The GB Album Club 048 - Bless My Psyche by Sincere Engineer

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UncleJam23

Duders! Welcome to the 48th edition of the Unofficial Giant Bomb Album Club. Last week, we partied with Bomba Estéreo. There were some suits at the party who were a little too keen on writing down the song names, but the party was still bumping. This week, however, we're in our rooms, we got the lights off, and we're deep in our emotions because our album this round is emo throwback Bless My Psyche by Sincere Engineer! This album was selected by @redwing42, and you can listen with the links below:

Spotify:https://open.spotify.com/album/6l15xlxmDJGC2C8xJNx673

Apple Music:https://music.apple.com/us/album/bless-my-psyche/1562761362

Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kwK3-qb4mT5IWXKmgiVEdJieYCzyxRA-c

Here at the Unofficial Giant Bomb Album Club, we gathered in a Discord, created a pool of albums, and we pick one at random to listen to and discuss every week. Sound cool? Come join!

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I'm 32 years old. I was there to witness the transition from the nu-metal phase to the emo one (or at least what we millennials call "emo"), and emo rose and hit its peak during my late middle school and high school years. My generation spent a lot of time hating the emo kids, and I've spent many of the subsequent years thinking about why. (Also, sorry if I've made these points before.)

My best guesses are the usual suspects. The anger of the older generations not understanding what the kids were doing and not liking how it reminded them of their own mortality. Our good friend performative toxic masculinity, particularly in the Bush era when kids shouldn't have been wearing all that makeup and singing about their feelings when they could've been bro-ing out and signing up to go to Iraq. Our hardwired impulse to shit on anything teenage girls like. So on and so forth.

I probably wasn't above any of that myself. But at the time, my reasoning for not liking emo or emo culture (I was friends with some of those kids though) was how solipsistic it seemed to me. Or that's the nice way of putting it because this was the height of my inability to appreciate anything that wasn't super conscious hip-hop. How could you sit around listening to Hawthorne Heights? People are dying in the war! Man.

(I was also a huge hypocrite because I dug the shit out of the emo Minneapolis rappers. That stuff just didn't register as "emo" to me at the time. The cliché emo band was singing "I'm so sad!!!!" and the cliché Minneapolis emo rapper was rapping about depressed girls named Ashley. There's a difference!)

Bless My Psyche is not really an emo album in the mid/late 2000s Fall Out Boy/Panic!/The Maine/ sense. At least to my ears, it reminded me more of older emo. Your American Footballs and Sunny Day Real Estates and whatnot. Emo that remembers it was an offshoot of hardcore. Yet, I was thinking about the former category of emo a lot while listening to it, because it made me realize that I've been spending too much time thinking "Why didn't we like the emo kids?" and not enough about the appeal of emo in the first place.

Or, to put it more bluntly, Bless My Psyche made me realize I was overthinking it. The appeal is, simply, being very loud about how miserable you are. We need shit to help us access our emotions, and I would've told my high school self that even though there may be darker shit happening in the world around you, people still need things to feel their feelings to. It also helps that Sincere Engineer sells that experience without the trappings of the aesthetics of the emo scene in the 2000s. (I'm open to the music now, but I'm not fucking with a lot of the visual aesthetic. I'm only willing to evolve so much damnit!) It's emo stripped down to its rawest form, and I dug it a lot.

There's a part of me that wishes it had more variation in its sound. But it's also a pretty short album, so I didn't sweat that too much. Really, an issue I have with it is overshadowed by what it's done in helping me think about emo better. I'm not going to go rushing into the deep end with it. But I'll happily try out some more.

Favorite Songs: "Recluse in the Making," "Come Out for a Spell," "Bless My Psyche"

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm 45, I mostly ignored nu-metal, and came to emo a bit late in the cycle. One thing I do know, though, is punk. This album (or the band in general) definitely has a classic punk feel to it. I appreciate female representation in the genre, which you don't hear often enough. I think the lead singer's vocals have just the right amount of gravel to them. The writing is clever enough to allow some smirks through the misery. It is very specifically an album of (lost) love songs, which is different than most classic punk, but it works.

I came across this band on Sirius XM's Faction Punk channel. I would rather they put the Marky Ramone channel on the regular broadcasts, instead of banishing it to internet streaming, but I take what I can get. Amidst the usual playlists of NOFX, Against Me!, Green Day, and Blink 182, there are the occasional gems that really stand out. Sincere Engineer is one, as is Bully, whom I also recommend (but is a bit more indie rock then pop). I'm glad that punk is not a lost genre at this point, even if good stuff can be hard to find.

The whole album is good, but Hurricane of Misery is one of my favorite modern punk songs, period. Not entirely sure why, but it just strikes a chord for me.