#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (724 posts) -

Giant Bomb has persuaded me to try many games that normally I wouldn't have given a second glance to. If it wasn't for the After Burner Climax Quick Look I may have never of even downloaded the trial of the game, I ended up buying it and loving it thanks to them. The endurance run sold me on the Persona series even though I'm not big into JRPGs. So I'm wondering if the GB crew has ever persuaded you to play something you normally wouldn't have. Has there ever been a game the GB crew has hyped up or convinced you that you should play? Did you love it or hate it?

#2 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2499 posts) -

Only one game, really, and I'm happy / sad to say it was Persona 4.

I should have given it a chance earlier, but it turned out to be my favourite game of all time (only recently supplanted by Golden).

As to why it's only one game after all these years and GB is my main gaming website? Well, I guess I just don't play as many games as I used to in highschool.

#3 Posted by animathias (1180 posts) -

It wasn't a great Quick Look, but I bought and downloaded Terraria before the video ended and fell deeply in love with the game. Oddly enough, it's a game that's right up my alley, but I never would have given it a glance on Steam.

Other examples would be FTL, Magicka, Orcs Must Die!, Puzzle Agent, and Majesty 2. Most recently it was Super House of Dead Ninjas, which I think is a blast, but I dunno how long I'll stick with it.

My Steam library would be a lonely place without the Bombcrew's video coverage, let alone them talking about games like FTL on the podcast.

#4 Edited by _Chad (962 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Only one game, really, and I'm happy / sad to say it was Persona 4.

I should have given it a chance earlier, but it turned out to be my favourite game of all time (only recently supplanted by Golden).

As to why it's only one game after all these years and GB is my main gaming website? Well, I guess I just don't play as many games as I used to in highschool.

This. Even the part about Golden. Also FTL, Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored.

#5 Edited by RedCream (704 posts) -

Nine Hours, Nine Persons Nine Doors- loved it
Mark of the Ninja- 'twas fine

#6 Edited by SimplyCheese (38 posts) -

Asura's Wrath. And it was awesome.

#7 Edited by Village_Guy (2538 posts) -

Deadly Premonition.

#8 Edited by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Saints Row: The Third

Never would have touched a game with that kind of attitude and premise (the marketing was pretty lame too) but holy crap was it worth it.

#9 Posted by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

FTL, Bastion and Mark of the Ninja spring to mind. And I loved all of these.

On the other hand I got burned with Rayman: Origins, but that one is mostly on me for attempting to get into a genre I have always hated (to try to expand horizons etc)

#10 Posted by Philedius (204 posts) -

Nine Hours, Nine Persons Nine Doors

Mark of the Ninja

Saints Row: The Third

Bastion

Legend of Grimrock

Wizorb

Sid Meier's Civilization V

All of those games I found enjoyable, well done GB.

#11 Posted by audioBusting (1493 posts) -

I am now addicted to Trackmania 2 Stadium. Thanks, Giant Bomb.

#12 Edited by hollitz (1496 posts) -

Xcom: loved it

Saints Row the Third: loved it

Civ V: Loved it.

I think Bastion is the only game that everyone loved that I absolutely hated.

#13 Edited by Nightriff (4979 posts) -

Oh God, in the (not even) 2 years I've been here, the GB crew has changed my opinion on games in general, I NEVER played an indie game before until last year, LAST YEAR? And I was one of those assholes that never touched a game that got lower than a "9.0"

Needless to say they have convinced me to play a lot of different games that I would have never touched in previous years and they are some of my all time favorites now.

• Persona 4 - Greatest game ever
  • Deadly Premonition and now watching Twin Peaks because of them
  • Asura's Wrath
  • Binary Domain - mainly QL sold me but the little discussion it got on the BC convinced me further
  • Saint's Row: The Third - one of the few that they over hyped, good game but not THAT good
  • Darksiders
  • Bayonetta - over hyped
  • Spec Ops The Line
  • Bulletstorm
  • Super Mario 3D Land
#14 Posted by ienkub (28 posts) -

XCOM and Euro Truck Simulator. but i haven't been on the site for that long. in fact, this is my first post!

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I think the community convinced me on Persona 4 and 999. Only one was actually worth it.

#16 Edited by probablytuna (3603 posts) -

Man, there's been a great deal of games that I've bought because of Giant Bomb, mainly:

• Persona 4
  • The new DMC
  • Saints Row The Third
  • Syndicate
  • Bastion
  • Dead Space
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Just Cause 2
  • Mark of the Ninja
#17 Posted by Sless (64 posts) -

Jeff's review of Catherine convinced me that I'd like the game, and I really enjoyed it.

#18 Edited by Pr1mus (3858 posts) -

They convinced me to play Mark of the Ninja and The Walking Dead. The former was alright but nothing more and the latter was complete and utter trash.

EDIT: Oh yeah i forgot, Vinny convinced me that Sleeping Dogs was the best thing in life and he wasn't wrong.

#19 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

Well, not convinced in the terms of making me want to play a game that I did not want to play before. But, lots of games that I did not know about and went on to play afterwards.

#20 Edited by Cheesebob (1235 posts) -

Azura's Wrath

#21 Edited by BBAlpert (1429 posts) -

A lot of the games that the Bomb Squad have inspired me to play have already been said, but there are also a number of games that they've convinced me not play (for better or worse). I was super duper pumped about the new Sim City game, but I'm have some serious doubts about it after watching the Quick Look. I know that Jeff mentions at the beginning and ending of the QL that overall he generally enjoys the game, but those two little endorsements don't inspire much confidence when they are bookending an hour's worth of pointing out major flaws.

A similar thing happened with Hitman Absolution. Leading up to the game's release, and especially after seeing some of the positive reviews, I was more than ready to fork over sixty bucks to pick the game up. But after about 45 minutes of Bombcast discussion about the awful, awful save system, I decided to hold off.

This is not to say that I think the guys are being unfairly critical or anything. Against my better judgment, Jeff's sage advice about pre-orders, and Alex's 3 out of 5 review, I pre-ordered The Cave. It was a pretty big let-down, and I wouldn't have bought it had I realized the severity of some of the flaws (I should have paid more attention to Alex's review). That next week, about half an hour of the Bombcast was devoted to complaining about the exact problems that I had with the game.

Long story short: I learned my lesson with The Cave, so I'm definitely holding out on buying Sim City until Alex's review comes in.

#22 Posted by CodeHero (134 posts) -

Oh boy have they ever:

• Dark Souls - Vinny talking about it on the podcast sold me and lead to being my favorite game of the generation
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Spec Ops The Line
  • Bastion
  • Rayman Origins
  • Syndicate
  • Binary Domain
  • Darksiders
  • Last but not least Saints Row the Third.
#24 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I don't give in to hype or persuasion, games don't cost 10 bucks. I must watch real-time Lets Plays (only a bit not the whole thing) before I buy!

#25 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Bullet points are for squares. Here's a numbered list:

1. Deadly Premonition
  2. Bastion
  3. Saints Row #3
  4. Asura's Wrath
  5. Spec Ops: The Line
  6. Walking Dead
  7. 999

#26 Posted by NorseDudeTR (422 posts) -

Yep! Saints Row the Third! Which didn’t do it for me at all, but I still see why the GB duders would love it. Madness, madness everywhere.

#27 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Asuuuras Wraaath! It is really weird though, how an informal unedited look at games with guys talking over it ccan sell me oon games more than anything else.

#28 Posted by Clonedzero (4198 posts) -

only The Walking Dead. which was enjoyable but, i'd say they hyped it wayyyyy too much. it wasn't THAT good.

now ill be more careful about trusting even GB.

#29 Edited by Commander_Crichton (155 posts) -

Persona 4, Saints Row The Third, Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Alex's review for Shadows of the Damned convinced me to get that game aaaand that crazy Dark Souls Quick Look convinced me to prepare to die. Those are the few games that come to mind. I'll also be getting Deadly Premonitions as soon as the director's cut comes out.