The next XBox and media

bug9329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bug9329

I think the next XBox will have to include a proprietary flash-card format (yes, a cartridge) much like the Sony NGP will have and many Nintendo consoles have always had.   This is because the DVD format is already getting very tight for current-gen games and Microsoft would never license the Blu-Ray format from the Sony-led consortium.  The DVD player will still be in the next XBox for compatibility purposes and maybe even for new games, but publishers will have the option of this card format for releasing games.  An 8 GB flash card can be had for $7retail already and I think the 16 GB are close to dropping into that range soon as well. 

This is my speculation, at least.  We'll see.

bug9329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bug9329

I think the next XBox will have to include a proprietary flash-card format (yes, a cartridge) much like the Sony NGP will have and many Nintendo consoles have always had.   This is because the DVD format is already getting very tight for current-gen games and Microsoft would never license the Blu-Ray format from the Sony-led consortium.  The DVD player will still be in the next XBox for compatibility purposes and maybe even for new games, but publishers will have the option of this card format for releasing games.  An 8 GB flash card can be had for $7retail already and I think the 16 GB are close to dropping into that range soon as well. 

This is my speculation, at least.  We'll see.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Or they can release all their consoles with 250GB.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Flash memory is still way more expensive than disks. Not to mention that developing a propitiatory format would likely cost far more than licensing an existing format. I think it'll most likely use Blu-ray. It's too early for non disk based media, and I don't see them going with anything other than the dominant media format. I don't think Microsoft will have any problems with licensing it from the Blu-ray disk association. While Sony does have a finger in that pie, Sony is a big company, and it's not like they're giving money directly to SCE. Microsoft probably don't see Sony as rivals, they'll see SCE as rivals, which is a small department within a much larger company. MS will be far more worried about having a dominant console next generation, and not who get's the money from licensing agreements.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

The bigger question is if Xbox 3 will have BD.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

I think they'll probably push the digital stuff, but still license blu-ray to play it safe.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Vao

I can't see them licensing Blu-Ray but they could modify the already existing tech of HD DVD, which has the large amount of storage on a solid (though dead) Tech. Would be considered MS own propitiatory format and they wouldn't have to invent a new format or pay for the license.  They would need to rebrand to leave behind the "Format Warz".

edit, second thought, they might just go Blu-ray just to still keep the idea of being an All-in-one media system. 
Just a thought. 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vonocourt
@bug9329 said:

"  ...Microsoft would never license the Blu-Ray format from the Sony-led consortium... "

Why not? Toshiba, who had a much larger hand in HD-DVD, has been making Blu-ray players for a while now. Or is it just because they would have to pay licensing fees to their video game rival? Well they already are with the DVD format.
thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thaijedi
@Vao said:
" I can't see them licensing Blu-Ray but they could modify the already existing tech of HD DVD, which has the large amount of storage on a solid (though dead) Tech. Would be considered MS own propitiatory format and they wouldn't have to invent a new format or pay for the license.  They would need to rebrand to leave behind the "Format Warz".  Just a thought.  "
interesting thought.....
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy

Who knows how far disc storage will have come when the next consoles arrive. Blu-Ray was developed a couple years prior to 2006 so you'd bet your asses that by the time the next consoles come, digital storage would have underwent a lot of developments. 

The question though is the price... it may be more in Microsofts interest (AKA cheaper) to modify the current system, or even use Blu-Ray, rather then expand into a new market like the cartridges you're thinking of. However with 3DS cartridges fitting around 2 GB (and that number will likely increase with time, just like the DS) I can easily see a larger cartridge fitting around 10 GB in a few years. Hell you can right now buy tiny Micro SDs that are 2 GB. Just think, 5 of them. And barely any games (save for some PS3 games and some multiple disc 360 games) exceed 10 GB as of right now.

bug9329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bug9329
@Vonocourt: I think Microsoft would have already licensed Blu-Ray if this were the case.  I think they are philosophically against it and don't want to pay $1 or whatever for each XBox sold to the Blu-Ray consortium.  That said, I can see the possibility of them buying into BD-ROM only and not supporting BD video.   Unlikely, though.
bug9329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bug9329
@MattyFTM: Flash is expensive, but coming down in price quickly and Microsoft has shown how dead-set against Blu-ray they are (just like Apple, BTW).   "Prop" flash formats may not be hard to do considering Sony and Nintendo are doing it and that SD cards have some kind of DRM built-in.   I think they could make a slight change to SD cards to make them incompatible and therefore good for "cartridge" use.   Anyway,  I came up with this while trying to think of what Microsoft might do if they stuck to their anti-Blu-Ray guns and this is what I came up with. :) 
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@bug9329: When have MS ever said they were dead set against blu-ray?
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mrfizzy

ugh your all fools! Dont you understand that it doesnt matter what the next Xbox has?! The Dreamcast 2 is going to bring back HD DVD so thats all thats going to matter!

Zaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zaft
@bug9329 said:
" @MattyFTM: Many times, actually:       

http://gizmodo.com/#!5645716/microsoft-blu+ray-is-going-to-be-passed-by-as-a-format

http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/1/microsoft-blu-ray-never-coming-to-xbox-360-msft   
http://www.toptechreviews.net/games/microsoft-blu-ray-is-not-the-future-of-home-entertainment/ "
I still wouldn't doubt they'll end up using Blu-Ray. It's the industry standard now (for home entertainment), and it would be foolish not too. Besides, what companies say and what companies do (especially MS) are generally not very related.
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vonocourt
@bug9329 said:
" @MattyFTM: Many times, actually:       

http://gizmodo.com/#!5645716/microsoft-blu+ray-is-going-to-be-passed-by-as-a-format

http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/1/microsoft-blu-ray-never-coming-to-xbox-360-msft   
http://www.toptechreviews.net/games/microsoft-blu-ray-is-not-the-future-of-home-entertainment/ "
Besides the "well we don't think" talk that doesn't hold much weight, all those things confirm is no blu-ray on the 360. Judging by the perfomance of the HD-DVD drive, it probably won't be much use to have a seperate peripheral release when BD players have been cheap for a while.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says

umm....I like the idea of digital but people out there still ain't all connected to the internet. The next console will have a physical format, lets be real here for a sec.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

i think that they are going to be using blu-ray. it's what is going to be the new thing to own. i think they might even have digital but i'm not to fond of digital on consoles. you don't really know what is going to happen with consoles in the future.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By coryrx8

Microsoft will end up using Blu-Ray. First of all, licensing technology from someone you compete with in other markets isn't exactly uncommon. Sony licenses Windows to run on their PCs after all. There are plenty of other examples, like Toshiba and Sony competing head-to-head in the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray format war while jointly developing Cell with IBM. A second reason why MS will license Blu-Ray is because it will take a competitive advantage away from Sony next gen.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By blackbird415

blu-ray will not be used because it is a sony based product. There is a clear cut conflict of interest when considering the playstation versus xbox360. This was a clear tactic of sony when looking at their product lineup. What they didnt quite expect is the big move to digital download services. This is apparent when considering they're release of psp and they're failed format of umd. 

If microsoft will move to any front it will be a serious digital based system with online with a good chance of some proprietary dvd/hd-dvd disc based system for disc retail games considering the stronghold retailers have over the video game economy as of yet in order to sell consoles. 

Microsoft will build off of their zune service of media with the already digital game service and push for digital download more even now the dedication to online game download is shown with the current XBLA and full xbox360 download services.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Tordah

If they don't use Blu-Ray I think they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Grumbel

I'd say they'll definitvly include Bluray. With the Xbox360 they went for HD-DVD, but now that Bluray has without a doubt won the race, its kind of a must-have for a new multimedia device and the main reason for not adding it to the Xbox360 was probably just price and that they wouldn't be able to use it for games.

Online downloads surely will advance and HDDs are big enough, but broadband is still not widespread enough that you'd want to force everybody to download 25GB through their 2mbit pipe. Flash still seems far to expensive to give you the 100GB or so that a multilayer Bluray could. They could of course go with something completly proprietary or recycle HD-DVD, but normally it should be far cheaper to go with established tech then to develop something from scratch.