Three of the games here look amazing. Only two of them play amazing.

• 71 results
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
No Caption Provided

Didn't I just do this game? Close; I covered Wand of Gamelon a couple of weeks ago, promised that I'd cover this game, and kept true to my word. Buuuut since these games are so damn similar, I fail to see the point in writing what would essentially be the same review. So instead, I'm simply going to review another game in place of this one, post all the Zelda CD-i videos I have saved up for future blogs, and put this behind me once and for all.

No Caption Provided

And what better way to put it all behind me than with a game that's its polar opposite? After all, where Faces of Evil lives up to its name in all the wrong ways, Vagrant Story features faces that look and emote like actual human faces. Where Wand of Gamelon couldn't get past the first act of the three act structure, Vagrant Story clearly knows what the hell it's doing when it comes to narratives. And....OK, you get it. I really like this game, alright?

It all begins with a billion cutscenes, all of them looking like something out of a medieval heist movie. Soon, our badass villain, Edward Elric, drops a dragon on our protagonist and promptly leaves town. Now it is up to the utterly generic Ashley Riot to descend upon the magical city of Lea Monde and end Sydney's games for good. However, the city's less "happy fun adventure time" magical and more "darkness earthquakes create a million zombies and yet more Shakespeare references" magical, a fact that works in the game's favor. You only find this out slowly over the course of the game, so there's a sense of intrigue and mystery surrounding the city, and it's enough to make you want to push forward and figure out just what the hell's up with the city. The constant political gambits the various characters play against each other only amplifies said feelings, even if they can be hard to follow at times. Still, though, if I was to recommend Vagrant Story on one factor alone, it would probably be this one.

"Let me hold you in my loving embrace."

In some cases, it's even enough to carry the weaker aspects of the game. Aspects like our protagonist. I know I mentioned it before, but it bears repeating: this is a generic bastard. His defining personality trait, as far as I can tell, is that he exists. Later on, he gets some fleshing out, but not in terms of personality, as that remains as anemic as ever. No, we get development of his juicy, juicy back story. All we really know is that he's now part of the Valendia Knights because of something regarding a family that may or may not be his and may or may not have ever existed. It's the exact same appeal as the story behind Lea Monde. The only real difference I can note is that while you get some clear answers with the city, Ashley never gets that clarity. Now that may piss off those looking for something less ambiguous, but I don't find it too much a problem. I mean, the game's already playing around with ideas of the thin limits between reality and fantasy (what with there being a fantasy creature to slice in half every ten feet), and I don't think definite conclusions would fit well into that schema.

So let it be known that I really love the story in this game. Yet I must give credit where credit is due: to the writers graphics. What? Can't graphics play their part in telling a story? For as much as I love the slowly eked out past of Lea Monde, I have to imagine the richly detailed environments contribute just as well to the game's setting. And that's nothing compared to how expressive these characters are. They blink, they smirk, they spit (sometimes), and they even move their mouths to form words! That exclamation mark makes a lot more sense when you realize that there's no voice acting in this game, meaning Square had no reason to make the characters' mouths move. But they did, anyway, and it goes a long way toward establishing their presence in the world. They almost feel like actual people instead of, say, actors reading a script. I could go on, but by now, I'm sure we're in agreement on how amazing this game looks. Hell, I'm having a hard time remembering anything I didn't like about it. I think the only significant fault is that the frame rate chugs in a few areas, but that's only because the PlayStation simply can't handle how real this game is.

I should also mention that this game has a ton of cool bosses. Perhaps on another screenshot, because this isn't one of them.
I should also mention that this game has a ton of cool bosses. Perhaps on another screenshot, because this isn't one of them.

All that, and we still haven't gotten to how the game plays. I swear, my language is just as flowery and dense as the game I'm covering. Anywho, the actual game. A lot of it's based on exploration, for reasons I can't really comprehend. The environments themselves don't provide any motivation for serious exploration. For every one awesome level like anything set in the actual city of Lea Monde, you get crap ones like the Lost Woods and mines with really bad block puzzles and whatever else the developers carried over from late 90s game design. Oh, and a billion brown caves. But maybe the material rewards are enough to balance out the visual monotony, except they aren't. It's pretty much all equipment, which, in itself, isn't terribly bad.

This does, however, come with a lot of baggage, a lot of it in the form of an oddly complex range of weaknesses. You have to worry about weapon type weaknesses, species weaknesses, elemental weaknesses, and maybe some other stuff that I stopped paying attention to long ago because all of my weapons seemed to do the same amount of damage, anyway. But there are also the menus upon menus to consider. While there is a quick menu you can pull up any time mid-battle, you can't equip weapons from it, making the previously discussed weapon angle that much harder a sell. Then again, this may be just me. Who knows? One of you might enjoy wandering through Dirt Alley (or, as the game probably calls it, "The Weak Suffer the Chickens") to obtain a new weapon that requires twelve menus to equip and will most likely alter your rhythm in combat.

You are a dangerous individual not fit to live in civilized society.

"A recollection of facts or previously experienced events?" "Fucking smartass."

For the sane individual, there is the combat, which is somewhat hard to explain. It's an action RPG, but it isn't? There are a lot of systems to cover, and it's not easy figuring out where to begin. But begin I shall. Combat happens in real time until you decide to initiate an attack, at which point you get to choose which part of the enemy's body is most deserving of death's cold embrace. Fortunately, the enemies are various enough in focus and often resilient enough that this is a meaningful choice on your part. And here we come to the key strength of the combat system: the strategy. There are just so many systems to keep track of at any one time, each one having a significant effect on where things go. You have the aforementioned VATS system, the status-destroying Chain Attacks, the appropriately named Risk system, the shitty shit weaknesses sucking all kinds of ass, and so on. It sounds like a lot to manage, but weaknesses aside, it's all surprisingly easy to manage, striking a good balance between depth and accessibility.

And yet for all the consideration you have to give toward the systems I just described, just as much effort goes into the execution as does the planning, so there's some real skill involved and, consequentially, an appropriate sense of accomplishment accompanying it. But that's not what....OK, that's actually a very good reason why you should play Vagrant Story. Whatever. I was trying to say that the story's an even greater motivation (with the graphics trailing behind both). I'm just not very good at saying these things.

Review Synopsis

• Reyn and a resident Giant Bomb user are dropped into the land of Ivalice. Somehow, they emerge with a fantastic story.
  • Reyn emerges after about ten to fifteen hours of navigating more brown rooms than his contemporary Raziel.
  • Fortunately, the combat's there to spice things up.

As I said, here are all the Zelda CD-i videos that I've been wanting to post. Warning: there are a lot of (fucking weird) videos following this text.

I told you they were weird.

No Caption Provided

If ever my blog had a clear purpose, it would probably be something like "I review whatever obscure-ass game I happen upon". But if I had a much clearer purpose, it would probably be to reveal obscure games that are criminally underappreciated, a purpose into which Pulseman fits perfectly. This game's about a superhero who bounces around levels pinball style as an orb of pure electric energy. Why don't more people know about this game? (I bet it's that whole "extremely limited release" shtick.)

Actually, just taking a quick glance at it, I can probably understand why somebody would look this over. It's just another cute (if extremely good looking) platformer, of which there were a billion already, right? HOW CAN A HYPOTHETICAL PERSON BE SO WRONG!? I'd say that there's one thing separating Pulseman from other platformers, but the truth is that there are several things, the most prominent among them being the electricity. Walk around for a bit, and you build up a charge, which allows you to shoot energy beams, bounce around like an electric pinball (a band name I've already reserved), and do this one move that seems to make the screen flip the eff out. It's that second one we're interested in, though. I mean, yea, energy bolts are useful, but how do they even compare to shooting about the world on electric wings? That feature gives the game the chaotic sense of speed that makes it so fun in the first place. Sometimes, that feature backfires miserably, like anything to do with the finicky electric wire, but fortunately, those tend to be exceptions to the rule.

Have I mentioned how absolutely amazing this game looks? Especially with some of the crazier electric backgrounds (which are clearly not pictured here in any manner whatsoever)?
Have I mentioned how absolutely amazing this game looks? Especially with some of the crazier electric backgrounds (which are clearly not pictured here in any manner whatsoever)?

I have to imagine a lot of that is because of the sense of control Pulseman maintains. As off-the-walls crazy as the ability to literally bounce off walls sounds, most of the levels are designed with this feature in mind, so you're having fun within limits. And for every one part dedicated to this pinball-esque insanity, there's a more traditional, far slower paced platforming section around the corner. Now this may sound like an odd mix, but this pairing is completely necessary for the game to stay at its level of quality. Neither idea can completely carry this game. The Arkanoid electric madness (got that bad name, too) would inevitably become stale over the seven levels that you traverse, and while the slower portions are reasonably challenging, their design is perhaps too plain to bear the weight of the entire experience. But as Pulseman strikes a good balance between the two, this never becomes a problem.

Speaking of problems, maybe it's time I actually speak of this game's problems instead of dishing out blind praise. For one, the bosses aren't that hard. Usually, the difficulty lies in figuring out their patterns rather than in acting on that, and given how most bosses only have two to three moves, these aren't the hardest patterns to crack. More damning for the game are the control issues. Everything's very momentum based, which works out OK when you're simply running around. Jumping, though, is more of a pain. If you were moving forward while you were jumping, you're gonna move forward while falling. Straightforward, yes, but it reduces jumping precision and results either in me finicking about with the left and right buttons or Pulseman plunging foot first to a horrible death. The game doesn't even have a good justification for this. The physics in the game are largely rigid and set in stone, so that angle's out. Challenge might also explain these control choices, since, well, they make the game more challenging. Not in a good way, though. More in a "fighting against the game" sort of way. OK, less a fight and more a minor spat, but whatever. I think you understand.

Oh, and maybe I should mention the story premise at some point. There's this doctor person, and, this being a work of fiction, he's super duper evil. In enters Power Ranger Pulseman to put an end to his cartoonish ways. And I do mean cartoonish (or, rather, cartoony). The atmosphere's reminiscent of a Japanese cartoon circa 1974, with its squishy, non-threatening character designs, lending the game a lighthearted sense of urgency that feels right at home in the world of Pulseman. Man, now I want an HD remake of this game so damn bad. And this game is so deserving of it, too. Nobody really played it in its heyday, and can you imagine those trippy electric levels with glorious HD graphics? I think what I'm getting at is that I want Pulseman to enter the modern world with a thick Scottish accent. Then again, don't we all?

Review Synopsis

• When most people think "pinball platformer", they probably think of Sonic Spinball. Show them this and they will understand the error of their ways.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I remember watching videos of Pulseman a year or so ago. I never did get around to playing it on the Wii.(I'm not even sure if it's on the EU VC.) I remember looking at the cartridge on ebay, it goes for a lot of money these days.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunstarred:

Isn't that because the only other release was essentially digital?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

@video_game_king: Yeah, we didn't even get that phone service thing in the UK. According to that wiki page it is on the EU store. I should probably check it out now I've been reminded of its existence.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

"Arkanoid Electronic Madness" sounds like a good name for some sort of electronica band.

Also I knew I was going to be linked somewhere when you said that the bad guy of Vagrant Story is Edward Elric (who, for the record, only has one mechanical arm). As a curious question, did you ever watch Full Metal Alchemist?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Vagrant Story is one of those games I think of first when I think how voice acting has kind of sent the art of placing text bubbles in an aesthetically pleasing manner into obsolescence. Aside from the blurriness, it also looks great for a PS1 game. Square really had a full command of that system. I never really dug the game mechanics, I think I got stuck in some boss fight where early on my weapon broke, or didn't have the right edge type, or the risk meter was full or something. I kicked some sargeant on the ground and stunlocked him until he died an hour or two later.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258 said:

Also I knew I was going to be linked somewhere when you said that the bad guy of Vagrant Story is Edward Elric (who, for the record, only has one mechanical arm).

We all did. I even tried to make a running gag of that with the captions in the wiki. Then I realized I didn't have enough to work with.

As a curious question, did you ever watch Full Metal Alchemist?

That second episode in Japanese you linked me to a while back. Looked OK from what I can remember. Then I buggered off to a billion Yatterman episodes (largely because I couldn't find any more Japanese FMA).

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@video_game_king: the FMA dub is way better. Though if you want just subs Funimation has all of FMA: brotherhood on it's youtube account.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta:

Any way to turn the subs off? I watched that one episode for Japanese listening practice (which I could never really get working, anyway).

And on that note, I started watching the Xenosaga anime on Funimation a few days back. Man, that's a crappy looking anime.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By veektarius

Back when I was in my 'go back and play PS1 RPG' games phase during the PS2 era (I never owned the original) Vagrant Story stood out as one where I had a lot of trouble dealing with the resolution of the textures. If they rereleased a higher def version of it, I'd be happy to try again.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By veektarius

@believer258: I don't own a PS3 or PS4 or vita, so I can't buy it. But now that I know it is there, perhaps someday I will. Thanks.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@veektarius: VS is the best looking PS1 game.

Hurray for Vagrant Story. The weakness system is all presented to you as information, thus complexitiy isn't a potential fault; now it does make the learning curve maybe the longest in any single player game ever but that just adds to the accomplishment of beating it. You didn't talk about how hard the last boss was though, hmm... Either way good on you for playing it. All of the complexities of VS' combat are well done so it's simultaneously the most advanced JRPG yet created while also being one of the most challenging. I mean this game came out 14 years ago and you've got more ways to dispatch monsters than basically every game since. There's almost 100 break arts (all of which still look visually impressive), 30+ defense abilities, 30+ chain abilities, 50+ spells, the way your stats upgrade is way better than just a simple leveling system. Hell even the weird roundabout ways to get the best weapons in the game are more interesting than contemporary methods.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I'm sorry you feel that way. You might be brown-type colorblind. It's a rare condition where you see fuzzy brown objects as being colorful and well-defined.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@veektarius: Brown is only a feature early in the game, but as for the brown colored areas they still look better than most PS2/PS3 brown areas much later. Anyway what I meant to say is you'd have to have a stick up your own ass to not play VS because of graphics, because every other PS1 game with 3d graphics that isn't MGS looks worse and MGS still looks worse but it's sort of marginal. There's a reason that when the PS2 came out there were a lot of shots of VS comparisons running on the PS2 vs the PS1.

@video_game_king: Eh I think much like the rest of the game Vagrant Story reached the height of block puzzle design with the Temple of Kiltia; always an amusement and the music is great there. There's nothing inherently wrong with block pushing puzzles and VS towers over Deadly Premonition for comparison (and probably Catherine too).

Challenge is not confusing the player thus if design is inherently bad then the challenge isn't really there just an obfuscation layer (like say, the Fool's Idol in Demon's Souls). In VS the reason you're failing shouldn't be confusing it should be readily discoverable with the information provided.

The story is excellent, there's some other piece of writing that explains more of it; can't remember what it was called though.

Edit: Ah found it, it's called the ultimania.

VS actually did get a lot of respect from reviewers when it came out; and rightly so just Square decided to be douchebags and not make another one.

"Let's just get it out of the way - Vagrant Story is a ground-breaking game. A melange of the action, adventure and RPG genres, Square has truly beaten all odds and produced an engaging, seamless epic unlike any other. Despite a few interface and complexity issues, Vagrant Story is a rare and nearly perfected game."

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: Brown is only a feature early in the game, but as for the brown colored areas they still look better than most PS2/PS3 brown areas much later. Anyway what I meant to say is you'd have to have a stick up your own ass to not play VS because of graphics, because every other PS1 game with 3d graphics that isn't MGS looks worse and MGS still looks worse but it's sort of marginal. There's a reason that when the PS2 came out there were a lot of shots of VS comparisons running on the PS2 vs the PS1..

Reading the article the reason for its use in this case appears to be that the textures were so bad that the PS2's texture smoothing hardware was able to make a great improvement. Which is interesting. I didn't know it did that at all when playing PS1 games.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@veektarius: The textures were the best on the PS1 as well, that's why it's used as an improvement comparison. "Here's the best looking game and now it looks even better." They didn't pick Tobal No. 1 or Shadow Madness to show off for a reason.

I'm assuming you didn't play Shadow of the Colossus because it was too brown as well, lots of browns and grays and dull greens.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By nightriff
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VS actually did get a lot of respect from reviewers when it came out; and rightly so just Square decided to be douchebags and not make another one.

Or maybe they felt that Vagrant Story already told a full story and they could leave well enough alone. I mean, Lea Monde is fucked and Sydney is dead by the end of the game. If you were to make a sequel, it wouldn't necessarily be related to anything in the original.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edsone said:

@fredchuckdave: Vagrant Story had one of the most impressive 3D graphics on the system along games such as Tekken 3, Soul Reaver and (very) few others but best-looking?

Yes.
Yes.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I rented Vagrant Story back when it came out and it's haunted me ever since. Really wish I could find time to play it...

Maybe next winter?

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@video_game_king: VS doesn't look remotely as good-looking as either Chrono Cross or Breath of Fire IV.

By the way the image you just posted looks suspiciously 'emulator-like' making the edges smoother then it would be on the original hardware.

ps.: accidentally deleted my last post trying to edit.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edsone said:

@video_game_king: VS doesn't look remotely as good-looking as either Chrono Cross or Breath of Fire IV.

Note to self: play Chrono Cross. Maybe regret it.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: to be honest I'm not a big fan of Chrono Cross :p I just don't say it too often because I value my life xDI find it very pretty though and that soundtrack goes a long way in making the game better than (I think) it is. Most people love it so you'll most likely enjoy.

Also, just so no one gets the wrong idea, I'm not bashing Vagrant Story.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@edsone: Breath of Fire IV isn't polygonal and thus isn't comparable. Chrono Cross looks better in a few specific spots but those are also mostly propelled by the 2d backgrounds not the 3d graphics. The enemies look pretty rough in Chrono Cross relative to the enemies in VS.

@video_game_king: Chrono Cross is worth playing for the music and the NG+ mechanic. A sequel to VS might not be about Ashley Riot but about another possessor of the Blood Sin; or Mullenkamp or what have you. It's very easy to make a Dark Souls sort of combat system that incorporates the complex elements from Vagrant Story. Modern VS is like Dark Souls + Bayonetta with more elemental factors in play. Imagine if Lightning Returns was Ashley Returns; the character might actually be more interesting than a blank piece of paper!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Well he could go visit Delita and say "sup bro, I hear you're the best character in any game ever." Or go tell Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca how stupid her name is. As someone who liked Final Fantasy XIII the world is just not even remotely interesting compared to Ivalice.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@edsone said:

Note to self: play Chrono Cross. Maybe regret it.

You won't.

Music alone is pretty in your face awesome but really it's the giant cast of characters (45) that is so awesome. People will lie and tell you "ze are all zo alike" but that's BS.

And yeah to agree with @fredchuckdave for once in my life the NG+ is AWWESSSOMMEEE. Basically you can pull the trigger and face the last boss any time, creating a huge number of different endings depending on when you decide to fight. Also, you can fast forward (which makes you run fast/battles go quicker) but more importantly, you can SLOW DOWN TIME AND SPEND THE WHOLE GAME RUNNING IN SLOW MOTION.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Chrono Cross doesn't have the Suikoden problem of 10 good characters and 98 forgettable ones; but you're still going to wind up using Glenn and Fargo/Viper; because who wouldn't; it's like playing Chrono Trigger without using Frog.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By edsone

@fredchuckdave: I get what you mean now though I find it comparable unless we make a distinction between sprite and polygonal games. A good-looking game is a good-looking game. In Chrono Cross, BoFIV or FFIX the 3D was indeed worse than anything in Vagrant Story but overall it didn't impact the visuals greatly compared to a full 3D one. However I agree that VS is prettier than the majority of the titles from the ps1 library, specially due to its overall design (fashion style aside of course :p).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@edsone: With most modern games you can make a clear distinction between 2D and 3D graphics, but with the PS1/N64 it's important to recognize that polygonal graphics looked terrible for the most part so anything that even looks remotely good is an exceptional effort, and games that still visually hold up today are ridiculously rare. So yes Symphony of the Night (etc.) probably looks better than VS today but contextually VS is a far, far more impressive looking game (though if you want to make an argument for Mario 64 I won't stop you).

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: from that perspective I suppose I can agree. I was looking from a modern day perspective. I won't make the 'mario 64 argument' because that was on a more powerful hardware in terms of 3D. The fact that Vagrant Story is a lot grittier doesn't help it either. It was more a case of either do it this way or don't do it altogether. It's the same as Soul Reaver in this respect in my opinion.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*senses Vagrant Story talk*

Yeeaaahhh, Vagrant Story!! Those graphics were pretty amazing at the time. And that Sakimoto soundtrack, they both set such a unique mood.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By MormonWarrior

I just installed Vagrant Story on my PSP. Going to hopefully get to it soon.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edsone: With most modern games you can make a clear distinction between 2D and 3D graphics, but with the PS1/N64 it's important to recognize that polygonal graphics looked terrible for the most part so anything that even looks remotely good is an exceptional effort, and games that still visually hold up today are ridiculously rare. So yes Symphony of the Night (etc.) probably looks better than VS today but contextually VS is a far, far more impressive looking game (though if you want to make an argument for Mario 64 I won't stop you).

If it weren't for the faces, I'd guess that Vagrant Story is an early PS2 game. The only PS1 game I know of that still looks as good or better is Crash Bandicoot Warped.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King

And yeah to agree with @fredchuckdave for once in my life the NG+ is AWWESSSOMMEEE. Basically you can pull the trigger and face the last boss any time, creating a huge number of different endings depending on when you decide to fight.

So it's essentially Chrono Trigger, but in 3D and more controversial? Then play it I shall! Maybe even get a decent screenshot thread out of it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So yes Symphony of the Night (etc.) probably looks better than VS today

Wait, what? I'd say Vagrant Story looks a lot better. Sounds it, too. Really appreciated the metal tink flowing through all the sound design. What an overlooked aspect of....well, everything.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@video_game_king: Well I think VS looks better, but does a random 12 year old? In terms of sound design and music VS is still extremely high on the list all time though. Break Arts still look awesome. The ambient noises on the surface are amazing. Also how did we get this far in the thread without someone complaining about the Snowfly forest?

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I remember wanting to play Vagrant Story recently for what ever reason I already forgot. I did just recently finish Suikoden 2 and my copies of Tomb Raider and Last Light wont be here till next week...

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#41  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@fredchuckdave: Snowfly Forest only sucks when you don't know what you are doing, in other words on your first playthrough. After you know how the area works it's not bad at all.

Anyway, I fucking love Vagrant Story. Kinda want to go and do another playthrough.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: @video_game_king: yeah, SoTN looks are nothing to write home about either. It was more about style and level design. Even back then I wasn't in awe. Anyway, would a 12yo play either? :p

I do believe VS has a better sound but I think SoTN has the upper hand soundtrack wise. All fairly straight forward arrangements but a classic soundtrack.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edsone said:

Anyway, would a 12yo play either? :p

If you're raising them right, they would.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yeah I guess the most interesting characteristic about Ashley Riot was his name. But man the game ended just when the world building started to really get interesting

I miss The Ivalice of the original FFT and VS. It had a lot of potential I don't think it's ever really realized and has been a bit diminished by the kid friendlier (moogle and other furry friends like the Viera) direction FF TA took it.

But man playing Vagrant Story when it was released was just mind blowing experience. It was so dark or a Square game, it was perhaps the first Square title where I felt like anything could happen to an of the characters. The very late 90's really was a gold mine of video game greatness.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King

@slag said:

I miss The Ivalice of the original FFT and VS. It had a lot of potential I don't think it's ever really realized and has been a bit diminished by the kid friendlier (moogle and other furry friends like the Viera) direction FF TA took it.

I'd say "What about FF12", but:

A.) That's more overt fantasy than the grittier realism portrayed in the earlier Ivalice games. Like, yea, there were fantasy elements, but the world was relatively grounded and the focus was always on the complex political relations between everybody in the cast. No magical flying car bullshit or anything. (There's a better way of saying that.) And

B.) FF12 isn't very good. Wait.....the Zodiac version has English subs, right? There might be a screenshot thread in that.

The very late 90's really was a gold mine of video game greatness.

90s in general. There were some real important leaps in what games were capable of. We might be experiencing that again. Might.

And just my luck: I found ANOTHER fucking Zelda CD-i video. (Still a little disappointed that nobody noticed that the last one was mine.) Enjoy.

Loading Video...

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Slag

@slag said:

I'd say "What about FF12", but:

A.) That's more overt fantasy than the grittier realism portrayed in the earlier Ivalice games. Like, yea, there were fantasy elements, but the world was relatively grounded and the focus was always on the complex political relations between everybody in the cast. No magical flying car bullshit or anything. (There's a better way of saying that.) And

B.) FF12 isn't very good. Wait.....the Zodiac version has English subs, right? There might be a screenshot thread in that.

The very late 90's really was a gold mine of video game greatness.

90s in general. There were some real important leaps in what games were capable of. We might be experiencing that again. Might.

And just my luck: I found ANOTHER fucking Zelda CD-i video. (Still a little disappointed that nobody noticed that the last one was mine.) Enjoy.

Loading Video...

fwiw I liked FFXii, but yeah it was more pure high fantasy then the grittier Ivalice I prefer. Plus Vaan is in it, which is blech. I understand Kids want a character they can relate to, but that avatar doesn't have to be vapid like him. Kids deserve better. Ramza was a far better character in that vein.

The entire 90's were great, I still think the latter half was something special unto itself though. I don't how active you were back then in gaming, but man the jump to 3D (or polygonal I guess) was like a near sighted kid putting on glasses to be able to see 20/20 for the first time. It was just a profound change.

It was a time of sky high optimism where it felt like anything was possible. And every thing coming out just felt so novel and fresh. A lot of those really don't hold now (like the original Resident Evil, Tekken or Battle Arean Toshinden) but man were they exciting back then. Games really leapt into the forefront of mainstream consciousness. 3D was something even local news people got the significance of.

I'd argue this era is pretty dang great too in that games are readily accessible and inexpensive now, but in some ways that is a more subtle change.

yeah sorry I didn't notice your vid at the end, I see that now. But to be honest I only watched one of the videos of the ones you embedded. I read your blogs for the picture not the movies.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag:

Why does everyone have a problem with Vaan? I have the greater problem with Ashe just stealing the story as soon as she jumps into the story. Or the battle system boiling down to "you don't have to play it!".

man the jump to 3D (or polygonal I guess) was like a near sighted kid putting on glasses to be able to see 20/20 for the first time. It was just a profound change.

So something like this:

I can relate Katawa Shoujo to FUCKING. ANYTHING.

I'd argue this era is pretty dang great too in that games are readily accessible and inexpensive now, but in some ways that is a more subtle change.

I'm thinking more a story perspective. Just look at all the cool shit we've gotten in recent-ish years. Spec Ops, Papers, Please, Pandora's Tower, BioShock, the Persona games, Radiant Historia, some other shit I'm not yet remembering, Little Inferno, etc. So great.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@video_game_king: Vaan is just kind of a boring meaningless character, as is Penelo. He's not super fucking annoying like Tidus or Hope so it's not like he's a terrible character, just forgettable. Ashe is fine as the protagonist and she most assuredly is the protagonist. The plot is what winds up falling a little short in FFXII, not the characters, and certainly not the fantastic world design. Gameplay is just relaxing all around, though admittedly a bit hands-offish if you're not doing a challenge run. It's still better than every JRPG on the PS3 that isn't Dark Souls (Last Remnant is arguably in the same sphere as FFXII, but you really have to like weird battle systems/difficult learning curves).

@sgtsphynx: I actually enjoyed Snowfly even on the first go around; paid a lot of attention to the amusing names of each map section. "Have to find They also Feed damnit!" Also the most important tool to beating the last boss is there. VS doesn't age so go right ahead and do another playthrough; it will always be awesome.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag:

Why does everyone have a problem with Vaan? I have the greater problem with Ashe just stealing the story as soon as she jumps into the story. Or the battle system boiling down to "you don't have to play it!".

man the jump to 3D (or polygonal I guess) was like a near sighted kid putting on glasses to be able to see 20/20 for the first time. It was just a profound change.

So something like this:

I'm thinking more a story perspective. Just look at all the cool shit we've gotten in recent-ish years. Spec Ops, Papers, Please, Pandora's Tower, BioShock, the Persona games, Radiant Historia, some other shit I'm not yet remembering, Little Inferno, etc. So great.

I liked Ashe, her character and motivation was better. Certainly good enough to be a lead in a Final Fantasy game. I liked the political angle as it reminded me of the FFT Ivalice vibe. She should have been the lead of the game from the get go. Vaan and Penelo just didn't fit with the rest of the gang (I should note I'm not finished with the game yet as I burned myself out around the 80 hour mark but I do intend to go back and finish it or restart it and finish it. So that I may not know things that could change my mind).

Vaan was just obvious pandering to a certain audience and his character rang false. He also was tangential to the real plot driving the game. That's why people didn't like him.

Contrast that to Ramza who was central to the plot or even to Hope who had a much better reason to be running with 20 somethings due to circumstance.

The gambit battle system didn't bother me, to be honest in Final Fantasy games if you explore at all, the only battles that are any fun are boss battles anyway. I'm the type who tries to find all the treasure in a dungeon, so I usually end up way overleveled for typical encounters pretty quickly. So for me at least, it wasn't that different than just mashing A to look for treasure chests anyway.

Yeah that image about sums up what I was saying.

I do absolutely agree game stories are getting better and better, but it feels more like an evolution than a revolution like the shift from the 16 bit era to the Ps1/N64 era was. Those systems were such a jarring leap in experience. Everything you knew as a consumer about games was changed in the space of a year. Pandora's Tower, Radiant Historia, Bioshock et al are wonderful, but they don't come close to capturing the popular imagination the way OoT, StarCraft, Doom or especially Mario 64 did.

That being said I wouldn't go back. Things are better now for the most part, especially if Nintendo can find its' mojo once more.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

I liked Ashe, her character and motivation was better. Certainly good enough to be a lead in a Final Fantasy game. I liked the political angle as it reminded me of the FFT Ivalice vibe. She should have been the lead of the game from the get go.

Yes and no? I mean, it would've made the sudden switch less of a problem, but the political stuff is a large reason why I didn't like FF12. It was just so convoluted and confusing.

The gambit battle system didn't bother me, to be honest in Final Fantasy games if you explore at all, the only battles that are any fun are boss battles anyway. I'm the type who tries to find all the treasure in a dungeon, so I usually end up way overleveled for typical encounters pretty quickly. So for me at least, it wasn't that different than just mashing A to look for treasure chests anyway.

I've never bought that argument. If the battles were never that particularly engaging, why have them in the first place? Why not just design them out? It's the same question I asked of Xenosaga I+II (although here, I could at least see room for justification).

I do absolutely agree game stories are getting better and better, but it feels more like an evolution than a revolution like the shift from the 16 bit era to the Ps1/N64 era was.

I'd say it's more of an invisible change than the 3D revolution was. There, it was a significant graphical change that brought with it some major design problems. (It certainly didn't help that most developers felt they had to make games in 3D.) Today, though, the focus is more on how gameplay systems and designing the interactive bits can impact the story. That's why I cited the games I did: they show that understanding we're arriving at, both as critics and as developers.

especially if Nintendo can find its' mojo once more.

I guess that means:

No Caption Provided