Thinking of buying a projector for gaming

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I'm thinking of buying a projector or a 60in LED TV. Recently I'm leaning towards the projector because I think it would be cool to have a really big display. Does anybody have experience/thoughts on projectors for gaming? One model I've looked into is the optoma gt1080.

Stats:

1080p

2800 lumens

25k:1 contrast ratio

A low latency advertised as something like 16msec, but measured by a couple of reviewers as 33ms.

Thoughts? Experience? Advice?

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By spyder335

I bought a real cheap one a few years ago couldnt tell you the specs, but my one piece of advice would be if you can see how it goes in varying light levels. The one I have the room essentially has to be pitch black for it to look good even a moderately low amount of light makes it barely functional.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Have Optoma fixed the rainbow effect on their cheap projectors yet? I had one for about a month before it became unbearable to watch and sold it. Would definitely recommend you see one before buying or get from a place with good returns policy.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in this topic as well.

I was thinking about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LTMPOUO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3G3NM8L03TZ6H&coliid=I15ZXZY8BKKU2S

BenQ HT-series HT1075

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@meptron: i would go with the 60" LED TV, the problem with projectors is that they'll wear out after some time, unlike your TV which can last years.

Maybe get an used older one for cheap and see how you like it before committing to a high-end expensive one.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my friends had a projector setup in his basement for games and it was dope. It just felt like a home theater exclusively for video games. Although he was somewhat wealthy, so he was able to deck the place out with awesome surround sound and great seating. If you have the money, go for it!

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I bought a projector in 2007 and had it until 2009. It is awesome to have a massive screen, especially with good surround sound and Yamaha prescense speakers to give the sound more hight. However the lamp is costly and needs to be replaced after a few thousand hours. You also need it pitch black and I got tired of always having my living room so dark in order to play games, it felt like I was living in a basement. I had an LCD projector but DLP seems more common and cheaper but some people have problems with seing the rainbow effect with DLP.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You'll need to be gaming in a pitch black environment. It's nice in a basement, but in a living room? You'll need curtains to segment the living room from other rooms.

Those bulbs are pricey and eat up power. Look up replacement bulbs for that projector before you dive in; they don't last very long. Even less if you accidentally touch the bulb.

You may also want to build a screen. Small imperfections in your wall stand out like a sore thumb.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I wouldn't. Just get a decent TV, and add some decent speakers.

DippedPretzels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe get an used older one for cheap and see how you like it before committing to a high-end expensive one.

This might be a good idea. I got a used 1080p Optoma HD20 off ebay (they go for around $200-$300) and I found I prefer playing on screens closer to me.

I love the projector, but a large TV is generally more flexible. If I want to use the projector, I have unroll the screen, move the projector, focus the image, block out light, ect. This depends on your setup obviously.

@zelyre said:

You may also want to build a screen. Small imperfections in your wall stand out like a sore thumb.

This as well. There are many step-by-step instructions online on how to build a cheap screen.

The rainbow effect, for me, only happens when I move my eyes quickly off the screen. Some people, even when I point it out, don't notice it.

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

DippedPretzels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vampire_chibi: Yes, but it depends what you're looking for. There are some great projectors that can be had new for $300-$400, but they are usually SVGA or XGA. The really inexpensive projectors (less than $100) typically output less than 200 lumen.

Like others said, getting the projector you like, then returning it if you aren't satisfied is another route.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would wait until bulbless projectors become more affordable. Replacing bulbs is gonna be a massive money sink that, to me, make the technology unfeasible.