game store more often they'd know that in fact 'girlz' do play games aswell and don't require any dumb ad campaigns. I've seen good portions of the Hannah Montana market buying things like Sonic (not a great boast these days, but trying to make a point here) and Mario games. The problem isn't that girls don't play games, the problem is that since the suits know nothing about real life so they have no idea how they should target these girls.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@Neon941: Exactly. Thank you.
monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By monkey523

Lilac is code for "let's make it purple so girls won't feel left out"

I'm not surprised that marketing suits still don't realize that its normal for girls to play video games.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jkz

I want a lilac/pink PS3/360....sounds bloody awesome

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@jukezypoo said:
" I want a lilac/pink PS3/360....sounds bloody awesome "
God no.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jkz
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @jukezypoo said:
God no. "
Cmon. Hot Pink 360 + Controllers.....Yes Please
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Famov
monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By monkey523
@jukezypoo said:

Cmon. Hot Pink 360 + Controllers.....Yes Please "

dude, these already exist. well, controllers at least. An entire pink 360 would be freakin sweet!!
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@jukezypoo said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @jukezypoo said:
God no. "
Cmon. Hot Pink 360 + Controllers.....Yes Please "
Spray paint? I don't know!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Did you notice Ubisoft's press conference at E3 this past year? 

Sony is nowhere even close to going overboard...

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@jakob187 said:
" Did you notice Ubisoft's press conference at E3 this past year?  Sony is nowhere even close to going overboard... "
Sure games like Catz and Dogz are really dumb, but I'm talking hardware here.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm guessing they're advertising to the same girls who say absolutely no problem with Bratz. "O-M-G, these dolls are, like, so cool! Mom, get me these dolls or you don't love me!" The annoying demographic is often where the money is.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rjayb89

My niece got this exact PSP with that crap Hannah Montana game.  Looks like they got their target demographic locked down.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@Video_Game_King said:
" I'm guessing they're advertising to the same girls who say absolutely no problem with Bratz. "O-M-G, these dolls are, like, so cool! Mom, get me these dolls or you don't love me!" The annoying demographic is often where the money is. "
If that's the case, then god save us all.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Metal_Gear_Sunny: 

To quote the great philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche: "God is dead, get the hell over it."
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho

They'll corner the market on child predators with this.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Neon941 said:
" I agree, but I wouldn't get too mad. It's a campaign dreamed up by a bunch of suits who have no idea who's even playing video games nowadays and are just looking to make more money out of an untapped market. If they went to their local game store more often they'd know that in fact 'girlz' do play games aswell and don't require any dumb ad campaigns. I've seen good portions of the Hannah Montana market buying things like Sonic (not a great boast these days, but trying to make a point here) and Mario games. The problem isn't that girls don't play games, the problem is that since the suits know nothing about real life so they have no idea how they should target these girls. "
I think it's less about the "suits" knowing nothing about real life and more about them being marketing focused businessmen. If you looked at the books, these ad campaigns are probably more effective that you would think. It's these guys jobs to make Sony more money, even if it's just a little more. Don't hate on the marketers, they are just trying to keep their jobs.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@JJWeatherman: I'm not hating on them, I just saying that their marketing strategy is really strange and cheesy!
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @JJWeatherman: I'm not hating on them, I just saying that their marketing strategy is really strange and cheesy! "
I was referring more to Neon941 when I said don't hate. And I agree, definitely cheesy. But hey, it probably raised their PSP sales 1.8% this quarter!
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @JJWeatherman: I'm not hating on them, I just saying that their marketing strategy is really strange and cheesy! "
I was referring more to Neon941 when I said don't hate. "
Well, I agreed with him, so there you go. And yes, totally cheesy.