Stupid things you do in games even though you know they're stupid

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I always walk up to ledges and try to jump off just to see if I can. Sometimes it doesn't matter because I can just save before doing so and it won't be much trouble, other times I have to restart a level or checkpoint.

Also, whenever playing online shooters I usually run into a room and start reloading even though I don't know if anyone else is there. I've died plenty of times from doing that.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By jorbear

Whenever I see some ammo on the ground, but I have a full clip and the max amount of ammo, I shoot one bullet to pick up the ammo on the ground. 
If I can't use it, then nobody can.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

In RDR when i was in a town i would only walk i would never run. Don't know why i just did.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ProjektGill

Whenever I start a new game, I try to learn what every button does the second I'm in control of the character, even though there will probably be a tutorial as soon as I start walking.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@jorbear said:
" Whenever I see some ammo on the ground, but I have a full clip and the max amount of ammo, I shoot one bullet to pick up the ammo on the ground. If I can't use it, then nobody can. "
yup, I do that a lot too.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By paradox121

I guess its not as bad but if a game has a choice between saving+quitting or saving+continuing I always continue, especially if Im done playing. I just hate being booted to the title screen. Or Im just mad. Or both.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jorbear
@zombie2011 said:
" In RDR when i was in a town i would only walk i would never run. Don't know why i just did. "  
I know why you did.  
It makes you look even cooler than any other cowboy out there. 
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By TheGremp
@zombie2011 said:
" In RDR when i was in a town i would only walk i would never run. Don't know why i just did. "
I understand this.  In GTA4, I would actually call up taxis and just relax for the entire ride in the first person view, or I'd drive a car like a civilian would.  It sounds extremely boring, and I have no idea why I enjoy that kind of thing, but I do. 

In TF2, I'm always causing shenanigans.  Spy crab rushes, medic chains, melee only, sandvich parties, etc.  

Back when I first started playing vanilla SFIV, I (like most other scrubs) had the habit of doing a j.hk into a c.hk over and over again.  I've mostly out grown this, but every now and then I wind up doing it.  It really annoys me cause every time I do that, I miss an opportunity for a huge combo.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

I just run through enemies, health be damned.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@zombie2011 said:
It's called RPing, actually. 

I suppose I have a tendency to press the dash, roll or jump button repetitively when I'm going to one place to another.  That's common, though.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011 said:
Yea, I always get annoyed when a game lacks run/walk toggle. I also constantly press F5 (Quicksave) when I play Fallout 3/ Oblivion, even when shit goes to hell and renders my quicksave useless.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By ReyGitano

I always attack friendly AI, just to see what happens.

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By TehFedro

I try to melee even if I have no chance at killing the enemy.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By I_smell

I attack doors to see if they'll smash open. They never do >:(

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OldGuy

I never use fast travel.

But I got over pushing on every wall in every room - but it took till five years after Spear of Destiny to break the habit.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fontan
@OldGuy said:
" I never use fast travel. "
Same here.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By time allen

i hammer buttons whenever i throw a poke ball.

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By whacknasty

Lol... I also do everything in the first 6 posts or so... I am a weird guy to play games with. 

I try to open/break/steal from anything that looks like it could have something inside of it.  Drove my karma to the basement in games where stealing or breaking a npc's stuff gets you in trouble.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By mfpantst

I tend to jump from high heights (like off the edge of the world) to see what happens.  In GTA i always try and 'car-surf.'  In games where I have friends I usually get bored when they're talking to me and try to shoot them. 

Avatar image for passivekaerenai
PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PassiveKaerenai

Holding B+Left to raise chance of critical hits on les Pokemons: a case of very shaky confirmation bias.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By huntad

I break every single object just because I like the feeling. I also always press start in game to see all of the options even though I do so before starting the game as well. You never know!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phantomzxro

I have done a few of these listed but what comes to my mind most is i always have to know what is around the corner. Even if i don't have to go that way i will look at every corner of a level before leaving. I don't do it as often anymore. I learned to not do it  in shooters or games i know i'm not collecting anything.
KingTut91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KingTut91

I kill myself in games to watch death animations, this is especially so in platformers/ 3rd person adventure games where there are various traps. Yep, the Prince thinks I'm a douche.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By lead_farmer

If the game has a rolling dive move, like in some third person shooters, I will use it just for the hell of it.  Like rolling up stairs.  MGS made sure I couldn't do that.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrPockets000
@jorbear said:
" Whenever I see some ammo on the ground, but I have a full clip and the max amount of ammo, I shoot one bullet to pick up the ammo on the ground. If I can't use it, then nobody can. "
Me too.   

I drop a grenade at my feet to see how intense my death animation is. 

At the beginning of a multiplayer game, if I'm playing with assholes, I'll kill myself.
donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By donchipotle

I shoot at windows or mirrors to see if they break or are bulletproof. 

Lots of bulletproof windows it turns out.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Back talk to the AI whenever they say something stupid or when I'm faking a conversation with them.  Just for fun.

Mutant_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mutant_God

In GTA Vice City sometimes for no reason I jump off the highest buildings.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

sometimes if i'm high on a building or somewhere high i sometimes jump off. it is pretty cool in some games because it feels like i'm actually falling.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Daryl

Attempt to kill all non-aggressive NPCs.

baltimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By baltimore

In racing games I forget to brake.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By JJWeatherman

I jump to move faster. 

Almost never works.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I always look up and spin really fast while playing a FPS.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By MysteriousBob

In platformers I have Sonic/the main character look up at events even though it has zero impact on gameplay and I'm the only one watching.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By ReyGitano

Forgiving people for betraying me in Halo Reach when they do it on accident, even though I know the moment I accidentally betray someone, i'll be kicked right away.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By GoofyGoober
@jorbear: LOL I do this a lot.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crusader8463

Nothing I can think of. I'm anal about always having a full clip of ammo, and I always make a point of going the opposite way a game is leading you down when it branches off because that's always where they hide the good stuff.

CountBubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CountBubba

I always test the game's ability to show the transition between moving and not moving- often there's a few frames of animation for when your character goes from standing still to running, so I tap the forward button at just the right speed to make my character stutter step with just one leg, or better yet, just kinda glide forward with the one leg out like an ice skater. I also try continuous spinning to see what that looks like.

Japanese developed 3rd person camera/control games rarely disappoint: the Metal Gear Solid series and Personas 3 and 4 are great for this particular brand of stupidity.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crusader8463
@Toms115 said:
" i hammer buttons whenever i throw a poke ball. "
The key is to press the B button just as the pokeball opens and it's supposed to give you a slightly higher chance of success. At least that's what I read in Nintendo Power when I was kid. No clue if they kept it in all the newer games or if it was just the original. I still do it out of habit though.
landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By landon

Sometimes I play "lets obey the law" in GTA type games.

Avatar image for brechtiandinnertheater
BrechtianDinnerTheater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In RPGs I have a real inexplicable need to talk to every NPC in every town after any major event in the game world, just to see if they have some canned opinion about it. Also, in RPGs, if I died after talking to a bunch of NPCs and my save was prior to said conversations, I will go back to those people, initiate conversation, and likely just hammer the buttons to skip through whatever it is they have to say, even if I know perfectly well it's inconsequential to gameplay.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By angelfan91

Whenever I play co-op games with my brother I always melee and shoot him as long as there is rechargeable health.  I don't do this for anyone else. 
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By SlightConfuse
@jorbear said:
this
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By Scrawnto
@lead_farmer said:

" If the game has a rolling dive move, like in some third person shooters, I will use it just for the hell of it.  Like rolling up stairs."

@SlashseveN303 said:

" Forgiving people for betraying me in Halo Reach when they do it on accident..."

@crusader8463 said:

" I'm anal about always having a full clip of ammo, and I always make a point of going the opposite way a game is leading you down when it branches off..."

@CountBubba said:

" I always test the game's ability to show the transition between moving and not moving...I tap the forward button at just the right speed to make my character stutter step with just one leg, or better yet, just kinda glide forward with the one leg out like an ice skater. I also try continuous spinning to see what that looks like."

@BrechtianDinnerTheater said:
" In RPGs I have a real inexplicable need to talk to every NPC in every town after any major event in the game world, just to see if they have some canned opinion about it. Also, in RPGs, if I died after talking to a bunch of NPCs and my save was prior to said conversations, I will go back to those people, initiate conversation, and likely just hammer the buttons to skip through whatever it is they have to say, even if I know perfectly well it's inconsequential to gameplay. "
I definitely do all of these, though the middle two aren't stupid.  You're supposed to forgive accidental betrayals. The people who don't are douche bags. Is it stupid not to want to be a douche? Having full ammo is always a good idea if partial clips aren't thrown away, and you're supposed to look for the secrets. The first and fourth things are just fun. I especially try to spin as fast as possible in third person games. It's always good for a chuckle. It's also cool when the developers have an animation specifically for rapid spinning.  I think the reason I do the last is that I don't want to miss any good writing, jokes, or the like. Also, someone might give me something. The second part of that though, I don't know why, but I do that too.

@crusader8463 said:

" @Toms115 said:

" i hammer buttons whenever i throw a poke ball. "
The key is to press the B button just as the pokeball opens and it's supposed to give you a slightly higher chance of success. At least that's what I read in Nintendo Power when I was kid. No clue if they kept it in all the newer games or if it was just the original. I still do it out of habit though. "
I was always under the impression that you were supposed to press B and down on the d-pad. The direction might have been superfluous. Regardless, I was pretty sure that it worked, because I caught a full health Mewtwo with a single ordinary pokeball. I kind of doubt they still have that in the new games though. 

For my own contribution: 
In games like Half-Life 2, where you have freedom of movement in the cut scenes, I like to act like a childish jerk. I'll throw stuff at the people talking to me and climb all over the furniture. It amuses me to imagine that everyone is just ignoring it, because they know that they still need me to save the day.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By TheGreatGuero
Usually I'll try to break objects and such, just to see how destructible the environment is. Maybe that's not so stupid, as long as I'm not wasting ammo, but I'm sure it would look dumb to anyone watching. 

I used to always have a habit of leaving my character idle for like 30 seconds, just to see if they would do anything. I guess I've kind of grown out of that.

@JJWeatherman said:
" I jump to move faster.  Almost never works. "
Ha, that's one I do too. I noticed I was getting into the habit of it a lot while on my horse in RDR, but then I realized that it's actually a lot slower. 

Also, in RDR, if I'm on a cliff and want to get on the lower ground, instead of finding a safer path down there, I just force my horse to jump down to it's death. It always breaks my fall.
CountBubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CountBubba

Sometimes when I'm about to stop playing a game from boredom or frustration, I'll save, then expend every single round of ammo I possibly can, usually just off into the distance, or at my AI co-op buddies.

This is frequently one of the only situations in which I end up using super-powerful guns or guns with rare ammo, and it often takes several minutes during which I remain bored or frustrated.