The "Would you buy a VR headset now?" Poll!

• 108 results
Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Itwastuesday

Poll The "Would you buy a VR headset now?" Poll! (631 votes)

Yes 51%
No 48%

The people who have gone to E3 seem to be talking the most about VR. At home, I saw people were either annoyed by this or were excited by the potential.

I wanted to see how many people were convinced by all the hype for this technology, and how many people still don't care!

What do you guys think so far? Is VR here to stay as an entertainment device? Will people be thrilled by it temporarily before their Oculus beings collecting dust? Will the market implode? Will it transform our world and the way we do everything? Is our dystopian nightmare future promised to us in Neuromancer and Snow Crash finally here?

• 
MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've dreamed of VR for fricken EVER. I want it so much.

All the experiences that will be available just boggles the mind. I mean, stuff like Playstation Home might ACTUALLY be cool. Graphics and tech has come a long way since PS home, and VR is kinda perfect for it. I wouldn't mind just playing minigames with random dudes in VR. Log into the Atari room and play Pac Man on a virtual cocktail table or whatnot.

Or, you know, formation flying in DCS with a level of imersion that just mmmmMMMM!!!!! hnnng!! Or just chilling on the ISS watching youtube vids and chatting with my pals Virtual Neil and Virtual Buzz about the moon landing.

The fact that the toybox seems to have been a great success, just continued development of that thing would be plenty for me to buy in right now. Just a steady stream of doohickeys and whatnot to noodle around with, bring it. I'll join an impromptu space ping pong tournament any day. The free form multiplayer aspect of that thing sounds great.

It's happening you guys! JACK IN!

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Viqor

It's not so much theoretical for me since I bought both the Oculus DK1 and DK2 and plan to get the consumer version when it comes out, although I agree with a lot of people that bespoke software is what is needed to sell these things. I've had a lot of fun messing around with demos, but tech demos are not enough to sell VR to your average consumer or even enthusiasts. We still haven't seen a big, meaty experience that can only be achieved in VR. The closest I've seen is Elite Dangerous, which is greatly enhanced by VR, but It's far from essential, although I don't like playing without it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The controllers Oculus were showing off at E3 along with the improvements in the Rift looked really impressive, I'm still leaning towards the Vive at the moment, hopefully they copy some of the finger triggers for the Valve controllers.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's interesting technology. If using it for games on PC eventually becomes affordable and useful besides gimmicky spectacle I'm certainly not opposed to buying it. Right now I don't see good evidence for that being the case in the near future.

The general hype concerning how trippy and profound VR is supposed to be amuses me and serves as rock-solid entertainment but I'm not hearing anything that actually convinces me it's any different than all the hot air before it. Some of the early fans are trustworthy enough to compel me to give it a shot should the opportunity arise though.

VR really isn't a thing I've desperately awaited coming to fruition. It might still turn out be something I didn't know I wanted before I tried it. But I'll need a better sale than the usual blathering I just perceive as commonplace marketing for even very mediocre products by now.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm sure I'll have one eventually but I'll probably get in on the second or third wave. Not at launch.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm totally excited by the technology and the potential/future that it holds. Its exciting to see that its starting to come together in something that is real and works.

Do I want to buy one now? No. If I am going to use it for gaming, I want to see the execution from a full platform perspective. I'd like to see what a full game feels like and looks like. I want to test it out with my own hands and eyes first.

Then again, when it comes to gaming consoles so to speak, I've never been a first day adopter. Its coming and I'm excited, but I I'll wait for the base to be more solidified first.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I just want to get my hands on something and try it myself. I get motion sick fairly easily, so that's my biggest concern.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure VR is here to stay and I can think of it having amazing uses outside of gaming, but it's currently too expensive as a peripheral for me to purchase. Maybe one day.

foeaminute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm definitely on the side of "NOW PLEASE OH GOD GIMME NOW", but I can't help but feel that the people who are saying "VR doesn't appeal to me" would have been the stalwarts crowding around their radios grumbling about not needing "them stupid picture boxes that all the kids have".

beverages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sold once sports broadcasting gets in on the VR train.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

If I had a new PC and a PS4 already, then totally! Even if there weren't a ton of games that supported it in the future, I'd get more than enough use out of it with stuff like Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, or SUPERHOT (if that thing even supports it).

I didn't give a fuuuuuuuuuck about HoloLens when it was announced, but I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed by it after this E3. I wouldn't get it over a VR headset just yet, but it's definitely got my attention.