The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Tribunal

I don't know what to feel yet.

Game Informer has a piece up about it right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The wikipedia article on this series is actually surprisingly sparse. From the description, it sounds like a fantasy novel.

I mean, there's a chance the game could be good, no point in counting it out since it has only JUST been announced.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I dunno shit about this about Kingkiller Chronicles is a baaaaad name I think. Though Kingkiller Chronic is a great name for a rapper.

But uh, yeah, best of luck to this game and the books' fans.

The bard angle could actually be cool. We never get to play as traveling musicians in fantasy games.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Kvothe (main character in the series) is more of a jack of all trades. He's basically the best musician, wizard, thief, fighter, *insert character role here*, in the world.

Or as the world sees him, the books are written from the perspective of telling the story about him so we don't actually know if any of it is true. Rothfuss writes amazing prose and the books are great reads but Kvothe as the best of everything is a little drab.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'll believe it when I see it, otherwise it's on the same level as the Mistborn game that was announced like 3 years ago and hasn't been heard from since.

The books themselves are pretty good pulpy fantasy fare, though I wish Rothfuss would just get the third one out already.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@coverlesstech: ah damn that is not as interesting lol. Well... maybe works out better for a game where you create a class etc but now we really are just talking about another fantasy RPG and how on earth will this one separate itself from the pack..

That note you made about not knowing what is true reminds me very much of the last Call of Juarez game, where the story/events change under your feet as myth/reality crossover. Not many games do that at all, so, there's another cool angle I suppose. Not easy stuff though. Bit ambitious.

Does anyone know about Lionsgate videogame deals? Who do they work with to get that done?

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Tribunal

@CoverlessTech I think that's a bit of a reductive description of the character. He's not really the best fighter, but he's a decent thief (remember all of the times he got caught?). The thing about him is that he is a genius that can be perhaps unstable? My perspective on the character is that he can be a good guy and that he can also be a really bad guy, but we haven't gotten the finale to the trilogy. The thing is that he is very likeable and easy to root for, but the story is told from his perspective so of course he would be. What I'm unsure about this multimedia deal is that the books are extremely personal and complex in a way that doesn't seem compatible with video game storytelling. There are rare instances of violence in the books because it is so focused on Kvothe's personal growth and social struggles. Perhaps the closest story analog would be Dragon Age II with Hawke's rise in Kirkwall, minus most of the violence.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Tribunal

Oh and the books are fantastic. If you're looking for a new series to jump into, especially fantasy, the Kingkiller Chronicles are easily some the best books on the market. An incredibly innovative, fascinating, and all-around exemplary series of books.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GrizzledWolf

I'm pretty excited for this, but as with all other examples of books being adapted by different types of media, I can't help but feel that they will ruin it in some way. I'm trying to stay optimistic though.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

That's weird. I was just thinking about Name of the Wind the other day.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick Rothfuss actually goes into detail about the deals with these guys in his podcast with Max Temkin. Really interesting stuff.

lpug21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love the Kingkiller series - I've always described it as "Harry Potter, except if the main character wasn't such a bitch about his powers".