Switching from PSN to XBL

ImpureAscetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ImpureAscetic

Does anyone know if there's any data on customers who have switched to XBL after the PSN outage? I've read a couple articles like this one, but they're all speculative. Is there any solid data source for this, or am I going to have to wait for it to come through the usual channels of the core gaming sites? 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

How would anyone know or be able to find out?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Yanngc33
@Meowayne said:
" How would anyone know or be able to find out? "
Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By EndlessObsidian

Sony hath done you wrong!

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

That story lost me at the title. How the fuck can you defect from a console to another? System wars bullshit.

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Malphye

I've refrained from using live till psn is back up. We are in this together! Hope nobody calls me out in this...

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Portis
@Meowayne said:
" How would anyone know or be able to find out? "

I'm with you.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

Well you can add me to the list of people who are still gonna use PSN. Though I also have an active XBL Gold account, I just never play on my 360. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By weltal

I bought a new 360 and a second copy of Mortal Kombat.

But maybe I'm a fringe example.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By frankxiv

do former psn users all hang out on xbl? like expats or something?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Yanngc33
@ImpureAscetic: let me start your investigation: me and a friend moved on to 360 so there, that makes two people, note that I hadn't been using my PS3 before the whole leak but all my credit card info was in there so yeah
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By animateria

A lot of people probably use PSN because it has free online.

Not sure what percentage is willing to get a Gold account.

$60 bucks isn't much in a year but it still sounds sizable the day you get it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

There's no way any accurate information on this could be had.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman

I don't think too many people will jump ship. That seems silly. Then again, I don't have a PS3 and don't really know how they feel.  *shrugs*

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Commando

I don't even have a ps3, but if xbox live suddenly had something like this happen, I wouldn't go out and buy a ps3. Waste of money.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

i think it's crazy to do that. i have both consoles, but i think it's crazy that they would go for xbox 360 because of something like that. it can happen to xbox 360 also, it's just a matter of time for that to happen.

Xsheps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xsheps

They could use the Giant Bomb platform loyalty data to see if there was a jump in Microsoft and/or a drop in Sony loyalty.  I played both systems on and off and then got rid of my PS3 as I was following the recent news.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Punk1984
@iam3green: Anyone want to start placing bets? two weeks, a month, maybe a year and a half
PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By PerryVandell

I don't see how anyone could accurately calculate the number of people who jumped the PSN ship. 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ch13696

Well, the best way to tell is to find out the percentage in increase for subscribers on Xbox Live. And the only people that can tell you that is Xbox Live.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By striderno9

I'm not choosing between them in general, but I bought MK for the PS3 and quickly sold it back and got it for the 360. Online is fun.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Marcsman

I would have to replace 20-30 games by now. Nope stuck with the PSN for now.
clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By clstirens
@Delphye said:
" I've refrained from using live till psn is back up. We are in this together! Hope nobody calls me out in this... "
It's funny, I've not used live but a few sparse times since the outage, and even bought an $80 (for $190 too!).

Yet I'd normally have been on live for ages.
ImpureAscetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ImpureAscetic
@Akeldama said:

" That story lost me at the title. How the fuck can you defect from a console to another? System wars bullshit. "

So you replied to vent your exasperation at the idea of system allegiances? Are you 11? PSN is a free network. You have to pay for XBL Gold. You defect by paying for XBL in the absence of a working PSN and staying on that network for an appreciable period of time due to the fact that you just shelled out $60, although there's a strong chance you'd be called back to PSN (or prevented from being lured away at the outset) due to trophies or the presence of your friends on the PSN. 
@ch13696 said:     

" Well, the best way to tell is to find out the percentage in increase for subscribers on Xbox Live. And the only people that can tell you that is Xbox Live. "

Right. Or the percentage increase of XBL users during the time of the PSN outage. It will be interesting to see if MS releases this data. Given each company's zeal for crowing their successes, I feel like these numbers will be out eventually. I was  wondering if anyone had seen any such info. 

@Marcsman said: 

" I would have to replace 20-30 games by now. Nope stuck with the PSN for now. "

I have a similar issue, albeit on the opposite side. I have a handful of PS3 games, but my friends play on XBL, so that's how I roll. I guess some people are probably attached to their profiles and their trophies, so that would be a barrier to switching in many cases. 

I don't know how many people have multiple systems or why anyone would choose one network over another-- i.e. their reasons are their own--  but I find the issue of allegiance through achievements/trophies/gamerscore fascinating. I know that with my group of friends the games I play multiplayer tend to be constrained by the group's choice. I resisted playing Black Ops, but if I wanted to play with my friends that's what I had to play. There's a distinction there, though, between the activity your friends want to engage in versus the system they choose to play on. Since we mostly have both systems the choice of XBL or PS3 is somewhat arbitrary EXCEPT that a handful of my group care about achievements, which makes us play on XBL more often. Despite the fact that achievements are "real," they are clear markers of time and effort and occasionally skill, so people are going to want to maintain them. In effect they are this immaterial hook holding people into a service by the users' own volition. Heck, I imagine there are people who feel more attachment to GB or 1UP or Gamespot for similar reasons. 

Am I the only one who finds this kind of thing really interesting? 
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By Aaron_G

I wouldn't think there was a way to tell unless Microsoft comes out and says it had a spike of new users since the PSN outage. 

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ABritishNerd
@ch13696 said:
" Well, the best way to tell is to find out the percentage in increase for subscribers on Xbox Live. And the only people that can tell you that is Xbox Live. "
Great idea, surely there's some data Microsoft could release!
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RsistncE

Paying for a shit gaming service like Live (when there are FAR better and free alternatives out there) is retarded. Who the fuck pays for P2P gaming? Oh right, console gamers. If I was pissed off enough about the intrusion I would have sold my PS3 and put that towards a decent gaming PC because Steam is easily the best gaming service on the planet. Luckily the intrusion didn't piss me off all that much and I already have a decent gaming PC. Totally had my cake and ate it too.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By nintendoeats

People are terribly uncreative. I guarantee you that Sony will be trying to figure out exactly this in the coming months, and will conduct polls to do so. The best way be to establish the time scale (figure out exactly how much people have used the service over time) and then ask if the hack influenced their decision process.

You CAN gather this type of abstract statistical information, you just need to be clever about it. If you couldn't, most of our scientific discoveries would never have occurred.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DrPockets000

I strongly suspect that this is mostly a lot of masturbatory empty threatening.  I'd be willing to bet a lot of people are going to go back to PSN.  

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By awe_stuck
@RsistncE said:
" Paying for a shit gaming service like Live (when there are FAR better and free alternatives out there) is retarded. Who the fuck pays for P2P gaming? Oh right, console gamers. If I was pissed off enough about the intrusion I would have sold my PS3 and put that towards a decent gaming PC because Steam is easily the best gaming service on the planet. Luckily the intrusion didn't piss me off all that much and I already have a decent gaming PC. Totally had my cake and ate it too. "
we pay for the software that we use on xbl as well as the data storage. its a premium service. it doesnt go down for more than a week unless somethin serious happens (ie major earthquake, electricity outage/shortage). if i pay 50 bucks a month for good internet whats 6 measly dollars or less a month? xbl updates every 4 mths and almost every update since release has had something in it i cared about. microsoft also offers fairly good protection on xbl, so you dont have the same credit card problems like you do with psn right now. true most of the xbox live csr's are from a third world country and treat the same way they regard a dog that just took went to the bathroom on your nicely waxed floor. its still a much better service than psn.

people have been trading in their systems, as well as buying 360s during the outage. i havent seen any actual numbers, but when the quarter end you'll probably see some figures on it. :)
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By ESREVER
@Devil240Z said:
" Well you can add me to the list of people who are still gonna use PSN. Though I also have an active XBL Gold account, I just never play on my 360.  "
Yup. Same here.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RsistncE
@awe_stuck said:
" @RsistncE said:
" Paying for a shit gaming service like Live (when there are FAR better and free alternatives out there) is retarded. Who the fuck pays for P2P gaming? Oh right, console gamers. If I was pissed off enough about the intrusion I would have sold my PS3 and put that towards a decent gaming PC because Steam is easily the best gaming service on the planet. Luckily the intrusion didn't piss me off all that much and I already have a decent gaming PC. Totally had my cake and ate it too. "
we pay for the software that we use on xbl as well as the data storage. its a premium service. it doesnt go down for more than a week unless somethin serious happens (ie major earthquake, electricity outage/shortage). if i pay 50 bucks a month for good internet whats 6 measly dollars or less a month? xbl updates every 4 mths and almost every update since release has had something in it i cared about. microsoft also offers fairly good protection on xbl, so you dont have the same credit card problems like you do with psn right now. true most of the xbox live csr's are from a third world country and treat the same way they regard a dog that just took went to the bathroom on your nicely waxed floor. its still a much better service than psn. people have been trading in their systems, as well as buying 360s during the outage. i havent seen any actual numbers, but when the quarter end you'll probably see some figures on it. :) "
I wasn't comparing XBL to PSN though (XBL is a better service, but not by a large margin), I was comparing XBL to other BETTER services such as Steam. I pay no monthly fee to play on Steam yet the service is leaps and bounds better than XBL. What I'm getting at is that it's pretty stupid for people to trade in their PS3's for 360's when you take into account that you're going to lose on the trade in and then pay for the new system on top of that and have to replace all the games and accessories you had for it. Top that all off with the yearly cost of XBL, which is a massive rip off, and you're only a couple hundred off form a new gaming PC which won't cost you anything monthly to play on and games are dirt fucking cheap compared to their console versions (this weeks EA week sale on Steam is evidence of that). Basically I just don't see the logic in people getting angry and trading their PS3 in for a 360 of all things.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

When PSN finally goes back up and everyone gets over this, the ones who switched will probably regret their silly purchase just because of some downtime.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bearshamanbro

PS3 only owner here. No, I won't be jumping to Xbox/Live just because of the PSN issues. Have way too big of an investment in PS3. Hopefully this is a big wake up call to Sony and they can get really get their network and software improved. This whole ordeal has really raised a red flag about the quality of their software/network and will be a big factor to me when the next generation of consoles come out.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Sogeman
@Delphye said:

" I've refrained from using live till psn is back up. We are in this together! Hope nobody calls me out in this... "

me too!......Pssst, don't tell anyone I've been using my 360 only for DVDs and movie files anyway for the last months aside from Dragon Age 2.
Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wacomole

Personally, I'm not so vehemently addicted to online multi-player gaming that the temporary lack of such would cause me to fly into such a rage that I'd sell off my PS3 and all of the games and accessories I've accrued over the years to replace them with an XBox 360. Neither would it cause me to take the other option of forking out hundreds of pounds on a second system and a new set of games just so that I can play online while I wait for the PSN to go back up.

Now if the current situation had rendered the PS3 entirely and permanently unsuable (not even as a media player -- which I use it for a lot)  then I may have been inclined to look at the alternatives, but for now I'm pretty happy with getting my recreation offline until it is inevitably fixed.