The Weekly Wiki Update - Sunday, Nov. 2 2014

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Edited By bobafettjm

Hello all and welcome to another edition of the Weekly Wiki Update.

The Pages

So after last weeks edition I decided to start digging back in to some Game Boy Color games. I started the week off with cleaning up and adding some stuff on the All-Star Baseball 2000 page. I also tried to fill in all of the credits but was met with a bug and lost close to 40 minutes worth of them so I decided to just move on.

Then for some reason I decided to jump on the page for the game Street Sk8er and did a small amount of work on that, despite saying to myself I was going to work on the Game Boy Color games.

Next up was actually a Game Boy Color game. I did as much work as I possibly could on the Barcode Taisen Bardigun page, but not knowing Japanese or owning the barcode scanner the game uses, it wasn't too much.

The first page that I spent a pretty decent amount of time on was the page for Bomberman Quest. I actually had quite a bit of fun playing this game so I decided I would try and fill out a page for it. I even managed to get the credits done for this one without getting an error.

After a bunch of random small edits to games I added a small gameplay section to Dragon Dance, but it wasn't too much. I also ended up adding a small amount of content to the otherwise completely empty Game Boy Wars 2 page, which surprised me.

On another tangent I ended up somehow running across the concept page for Jiang Shi and added a section about the two Ragnarok Online enemies that are based on it.

Another page I put a decent amount of time into was another Game Boy Color game called Hexcite.

From there I ended up shifting my focus yet again, which I am prone to do. On Saturday I ended up picking up about 40 PlayStation 2 games. I decided to check out the Giant Bomb pages for some of these games and ended up finding a bunch of empty pages. I ended up filling in basic information and an overview for a handful of these games.

And the final page I worked on was filling out the Hot Shots Golf 3 page which was all but a barren wasteland when I found it. This one really surprised me since I thought Hot Shots Golf was a popular enough series that someone would have filled it out.

Closing

So that is it for this week, which was a much more productive week than the last few were. I still am finding myself getting more and more frustrated by the fact that there is such a small amount of people doing any real work on the wiki. I will regularly see a page I worked on hours ago still be the most recent edited page, and when I do see someone else working on them it is always the same handful of other dedicated folks. I am not sure if there is some way to incentivize people to start doing it, or if there should be some kind of content from the staff once in a while spotlighting the wiki in some way, or maybe even have them call out "bounties" or something in a video?

I am also getting frustrated with the lack of input on a lot of different topics that come up about the wiki. Sometimes threads sit without answers forever, or some for a very long time. I feel like the wiki is really not something people care about.

Besides all of that nonsense I would love to hear what all of your thoughts are and what you have been working on.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Holy moly 40 PS2 games?

That's quite a haul dude, what did you get?

re:wiki- I didn't do anything. I've got my hands full at work

re:bounties - sure why not? Trying something is better than nothing. I know bounties back in the ole quest days got me to fill some pages.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Yep, the small handful of people working on the wiki never stops being disappointing. Also, the weird errors that have been popping up are pretty annoying too.

Also, you reminded me: I still haven't even received a reply from my request to combine Tyrian and Tyrian 2000 from...almost four years ago.

A concept that I'd like some help finding examples of before I create it is 'Gravity-Defying Water'. An example is from Mega Man 6:

Loading Video...

I have also seen it in Ecco: Tides of Time and I believe it is in Super Mario 3D World. Also, apparently RosenkreuzStilette. I'm certain there are others.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Interesting subject matter in that combine thread considering recent topics. I also know that I have seen that concept in other games as well, but for some reason examples of which escape me right now which happens to me a lot when thinking of games to add to concepts.

@slag: I ended up getting:

• Hot Shots Golf 3
  • Cabela's Deer Hunt 2005 Season
  • Nitrobike
  • Test Drive Unlimited
  • Guitar Hero World Tour
  • Nicktoons: Attack of the Toybots
  • ESPN X Games Skateboarding
  • Sims 2 Castaway
  • MLB 10 The Show
  • The King of Fighters XI
  • TNA Impact
  • WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010
  • AC/DC Live Rock Band
  • NBA 2K11
  • Disney Sing It
  • The Naked Brothers Band: The Video Game
  • Disney's High School Musical 3: Senior Year Dance!
  • NCAA Football 06
  • Brunswick Pro Bowling
  • FIFA Soccer 11
  • Puzzle Challenge: Crosswords and More!
  • Call of Duty: World at War Final Fronts
  • Bakugan Battle Brawlers
  • Medal of Honor: European Assault
  • Torino 2006
  • Meet the Robinsons
  • SeaWorld Shamu's Deep Sea Adventures
  • True Crime: Streets of LA
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  • Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings
  • Avatar the Last Airbender: The Burning Earth
  • WTA Tour Tennis
  • Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  • Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
  • The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
  • Disney's Stitch Experiment 626
  • Cars
  • Out of the Chute

And all of those were $1 each, some of them still sealed. Those are also added on to the 340 some odd PS2 games I already have.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Interesting subject matter in that combine thread considering recent topics.

I assume you're talking about Super Smash Bros.?

Also, that is a wild assortment of games o_o

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Yeah, and I plan on making sure some of these get fleshed out pages. I would go through all these manuals and add the credits, but me and credits are kind of on the outs right now.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobafettjm: You got some good ones in there man.

dunno if you've ever played it but SC:Chaos Theory is quite the game.

Are you collecting? Or do you intend to play all of those?

That's a quite a haul man for 40 bucks too. That right there is why I have hard time buying new games at release these days. They depreciate so fast and are generally available for a long time...

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I am a collector. I have everything from the Atari 2600 on up to the PS4. I have an entire room in my house dedicated to video games, even a couple of full size arcade cabinets. I even have a wife that approves of it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Yeah, and I plan on making sure some of these get fleshed out pages. I would go through all these manuals and add the credits, but me and credits are kind of on the outs right now.

It's definitely a good idea to save your edits every now and then when entering in a lot of info. I have had a lot of similar experiences :|

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bobafettjm

@beachthunder: The problem is that there really isn't a way to copy/paste credits. I always copy the body of a page when editing it just in case that happens, but with credits I get into a groove and forget to save it often and I lose all of it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I am a collector. I have everything from the Atari 2600 on up to the PS4. I have an entire room in my house dedicated to video games, even a couple of full size arcade cabinets. I even have a wife that approves of it.

nice man, she's a keeper! Happy collecting!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Man, that really sucks about the credits. I know what that's like and, for me personally, it makes for a good excuse to put any and all wiki editing on hold for a short while... can be a real gut punch sometimes. I think it's great how you're editing so many obscure games anywhoo, most of which I haven't even heard of!

Can't think of anything major I've done this week, mostly smaller stuff like fixing page formatting, or more recurrently is me removing all of the second person language from pages... Still surprising to see how much of that is out there in the wiki even after all these years. Continuing to work on the Resident Evil: Revelations 2 page at least, scouring for any new information I can find on it, both for my own interest and to then write it out on the page :P

Regarding your closing segment, I'd like to think my thoughts on the matter are already well known. Basically, I agree, the wiki doesn't really get the amount of support, nor even the acknowledgement, it deserves from the staff and that really bloody sucks to see. I recently posted a short rant regarding how the staff won't even bother to fill in the basic details for video game pages they create. Instead they're very clearly only making the page as somewhere to dump the latest QL or article or what have you, and then they just leave it at that. Honestly it can be outright infuriating to see sometimes, because they should be the ones setting the example; when even the staff (besides Jeff, who does his part... here and there) don't seem to give a single shit then how you can expect the vast majority of the community to give one, either?

On a more positive note, I stumbled upon the Clock Tower 3 page which is rather nicely filled in. That, and I've noticed @bigjeffrey has been doing a lot of editing lately, which is great to see. Though that also brings me to cast a cloud over all this again :P, as it seems that @hailinel has decided to move on from the site -- whether it's temporary or not I don't know. But if not, that's another dedicated wiki editor gone... right alongside @video_game_king. Weird to look at the 'Top Posters' list and notice how four of them are inactive on the site...

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Those two not contributing is a big loss as well. Without @hailinel who will fill in the pages for all these Japanese games/characters/concepts I know nothing about?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, another thing, should we ever use the term "computer game" to refer to PC specific games? Or should they always be referred to as video games?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: I would assume they would still be video games, but does anyone else have some input?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobafettjm: @beachthunder: fwiw imo, "computer game" is an anachronism to denote a platform. Back in the day a lot of people used to say "Nintendo Game" or "Atarii Game" etc. For awhile "Nintendo" was nearly synonymous for all video games like Coke is for Soda Pop in the south.

There also used to be a greater divide in what it meant stylistically and mechanically to be a console game vs a PC game due to hardware and controls differences (Keyboard vs Controllers).

But when you get right down to it, they are the same type of media just played on different hardware.

long story short, they are video games.

fwiw I'd consider browser games, Tiger Electronics, Mobile iOS and perhaps even Video trivia to be Video Games as well.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I actually wish we had a platform for the Tiger Electronic handhelds. I think those are interesting and were even made based on a lot of existing video game franchises.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Fair enough.

@bobafettjm: I wish we had something for 'dumb phone' games - if only because that would mean Snake could have its own wiki page.