This? AGAIN?! Videogames and Stereotypes.

• 61 results
Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Godak

About a week (or two?) ago, one of my group mates in my Communications class mentioned something about those videogames and their tendency to desensitize and murderize those who played them. I mentioned that I was an avid gamer, and started talking about how individuals of a certain age can distinguish from fantasy and reality, etc, etc...It became obvious within five minutes or so that he'd rather me carve out another anus in his face than continue the current conversation.

(No, he didn't say murderize. That's not the point, people.)

The point is that people still believe that videogames have some sort of mind-altering, brain-obliterating effect on the people who play them. Who is perpetuating this belief? Are there roving bands of of stay-at-home mothers who burn and pillage the citizenry if they refuse to say bad things about videogames? I don't get it. Maybe I never will, but...it just strikes me as strange to make such wild claims when MILLIONS of people play videogames, and have yet to turn into ravenous Nazi-zombie-dragon fairy-men who commit assault, rape, and other acts that are generally frowned upon.

Anyway, I'm creating this for two reasons.

Uno! Have you ever been stereotyped by someone after you have mentioned that you play videogames?

Dos! Have you experienced a situation where people have badmouthed gamers/videogames out of ignorance and misunderstanding?

Tres (yeah, THREE reasons, bitch)! How do we, the gamers, go about showing people that gaming is more than violently beheading assholes who shoot/stab/crotch thrust at you?

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Godak

About a week (or two?) ago, one of my group mates in my Communications class mentioned something about those videogames and their tendency to desensitize and murderize those who played them. I mentioned that I was an avid gamer, and started talking about how individuals of a certain age can distinguish from fantasy and reality, etc, etc...It became obvious within five minutes or so that he'd rather me carve out another anus in his face than continue the current conversation.

(No, he didn't say murderize. That's not the point, people.)

The point is that people still believe that videogames have some sort of mind-altering, brain-obliterating effect on the people who play them. Who is perpetuating this belief? Are there roving bands of of stay-at-home mothers who burn and pillage the citizenry if they refuse to say bad things about videogames? I don't get it. Maybe I never will, but...it just strikes me as strange to make such wild claims when MILLIONS of people play videogames, and have yet to turn into ravenous Nazi-zombie-dragon fairy-men who commit assault, rape, and other acts that are generally frowned upon.

Anyway, I'm creating this for two reasons.

Uno! Have you ever been stereotyped by someone after you have mentioned that you play videogames?

Dos! Have you experienced a situation where people have badmouthed gamers/videogames out of ignorance and misunderstanding?

Tres (yeah, THREE reasons, bitch)! How do we, the gamers, go about showing people that gaming is more than violently beheading assholes who shoot/stab/crotch thrust at you?

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gahzoo

INB4 Fox news

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

There's no sure-fire way of changing people's opinions of gamers. I think we should ignore the ignorant bastards anyway.

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Godak
@Axxol said:
" There's no sure-fire way of changing people's opinions of gamers. I think we should ignore the ignorant bastards anyway. "
Ignorance is just that: the state of being uniformed, and lacking knowledge. Should we not try to educate people? They may not be stereotyping out of malice. They may simply not know any better.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By McGhee

Nobody stereotypes me. If they do, I stab 'em in the face.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jayjonesjunior
@Gahzoo: what can i say?
NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NathanStack

Allow me to quote Cheryl Olson from the journal of Applied Developmental Sciences: "  As yet, there are no studies linking violent video games to real-world crime." 

Do a little research and you'll find that there has NEVER been a credible study linking violent entertainment (movies, TV, video games, etc...) with real-life violent behavior, especially among young people. Most people continue to believe there is some sort of link because they heard it from a news pundit or someone like Jack Thompson, who heard it from some one else, who heard it from someone else, ad nauseam. 

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Samaritan

Yo people are and always will be kind of stupid and gullible? 

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lifestrike
Videogames do change how we perceive certain events, anyone who denies that is just lying to themselves. Does it influence (sometimes directly triggering) some people to go on rampages? Yes, it does.  Not most of us, but some people.

The simple truth is a lot of people who should not be playing video games are, and most people in the VG industry are too busy defending their games to concede that point.  I love lots of violent video games, but it's getting insane. Video game players are getting younger and younger, and games are getting more and more graphic. It's stupid for us to ignore and endlessly deny how dangerous that is.

And no, you can't just use the fucking "Oh its the parent's responsibility" argument. That doesn't fucking work, because nothing short of social isolation will stop your child from playing video games. And thank god, because video games are awesome.

It's a really difficult situation, because many of these graphic videogames are really great, and tons of people bust their ass to bring them to us. But everything influences a child. Playing with a god damned beach ball influences a child. So it's balls out retardation to assert that killing scores of soldiers won't.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Subjugation

Video games will be the devil until something new comes along to fill their place. They filled the spot of Rock and Roll, just as Rock and Roll filled the spot of books.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BraveToaster
@Godak said:
" @Axxol said:
" There's no sure-fire way of changing people's opinions of gamers. I think we should ignore the ignorant bastards anyway. "
Ignorance is just that: the state of being uniformed, and lacking knowledge. Should we not try to educate people? They may not be stereotyping out of malice. They may simply not know any better. "
Or maybe they simply don't give a shit and don't want to be "educated".  
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people will always be stupid.  the "video gamer" stereotype is stupid like most stereotypes.  i disagree with the "gamer' stereotype because u guys/gals are generally normal and fine (even though ive met none of u in real life...)  stereotypes are ignorant and are for ignorant people that judge a person by their race.  for example, asian people tend to judge me because im Japanese.  i know this one dude that just gets on my nerves (stopped hanging out with him because he's an obnoxious prick.)  whenever i do something douche-y he suggests it has to do with my race.  yeah hes Korean so he may have something against me (i dunno this kind of thought never occurs to me) but i act that way because that's part of my personality, not my race.  talk shit about me all you want but please dont say stuff about my race which includes all my blood related family.  

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

stereotypes are everywhere, deal with it, and the gamer stereotype isn't even that bad comparatively.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Commisar123
@Godak said:
Tres (yeah, THREE reasons, bitch)! How do we, the gamers, go about showing people that gaming is more than violently beheading assholes who shoot/stab/crotch thrust at you? "

It is?  Cool i've been missing out
jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jaymorgoth

As with any medium it takes time before it becomes an acceptable thing. Give it ten or twenty years and all of us playing video games will be old enough to take positions in office, own corporations, etc and it will just be like any other medium.  Acceptance comes with time as more and more people play games and then grow up and join in shaping society. Then the gamers make the decisions and all this is in the past. 

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By benjaebe
@Lifestrike said:
Video game players are getting younger and younger.
No, that's not true at all. The average age of a video game player is 34 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@Laketown said:
"stereotypes are everywhere, deal with it, and the gamer stereotype isn't even that bad comparatively. "

I would say the nerd stereotype(which is semi mixed with the gamer one) is one of the worst.
ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ashogo
@Godak said:
"How do we, the gamers, go about showing people that gaming is more than violently beheading assholes who shoot/stab/crotch thrust at you? "
Maybe wait for there to be less games made that involve violently beheading assholes who shoot/stab/crotch thrust at you?

Honestly, it is an ignorant stereotype but it's not all that wrongheaded. There's a huge glut of video games that focus on dismembering your enemies in the most violent way possible. It's far from unfounded.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By benjaebe
@ashogo said:
" @Godak said:
"How do we, the gamers, go about showing people that gaming is more than violently beheading assholes who shoot/stab/crotch thrust at you? "
Maybe wait for there to be less games made that involve violently beheading assholes who shoot/stab/crotch thrust at you?Honestly, it is an ignorant stereotype but it's not all that wrongheaded. There's a huge glut of video games that focus on dismembering your enemies in the most violent way possible. It's far from unfounded. "
I wouldn't call it a huge glut considering that about 80-something percent of games sold are rated under E, E10+ or Teen, there isn't even a significant portion of games that are overly violent. It's just because the really violent ones get the most attention, whether it be positive or negative.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Three0neFive

who gives a shit, people who identify themselves as "gamers" are tools who any sane person wouldn't anything to do with

Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OppressiveStink
@Lifestrike: 
Facts: do you know them?

The average gamer is 34 years old.  Female gamers ages 18 and up represent about 13% more than gamers younger than 17 years of age.   So your statement of gamers getting "Younger and younger" is plain ol' untrue.   http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

Games are getting more and more graphic?  To be honest, I find this argument a little disingenuous.  The most violent games of this generation are arguably Fallout 3, Gears of War and Mortal Kombat(which the most violent, and recent has not been released yet).  None of these hold a candle to wanton violence of arcade games made in the mid 80's and 90s.  These games didn't even have really a reason or plot device for the violence games like Chiller(http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7328) were violent for the sake of violence.  The only thing that's changed is the graphical fidelity and that isn't any worse than your average Cannibal Corpse ablum cover(http://sleevage.com/cannibal-corpse-uncensored-covers/) or classical painting(http://emptyeasel.com/2007/06/06/francisco-goya-paintings-from-the-famous-spanish-artist/).

That being said, we can present some anecdotal evidence against violent video games and movies just in the last 30 years.  I grew up on violent media, so did the majority of Giant Bombers I'm willing to believe.  I'm also old enough to remember that video games didn't always have ratings and the movie industry didn't even bother enforce theirs.  I also must remind you that the last 30 years of media includes real gems like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Aliens, Splatterhouse and Phantasmagoria.  You don't see our generation creating bedlam with nearly three decades of violent media crammed into our heads.

In fact, violent crime has gone down considerably since the invention of video games (and violent video games).  Here comes the proof!:  http://www.stateoftheusa.org/content/fbi-report-violent-crime-down.php 

Hell, Penn & Teller did a pretty good episode of BULLSH!T on this, I recommend you watch it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlSIqJpXI5A 

What it comes down to is this: children aren't as fragile as you think they are.  You're right, you can't control them all the time, so you teach them and hope they make the right decisions.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrPockets000

I've been told that video games make me violent.  The body in the shower didn't help, for obvious reasons.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Time_Lord

College for me which would be high school for americans so 8 years ago? Considering most of my friends are gamers we don't really stereotype at all .

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

I wouldn't take anyone who stereotypes too seriously.  Especially if they can't get over it.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lifestrike
@OppressiveStink 

I didn't mean the majority of gamers are getting younger and younger; I meant that games are ubiquitous enough that they find there way into the hands of younger people. I got my hands on Unreal Tournament (my first real graphic game) when I was 11... Now kids can get kill a Russian airport full of civilians before they're 9. 

Look, I love video games as much as the next guy. Probably even more. They have defined who I am and what I want to do for a career.

I just feel that people who make and play games are getting a little too defensive about this. There IS a risk, and you yourself recognized and admitted it, with your last paragraph.

What it comes down to is this: children aren't as fragile as you think they are.  You're right, you can't control them all the time, so you teach them and hope they make the right decisions. 

I agree exactly, but that also reveals my point. Doesn't it seem a little risky to just "hope they make the right decisions"? Letting a nine year old indulge in what is designed to be very effecting entertainment, and just ruminate on it's meanings? The simple truth of the matter is that not all people can handle video games, and while its easy to say that 99% of the time they can, people fall through the cracks.

When kid goes crazy, the parents blame the game developers, which is dumb and wrong. Meanwhile on the other side, the gamers and the game industry blame the parenting. And this is wrong too.

The blame lies somewhere in the middle. It is a matter of responsibility of the parent to instill good ethics. And I think, myself, that people in the game industry should take a personal responsibility for where, exactly, their games will end up. It's too easy for a developer to make something brutal and mature, and just ship it out the door and not give a rat's ass about who plays it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#26  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm a murderer and a rapist; how dare you associate me with people that play video games.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fraser

It's difficult when a non-gamer sees you playing COD (and the like) to understand "what the point" is other than "just killing everybody". Especially when a lot of the time there really is no other point. And making arguments for tactics, narratives, emotional investment, a community-aspect etc, will never go down well in that 2 minute period where they'll remain interested before they fail to see any evidence for your argument and leave.

That's never bothered me though, because I find a lot of the games that people discuss with regard to the desensitized gamer hard to defend. When you play GTA and kill multiple civilians, you do it because it's fun, and that's weird, but who cares, I'm never gonna do it in real life. I find it pretty hard to defend that kinda thing even though I do it most days.

Honestly the thing I find more annoying is the whole age thing, the presumption that only 7 year olds play games, especially after the stats people have already mentioned in this thread. I remember once my flatmate came in, after being on the phone to her sister and said, "My sister asked me what you were doing, so I said playing videogames, she said 'How old is he again'?". 22, thanks.

paco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By paco
@Lifestrike said:

" I didn't mean the majority of gamers are getting younger and younger; I meant that games are ubiquitous enough that they find there way into the hands of younger people. I got my hands on Unreal Tournament (my first real graphic game) when I was 11... Now kids can get kill a Russian airport full of civilians before they're 9."

Except they aren't killing a Russian airport full of civilians, they're playing a video game. It's very hypocritical of you to say you played UT when you were 11 (which is way more gory, but somehow ok) but a 9 year old playing MW2 somehow crosses a line (even when given the option to skip said scene)? Kids getting their hands on violent video games is in no way worse than in used to be. In fact, it's actually way harder for kids to get their hands on violent video games, as the ESRB did not exist until 1994 (which, nowadays, a lot of stores enforce).

"Doesn't it seem a little risky to just "hope they make the right decisions"? Letting a nine year old indulge in what is designed to be very effecting entertainment, and just ruminate on it's meanings? 

That's what parents do though, to help their kids understand what they see in video games, and how to properly assess the violent content.

"The simple truth of the matter is that not all people can handle video games, and while its easy to say that 99% of the time they can, people fall through the cracks."

By that logic, no one should ever read Catcher in the Rye, or listen to the White Album. In these cases, it wasn't kids who committed violent acts, but full-grown adults.

" When kid goes crazy, the parents blame the game developers, which is dumb and wrong. Meanwhile on the other side, the gamers and the game industry blame the parenting. And this is wrong too.

The blame lies somewhere in the middle. It is a matter of responsibility of the parent to instill good ethics. And I think, myself, that people in the game industry should take a personal responsibility for where, exactly, their games will end up. It's too easy for a developer to make something brutal and mature, and just ship it out the door and not give a rat's ass about who plays it."

It is the parent's responsibility, a game developer shouldn't have to worry about kids playing their game if their game is meant for adult audiences. Same way that filmmakers and writers shouldn't have to worry about kids when making R rated movies or books with adult themes.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Example1013

I think I heard that there's research linking video games to increased IRL aggression.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By N7

They say I got to learn but nobody's here to teach me.
If they can understand, then, how can they reach me?
I guess they can't. I guess they won't.

If we don't educate the uneducated, then how will they learn? And if we don't educate them, then how are we allowed to be angry or annoyed by them when we, ourselves in all of our glory, can reach out and touch someone and make them understand?

Ask yourself these questions, my friends, my brothers, my sisters. Ask yourself and let the truth sink in, not just to your mind, but to your soul.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By melcene
@Godak said:

"Uno! Have you ever been stereotyped by someone after you have mentioned that you play videogames?     

Honestly, if I have, they've been smart enough not to say anything to my face.  Sure, I've gotten some looks.  But are those looks just because they think I'm weird because I'm an adult who still plays video games, or are they automatically putting me in some stereotype?  When I learn how to read minds, I'll let you know.

Honestly, I seem to encounter that more on video game websites than anywhere else.  Fellow gamers are often the ones questioning whether we really are doomed to be densitized murderous monsters.  The general nongaming public really seems to not care. 
Edit:  Having gone back and read the whole thread, this thread shows EXACTLY what I mean.  See?  I hear this crap more from fellow gamers than anyone else.

Tres (yeah, THREE reasons, bitch)! How do we, the gamers, go about showing people that gaming is more than violently beheading assholes who shoot/stab/crotch thrust at you? "

There's nothing we're going to be able to do to change that stereotype.  Video games are used in things like medical surgery and military training.  The good will never outdo the bad.  Look at any other stereotype out there.  How do blacks go about showing people that they are not all hip hop rapping gang bangers?  The fact that the President is half black does nothing for that stereotype.  All you can do is leave people to their ignorance. 

Edit:  How many of you that are arguing over what, or how much, is a parent's responsibility are actually parents?  I am a parent.  I am a gamer.  My child is a gamer.  Yes, my child was playing Morrowind as early as 3.  Yes, at age 11 she has played a few rated M games.  Always after my husband and/or I have checked it out and/or played it ourselves.  IT IS ABOUT RESPONSIBLE PARENTING.  Making sure the kid understands what's going on in the video game, the seriousness of it, and what it means is important.  When my kid started playing CoD 2, I went through and taught her about WW2.  I made her watch the Normandy landing from Saving Private Ryan.  I made sure she understood that this was a part of history, and people really died.  This is a far cry from other parents I know, who laugh and think it's cute when their toddler boy bangs some hooker in the back of a car in a Grand Theft Auto game.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#32  Edited By Yummylee

If they want their murderous mind-warped gamer rapist elites so badly, let's give it to 'em! *readies triple barrelled shotgun*

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blueduck

If you've never tried it and only been exposed to second hand explanations and ideas you will be able to blame anything for anything. Another example are the people who are convinced Marijuana destroys lives regardless of what is proven to them.

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By slantedwindows
@blueduck said:
" If you've never tried it and only been exposed to second hand explanations and ideas you will be able to blame anything for anything. Another example are the people who are convinced Marijuana destroys lives regardless of what is proven to them. "
to play devil's advocate: how many stoners do you know that run fortune 500 companies, and how many stoners do you know that are unemployed?
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

I've never been stereotyped because I only talk about games when someone else brings it up. And when I do, I start easy, metion Peggle or Tetris, gauge the reaction and then if it's good, I can keep talking about how excited I am for Skyrim.  

I had a fun conversation at work when I found out a co-worker was a huge Twin Peaks fan, and plays games too, I'm like... yo giantbomb.com DP ER, do it now. We'll see what happens. 

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Undeadpool

You can't change the way most stupid people think. Before videogames it was rap, before rap it was heavy metal, before heavy metal it was TV, etc etc. If you think you change people's opinions with facts, try talking to the people that think Harry Potter is teaching our children to be devil worshippers. Books have been around for millenia as an entertainment medium and there are tons of them that STILL can't catch a break. You can point to all the studies you want, but the sad truth is that anyone who's willing to stand up and start lecturing isn't going to have their mind changed with facts. It's good to contradict them in a public forum, though, since people who are on the fence can be swayed, but trying to change THAT person just ain't happenin'.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Vinny_Says

Say that shit to me I'll do you in like Niko Belic did Playboy!

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Godak

@Lifestrike said:

Doesn't it seem a little risky to just "hope they make the right decisions"? 

As any parent will tell you, that's pretty much all you can do. You teach them to be nice and culturally accepting. When they go to school, you hope that they will be. You teach them that bullying is never the right course of action for conflict resolution.  When they interact with other children outside of your care, you hope that they were listening.

@StrawHatLaw13

said:

" I wouldn't take anyone who stereotypes too seriously.  Especially if they can't get over it. "

I don't mean to give to much validity to those who stereotype, but there are probably some who are uneducated about games and their affects (I care about these duders), and others still who simply could give a rats ass about what science says (I don't care so much about these duders).

EDIT: To some of you who seem to think that stereotypes are cyclical...they aren't, and they rarely just "disappear" (as has been suggested). While I may have posted a general inquiry about gamers and stereotypes, I don't think this issues is LIMITED to just games. That would be both foolish and irresponsible on my part. 

"But are those looks just because they think I'm weird because I'm an adult who still plays video games, or are they automatically putting me in some stereotype?"

That's exactly the type of stereotype that I am talking about. Why should it be a negative to be forty and gaming?  

"When I learn how to read minds, I'll let you know."

Please do. =P
QZWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By QZWarrior

People fear what they don't understand

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By imsh_pl

People are just afraid of that what is new and different.

People are stubborn. If years ago they claimed that video games are just another popular thing that would die out soon, they don't want to admit their mistakes now.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DeF

this person probably gets his news from some general interest website which then might be one of those who like to post articles about those studies that "shows video games have desensitizing effects" while they ignore the studies that prove otherwise and just run with the most sensationalistic stuff

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mnzy

There was a thread here last week or so of somebody critizing that troubled teenagers in some kind of facility were allowed to play violent video games and there was quite some agreement here that this is wrong.
Games do have influence on people, everything we do does. It's just the question of how much which is not easily answered.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RsistncE
@Lifestrike said:
" Videogames do change how we perceive certain events, anyone who denies that is just lying to themselves. Does it influence (sometimes directly triggering) some people to go on rampages? Yes, it does.  Not most of us, but some people.

The simple truth is a lot of people who should not be playing video games are, and most people in the VG industry are too busy defending their games to concede that point.  I love lots of violent video games, but it's getting insane. Video game players are getting younger and younger, and games are getting more and more graphic. It's stupid for us to ignore and endlessly deny how dangerous that is.

And no, you can't just use the fucking "Oh its the parent's responsibility" argument. That doesn't fucking work, because nothing short of social isolation will stop your child from playing video games. And thank god, because video games are awesome.

It's a really difficult situation, because many of these graphic videogames are really great, and tons of people bust their ass to bring them to us. But everything influences a child. Playing with a god damned beach ball influences a child. So it's balls out retardation to assert that killing scores of soldiers won't.
"
This.
Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Godak
@mnzy said:
"Games do have influence on people, everything we do does. It's just the question of how much which is not easily answered. "
You should also be asking "How?". Videogames can be a great way to vent, or they can can cause a resurgence of aggression. It depends on the individuals.

Question: What kinds of troubled teens are we talking?
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gargantuan

Almost everybody who is 30 or younger in Sweden plays games occasionally. It's very mainstream here. Nobody cares if someone likes to play games.

fryedrycestyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fryedrycestyle

Having recently read Grand Theft Childhood I'd probably recommend most ignorant folks who blabber about violence in videogames and the effects they have on us go read that before spewing nonsense. It's a very insightful book and may make them rethink what they're saying. Seems to be the most level headed research on violence in games there has been so far. Also shows a lot of history on how this isn't new citing the same outrage towards film, comic books, etc.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By the_hiro_abides

The thing I hate about this argument is that people will say "some" people are affected. Funny enough but "some" makes it sound like a sizable percentage of people are sociopaths. The number is way lower. 

As for kids getting their hands on violent M-Rated video games, I've worked at a couple of retailers, the Point of Sales systems forces you to scan IDs. It's like buying cigarettes or alcohol. Having said that, you can buy an R rated movie without an ID. Seeing one in a theater is the only time that gets enforced.  So it is parent's responsibility and fault that kids get that stuff. I haven't worked at every retailer so I don't know if the employees can skip the age gate or not. And of course online they can fake it if they have access to a credit or debit card. 

I don't think games or any media desensitize people to violence. Committing violence of any kind desensitizes people. Maybe when media actually hits the "virtual reality" of sight, smell, sounds, or feel then I would believe these arguments hold weight.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#49  Edited By Sin4profit
@Godak said:
"rather me carve out another anus in his face than continue the current conversation. "
woah, this guy already had an anus on his face? give the poor guy a break, i'm sure he gets a lot of flak for his freakish features. 

1. i don't openly display my affections for gaming so the opportunity never arises. 
2. nothing cerebral enough to where i feel a need to respond. 
3. we stop aggressively boasting the amount of reasons we're making an internet thread on a subject that has been beaten to death already?
Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Godak
@Sin4profit said:

" @Godak said:

"rather me carve out another anus in his face than continue the current conversation. "

woah, this guy already had an anus on his face? give the poor guy a break, i'm sure he gets a lot of flak for his freakish features. 
Yup. We all do. The mouth is the butt crack of the head, after all.  

3. we stop aggressively boasting the amount of reasons we're making an internet thread on a subject that has been beaten to death already?  

I like beating things to death. It's one of the reasons I created this thread. People need to know that it's a perfectly acceptable hobby. 

@the_hiro_abides said:

As for kids getting their hands on violent M-Rated video games, I've worked at a couple of retailers, the Point of Sales systems forces you to scan IDs. It's like buying cigarettes or alcohol. Having said that, you can buy an R rated movie without an ID. Seeing one in a theater is the only time that gets enforced.  So it is parent's responsibility and fault that kids get that stuff. I haven't worked at every retailer so I don't know if the employees can skip the age gate or not. And of course online they can fake it if they have access to a credit or debit card.    

Exactly. Shouldn't parents take some amount of responsibility for where their child's money gets spent? I'm all for allowances, and teaching the value of currency, but parents should take an active interest in what their children buy. Kids don't really have any sort of economic freedom until their 15, or so (that's when you can get a part time job, I believe). For most M-Rated games, that's old enough to comprehend many of the themes that are being presented.