Superblog: Guns Used For Fighting

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

Edited By donutfever

I was just reading a list on Cracked, and I noticed an ad for a free-to-play shooter called "Combat Arms". Now, it didn't look very good. The art looked almost identical to the cover for Call of Duty: Black Ops, and the name sounded generic at first. But then I thought about the name. What the fuck does it mean

Given the fact that it was a shooter, I assume that combat means fighting, and that by arms it means guns. So the title means "Guns Used For Fighting". Why specify what the guns are used for? I could list a number of things that guns don't do in a humorous fashion, but I'm legitimately confused as to why they would name it that. Like, why talk about the guns at all? 

I mean, I presume they're not at the center of the game, right? If it was a shooter, wouldn't the action or war be at the center of it, not the guns? Though I've already closed the tab that this ad was on. Maybe I misread it, and maybe it wasn't a shooter. Maybe it's a Factory Worker Simulator that takes place at a ammunition factory during wartime? 

Perhaps I need to take another look at what "Combat Arms" means. What it really means. Perhaps it means arms. Like, arms-arms. Maybe it means both. Guns strapped to arms. Looking back at the beginning of this blog, I said this game didn't look that good. But I suppose there are some things at the world that are more than meets the eye. There are some things that require an entire blog to be written about them before you can see their inner beauty.  

And "Combat Arms" is one of them. At first I was willing to simply write it off as a Call of Duty clone. But now? 

Now I can embrace it for the Free-To-Play-Gun-Arm-Ammunitions-Factory-Simulator that it truly is.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By donutfever

I was just reading a list on Cracked, and I noticed an ad for a free-to-play shooter called "Combat Arms". Now, it didn't look very good. The art looked almost identical to the cover for Call of Duty: Black Ops, and the name sounded generic at first. But then I thought about the name. What the fuck does it mean

Given the fact that it was a shooter, I assume that combat means fighting, and that by arms it means guns. So the title means "Guns Used For Fighting". Why specify what the guns are used for? I could list a number of things that guns don't do in a humorous fashion, but I'm legitimately confused as to why they would name it that. Like, why talk about the guns at all? 

I mean, I presume they're not at the center of the game, right? If it was a shooter, wouldn't the action or war be at the center of it, not the guns? Though I've already closed the tab that this ad was on. Maybe I misread it, and maybe it wasn't a shooter. Maybe it's a Factory Worker Simulator that takes place at a ammunition factory during wartime? 

Perhaps I need to take another look at what "Combat Arms" means. What it really means. Perhaps it means arms. Like, arms-arms. Maybe it means both. Guns strapped to arms. Looking back at the beginning of this blog, I said this game didn't look that good. But I suppose there are some things at the world that are more than meets the eye. There are some things that require an entire blog to be written about them before you can see their inner beauty.  

And "Combat Arms" is one of them. At first I was willing to simply write it off as a Call of Duty clone. But now? 

Now I can embrace it for the Free-To-Play-Gun-Arm-Ammunitions-Factory-Simulator that it truly is.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@DonutFever said:

Why specify what the guns are used for?

Because they can do multiple things. You can hunt with them, or participate in sports, and even blow off locks. (I know what you're thinking, but there are guns specifically designed for this purpose.)

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By napalm

@Video_Game_King said:

and even blow off cocks.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MikeGosot
@DonutFever: Combat Arms is actually a hacking contest. Seriously. The game is just a ton of hackers competing to see the fastest way to get more kills without being banned.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Napalm said:

@Video_Game_King said:

and even blow off cocks.

Have you forgotten to take your sexlexia meds?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By cornbredx
@Video_Game_King: In one fell swoop the moon king brings the "Guns used for fighting" discussion to a close. 

I was really looking forward to theory on why the guns are even fighting to begin with, and which psychologist they prescribe to when they are emotionally detached and can no longer cope with what they have become. 
When good guns go bad, what then? WHAT THEN!? 

Sigh... i need to eat.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@CornBREDX: Then you get Armbo: First Blood!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hamst3r

The reason they specify Arms is because there are other aspects to combat (war). It's not all arms. There's also stuff like support and artillery.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

Make guns not war... No.

War guns do make... No.

Make love to guns... Perfect.

Look for my gun-based dating sim releasing this fall!

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Voshterkoff

I'm guessing that a free to play shooter does actually center around unlocking new guns and gear, rather than an intricate plot, supply chain bureaucracy, or romance.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donutfever
@Voshterkoff said:

I'm guessing that a free to play shooter does actually center around unlocking new guns and gear, rather than an intricate plot, supply chain bureaucracy, or romance.

I see your point, but you unlock the guns by playing the "game part", right? And buying them with real money I guess, but if they're advertising this as a game where you pay real money for fake guns, there's probably a reason I've never heard of this. 

Also, I should have called this blog "What's In A Name". Goddammit.