• 110 results
Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

My predictions for 2014 - Steam Box and Playstation Now will have lukewarm receptions at best. The former because there isn't a clear market for it, the latter because the pricing scheme is gonna be out of whack.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

SoundSelf just sounds like a game that draws out chromesthesia lol

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104  Edited By spraynardtatum

I haven't looked too much into the Twitch streaming on the PS4. I streamed a little of the killzone campaign out of curiosity.

Are you able to monetize through Twitch on PS4?

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Landmine

I predict that Jeff will have the most accurate predictions. He will simply talk about things and they will happen, as though he is willing them into existence, for better or worse. He will single-handedly shape the future before our eyes.

Get ready, 2014 is going to be one hell of a ride.

POL4ICY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The next time someone asks the question "Why does everyone hate Patrick?" I will show them to this article...

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@mrgtd: Could have been a stealth game. You could argue why was the walking dead not a action game...
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the shooting, but making the middle of the screen face the bad guy and pull the trigger has been done to death. And then some.
It's actually an interesting question though, how can you present a story and a world like that, without making the combat so generic, or needing the combat to be the main focus.

TenStoryMother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

My one hope for 2014 is that we all find ways to be less divisive, but it clearly hasn't taken root yet. We need to get past this erroneous "indies are always the heroes vs those huge stifling corporate devs" mentality.

There's plenty of personal risk for independent developers, but the risk is personal--their livelihood.

I'm not doubting this is true, but you have to accept that it remains true no matter how big the dev is. One failed indie game could mean 4 people loosing their livelihood. One failed AAA game means potentially 100s of people's livelihood lost.

What you see as huge companies limiting creativity can also easily be seen as a company trying to create excellent art while maintaining a stable environment and job security for everyone involved.

And please, as was mentioned above, BI was only "seemingly" constrained by being an FPS by the players and journalists who didn't want it to be an FPS in the first place. Ken Levine has repeatedly said, even in his post BI interview on this very site that he wanted to make an FPS. Things like their shitty cover starring generic dude, he freely admits to being an intentional move to sell more copies so that they can reach a broader audience. But claiming that the fundamental underlying mechanic of the game is only a part of it because he was constrained creatively is just an utterly false assumption.

Excellent post! I agree completely with your statement regarding "huge companies."

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I want more hippie bullshit in my games."

Well put, Patrick. It isn't a popular opinion, but I love the highly creative indie games that are finally getting attention from publishers. I also like when that creativity bleeds into the AAA game sphere, and I hope to see more of it!

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#112  Edited By Spiritof

2014, Drew Scanlon will continue to add to his mystic in profound and yet unheard of ways.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@joshwent said:

And please, as was mentioned above, BI was only "seemingly" constrained by being an FPS by the players and journalists who didn't want it to be an FPS in the first place. Ken Levine has repeatedly said, even in his post BI interview on this very site that he wanted to make an FPS. Things like their shitty cover starring generic dude, he freely admits to being an intentional move to sell more copies so that they can reach a broader audience. But claiming that the fundamental underlying mechanic of the game is only a part of it because he was constrained creatively is just an utterly false assumption.

I remember reading that article on this site as well. Unless he misinterpreted himself, he seemed happy to have made exactly what he did.

For your predictions, I'm excited about the streaming part. I wonder how the internet will look once PS4s and Xbox Ones all get their functionality in order and more people own one. I can imagine Xbone selling a number of units because of the Twitch partnership, in spite of the bad reputation it has and the really good reputation PC gaming has gotten.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pol4icy said:

The next time someone asks the question "Why does everyone hate Patrick?" I will show them to this article...

And then people will be like....everyone needs to calm the fudge down, it's just an article.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Coafi

In 2014 Giant Bomb we will see the return of the interns, and maybe a new female employee.

Here are my staff predictions:

• Drew Scanlon will grow a beard and document the process with sick video edits.
  • Jeff Gerstmann will go to Japan and make a 7 hour documentary.
  • Brad Shoemaker will get better at video games and start his own shoe company. The shoes will have little monitors attached to them, so people can game while they run.
  • Patrick Klepek will buy his own dumptruck in which he'll interview video games' people while he drives at 100 mph while eating hot dogs.
  • Vinny Caravella will star in a video game as a rookie cop who has to save the president.
  • Alex Navarro will get face surgery to like Nicholas Cage.
  • Matthew Rorie will finally eat a puppy live and he will stream it through twitch.tv using his PS4 Playroom video game.
gunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By gunslinger

I'm putting my money in on Nintendo annoucing either one last big move to push out more WiiU consoles, or just flat-out announcing that this will be its last in-home console. Maybe they'll announce a big (big) price drop for it..? But hoenstly, I think the nails are all in the coffin, all that's left is for Nintendo to sprinkle the dirt.

I reckon we'll see that they'll just be a handheld company. I would say they'd go software-only, but no way would they throw away the possibility of just making handheld ports of the SNES and N64 games that everyone wants. Hell, to save their company, they could just do that. A lot of people homebrew their handhelds to do it, yes, but they did it before on the GBA and lemme tell you, I can't count the number of hours I've spent playing SMB3 on it. It's still in there, right now, I played it a couple of days ago.

Anyway, yeah. The fact that the TVii app isn't even functional in Europe because of a delay to the schedule that already meant Europe was behind, just tells you too much.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

15 things that look like your childhood!