Star Trek Online Launches with Over One Million Accounts

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Legend

This explains all the server problems Cryptic has been having. They probably didn't expect the game to be this popular before it has even launched. It's a good thing they're planning to increase the number of their servers in the coming week.

Source: 
http://kotaku.com/5463972/star-trek-online-one-million-served

Edit: Can someone please move this to the STO forums? I thought I had posted it there, but it seems I mistakenly  posted it in General Discussions. Thanks!

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Renahzor
Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Legend
@Renahzor said:
" The actual press release is:

" Already, over 1 million Star Trek fans have created accounts at the official websites."

I have 4 accounts, from trying to get a beta key, none of them are subs.  They have a VERY VERY good spokesman who spun this with media to sound like a million subscribers.  

Link with the actual press release:
 http://trekmovie.com/2010/02/02/star-trek-online-launches-with-over-1-million-accounts-new-ground-video/ "
That's really interesting, I didn't notice that. But if the STO is outselling a popular game like Mass Effect 2 on Amazon, I would say that most of these accounts are subs. Hopefully, Cryptic will make a clearer announcement about the number of their actual subscribers.
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Renahzor
@Legend:   

I'm sure they don't have those numbers yet, its too early.  It'll be next month before they can get sub numbers out, if they even want to at that time.   I would say that the majority of these "website accounts" are most certainly NOT boxes sold/subs acquired. 

Kudos to them for sure on outselling ME2 on PC(and only PC) via amazon.  Although I have a feeling this is HIGHLY skewed, considering you had to order from amazon to get a borg Bridge Officer, which is a desirable thing for many people.  The ME2 pre-order stuff was available from most any retailer and its cross platform.  The ones for STO were very specific.  I really just hope they get enough support to keep things going strong for a good long while, so I can check back in once the game is more polished.