The most unnecessary video game character redesign?

• 131 results
GeoffPeterson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GJSmitty
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

@grant742: Ugh new Spyro looks SO bad.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By HadesTimes

Ohhh, I thought you were talking about Cole from Infamous, sorry... :)

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Gerhabio
Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dave_442
No Caption Provided

Though I don't really care, young Dante caused quite a stir.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By matthias2437

@grant742: I actually really agree with that. I LOVED the first 2 or 3 spyro games on the PS1. When I saw this new Spyro I seriously face-palmed. He looks so bad now.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeGosot
@Dave_442 said:

No Caption Provided

I think that the "New Dante" is better. I just think it's a horrible decision to redesign a classic character.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

On the other hand, I actually really liked the new Banjo-Kazooie

No Caption Provided

I fucking hate what they did to Yoshi, I liked it when he had stubby little T-rex arms, and mario rode him like a horse- not like he was getting a damn piggy-back ride...

After
After
No Caption Provided
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By ThePickle

@Dave_442 said:

No Caption Provided

This. I just think it's dumb they're rebooting DMC in the first place.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By benjaebe

In recent memory I'd say Ashley from Mass Effect. She looked totally fine in the first two games, I'm not sure why they felt the need to make her into some Miranda/Ashley hybrid for Mass Effect 3.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Dave_442 said:
No Caption Provided

It mainly  bothers me because the new dante looks to much like the head dev. 
peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By peacebrother

The Prince

Badass
Badass
What a toolbag
What a toolbag
BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BionicMonster
Nathan
Nathan "Rad" Spencer
Nathan
Nathan "Rad" Spencer

Whyyyyyyyyy!!!!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By recroulette

Probably Spyro

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lavapotamus

Wow, poor Spyro :(

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

@BionicMonster said:

Nathan
Nathan "Rad" Spencer
Nathan
Nathan "Rad" Spencer

Whyyyyyyyyy!!!!

This one is unforgivably egregious, but I just entered the code for the original design and had a fucking blast with that game, so I don't mind as much.

This one always seemed a bit odd, giving sonic beady little eyes and making him smirk a little more. Also his hands and feet get too big and shiny:

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King

How the hell has nobody said Mario? Since when were his pants blue? Go back to the red that I know and love, Nintendo!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InternetDotCom
360 box art (cropped)
360 box art (cropped)

Isn't this the answer?

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UnrealDP

@grant742: @Unknown_Pleasures@RecSpec: @Lavapotamus: How can you not love new Spyro? HOW?!?! I may not have a ton of prior experience when it comes to Spyro and his video games, but new Spyro is so goddamn adorable and amazing!

Now why does he look so adorable....
Now why does he look so adorable....
Notice any similarities? HUH?
Notice any similarities? HUH?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

@GorillaMoPena: Okay, you win this thread. I totally forgot about that one. I guess it hasn't been brought up previously because... who cares about Bomberman anymore?

Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bonsai
@GorillaMoPena said:
360 box art (cropped)
360 box art (cropped)

Isn't this the answer?

I was going to be shocked if nobody had brought this up.
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Ethan Thomas between Condemned's 1 & 2. Hell, Condemned 2 was unnecessary period.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By crusader8463

Everything in Dragon Age 2.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UnrealDP

@crusader8463: I don't know, i thought the dark spawn looked a lot cooler and less generic. The dark spawn in DA:O were generic LOTR orcs...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I seem to be a lot less bothered by character redesigns than most people, but I think by far the worst redesign was the Act:Zero Bomberman, everything else absolutely pales in comparison to that atrocity.

Michaelblack18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Michaelblack18

Am i one of the few who liked the original new design for cole for infamous2? i mean been hiding out for a while leting him get looking more grizzled and haired made sense being on the run makes completes sense,no idea why it got such a shit storm for it

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to post images. What is supposed to be here is a FO1 BOS power armor versus FO3's BOS power armor. It's not supposed to be the same armor but I think that's a retcon made by New Vegas. Also, Zero Suit Samus. I don't like the sexualization of Samus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

Ethan Thomas between Condemned's 1 & 2. Hell, Condemned 2 was unnecessary period.

I was coming in here to say exactly that. Condemned 2 feels like it came from completely different people it's such a radical departure in ethos.

Away from video games, I think the art change from the X-Men Animated Series Beast to the cat-like Astonishing X-Men Beast was poorly executed.

@crusader8463: I got to disagree with you there. The changes they made to elves and qunari make them actually look like other races and not just short pointy eared guy and tall brown guy. The changes to the darkspawn I can take or leave, I miss the glassy fish-eye look they had from the first one, but I feel like their twisted, blackened bodies are a lot closer to how they're described in the novels. Dragons and demons are pretty much all identical to the first one.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By AngelN7

New Dante by far , Old Dante was and still is cool ... Dammit Capcom

No Caption Provided
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crusader8463

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463: I don't know, i thought the dark spawn looked a lot cooler and less generic. The dark spawn in DA:O were generic LOTR orcs...

As apposed to generic pale goblins in DA2?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#32  Edited By Yummylee

Oh Crash *sheds a tear for the fallen*

I can't think of anything predominantly bad, though what does spring to mind is Elena between Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 3. It's not like she looks bad or anything, but I prefer her ''classic'' look over her more Asian features for Uncharted 3. I think it was primarily because both Elena and Nate were based a little more off of Nolan and Emily this time around.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Dagbiker

@grant742 said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I love that redesign, he looks like he has downs syndrome.

Donkey Kong Arcade
Donkey Kong Arcade
No Caption Provided
UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By UnrealDP

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

Yeah totally! Those "generic" goblins actually made the dark spawn look unique. The fact that you had to use the adjective "pale" to describe them is a godsend compared to the originals which I could sum up as "orc".

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chrissedoff

@Dave_442 said:

No Caption Provided

that was the most necessary redesign. went from looking like every other stupid anime "badass" character design (HUUUGE air quotes around "badass") to looking pretty cool.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By Yummylee

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

Yeah totally! Those "generic" goblins actually made the dark spawn look unique. The fact that you had to use the adjective "pale" to describe them is a godsend compared to the originals which I could sum up as "orc".

I'll agree that the Emissaries had a much improved and appropriately creepy design during DA2, but the Hurlocks looked so goddamn silly. The original darkspawn design may of been as generic as they could possibly be, but at least they still appeared somewhat imposing and fearful, over the bondage-crazed Skeletor cosplayers.

desperado_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By desperado_

REALLY GUYS?

This...

Chris Redfield...
Chris Redfield...
Chris Refield on steroids...
Jill Valentine...
Jill Valentine...
....I don't even........
....I don't even........
UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By UnrealDP

@Abyssfull said:

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

I'll agree that the Emissaries had a much improved and appropriately creepy design during DA2, but the Hurlocks looked so goddamn silly. The original darkspawn design may of been as generic as they could possibly be, but at least they still appeared somewhat imposing and fearful, over the bondage-crazed Skeletor cosplayers.

Hmmm, I just thought they looked stylized, but I guess bondage-crazed Skeletor cosplayers is also an apt comparison....

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crusader8463

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

No.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By mosdl

@crusader8463 said:

Everything in Dragon Age 2.

You didn't like Flemeth's hot new body? But yeah, I didn't care for what they did to Leliana.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By UnrealDP

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

No.

I love this answer! Being constructive is so last season, I mean, why contribute to a conversation with a well thought out answer when you could simply give a single word reply! Seriously though, I really enjoy what they did with the dark spawn and the elves. They made them more alien and unique as opposed to "I'm like uh human, but I gots pointy ears!" or "Yeah, after they finished filming Return of the King they just mo-capped me in my orc makeup!"

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By crusader8463

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

No.

I love this answer! Being constructive is so last season, I mean, why contribute to a conversation with a well thought out answer when you could simply give a single word reply! Seriously though, I really enjoy what they did with the dark spawn and the elves. They made them more alien and unique as opposed to "I'm like uh human, but I gots pointy ears!" or "Yeah, after they finished filming Return of the King they just mo-capped me in my orc makeup!"

I had written a rather lengthy reply detailing why I disagreed with you, but after reading it over a few times I realized that it was just a long winded way for me to say no. So I just deleted it all and said no instead. No matter what I say you will just disagree, and then I will disagree with whatever you say until one of us gets bored and moves on. My opinion is that the art design of DA2 was bad on almost all accounts, and you disagree. No point in going beyond that. The Eleves new look kinda started to grow on me by the end of the game, but I still did not care for them changing everything for, what I saw as, no other reason than for the sake of changing it.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By UnrealDP

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

@crusader8463 said:

@UnrealDP said:

No.

I had written a rather lengthy reply detailing why I disagreed with you, but after reading it over a few times I realized that it was just a long winded way for me to say no. So I just deleted it all and said no instead. No matter what I say you will just disagree, and then I will disagree with whatever you say until one of us gets bored and moves on. My opinion is that the art design of DA2 was bad on almost all accounts, and you disagree. No point in going beyond that. The Eleves new look kinda started to grow on me by the end of the game, but I still did not care for them changing everything for, what I saw as, no other reason than for the sake of changing it.

Change for the sake of change? Dragon Age had the most unoriginal art style possible, so how is that unnecessary? Also that's still no excuse for simply writing "No." instead of something that could of at least taken a marginal amount of brain power. You are right in that this is going no where, so agree to disagree?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Animasta

getting angry at the darkspawn thing just reeks of not remembering what the OG darkspawn looked like, because they looked just as bad (in different ways)

I'd probably go with Flemeth though, that shit was terrible

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@chrissedoff: He looks like a beat up Justin Bieber.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bybeach

@desperado_ said:

REALLY GUYS?

This...

Chris Redfield...
Chris Redfield...
Jill Valentine...
Jill Valentine...
....I don't even........
....I don't even........

in don't know much about these charactors, but the first Jill looks decent to me. The second looks like she got that Fix-a-Flat treatment in each cheek.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By Dagbiker

Pac man

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By niamahai
@bybeach said:

@desperado_ said:

REALLY GUYS?

This...

Chris Redfield...
Chris Redfield...
Jill Valentine...
Jill Valentine...
....I don't even........
....I don't even........

in don't know much about these charactors, but the first Jill looks decent to me. The second looks like she got that Fix-a-Flat treatment in each cheek.

now you see, as video game character ages through every iteration, they get sexier.

Just like you and me.