The Internet is a bad place

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By css_switchfoot

Vinny has said it numerous times and it really hasn't hit me until this SimCity bullshit brought to light.

We could write paragraphs about the bullshit going on...but what I think we need to have is a discussion about how to make it better. There's got to be a way to stop companies from burying shit on Google and making fake reviews on sites like Amazon. As a consumer, I don't necessarily think I'm entitled to the BEST dvd player ever when shopping on Amazon (Louie shoutout), but I am entitled to not be mislead by lies. There needs to be consequences to this stuff. I'm a little drunk posting this...and its a pretty ridiculous post, BUT what the fuck can we do? Why do we stand by and let this happen?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Alright you get the torches and I'll get the pitchforks and we'll meet downtown and we'll get those motherfuckers up against the wall!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mellotronrules

well- you could start by explaining how you felt you were lied to. were you sold simcity under false pretenses? i mean, aside from the expectation that the game would work "out of the box," what else did EA/Maxis do to make you feel taken advantage of?

also- for what it's worth, i think vinny was saying "the internet is a bad place" in reference to piracy, file lockers, SEO and click-baiting, etc.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People under-appreciate the positives that the Internet affords us.

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By espm400

Can you point to the part on the doll where the bad, bad internet touched you?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought Vinny meant it in terms of the internet offering a gathering place for the scummiest of scummy people.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I got my torch and pitchfork at the ready. Just give the word!

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Internet is reflective of true human nature. Anger, hate, resent, love, affection, benevolence, the extremes of all emotions and personalities show their colors here. /deep

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think you mean that the web is a bad place, and indeed it can be. But it is also the greatest human invention of the past century or so, precisely because it is so wide and diverse that you can see, hear, read and interact with the very best (and worst) that our race has cause to proffer unto this infinite digital city of knowledge/animated GIFs. There are always shady sides to any and every community/scene/thing, you just gotta try your best to stroll on by that stuff when you encounter it.

davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By davo

It's probably pretty easy for some people to act like assholes online when they know they're not going to get punched in the face in the safety of their own basement.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

First and foremost, I wish people would stop using the word "entitled" to mean everything and nothing at all. You're not "entitled" to the best DVD player? Why not? What does that even mean? If I'm buying a DVD player I'm "entitled" to whatever one I want, assuming I can afford it. That word has become nails on the chalkboard to me.

Back on topic, people need to be smarter about where and on what they spend their money. The internet isn't inherently bad, people get ripped off and lied to offline too. Everyone has a responsibility to be a little more savvy about sussing out truth form bullshit. Research products (include games) before you buy them. And for the love of god, stop the pre-ordering madness.

Shakey1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shakey1245

The internet is fine. People are the problem.