Trailers for Games on an Idle Menu... Why?

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I don't know why this bothers me, but I don't like it when a game has its own trailer running on an idle menu screen. 

MW2 is current example. It's looping away merrily on the TV as I type. I just think, why? I bought the damn game already. I'm sold. Done.

I understand it helps in stores as an eye blaster for demo stations or whatnot, but I'd like to see something you could tweak. Maybe highlights of high-level competition games or something like that. Killcam shots from top players, that sort of thing.

Whadduya think?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Idle menu? You mean like attract mode? I don't see why any game that isn't arcade style (like a fighting game) has an attract mode. I mean, what place do they have in home console games?

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SolemnOaf

It keeps your TV from showing the same static image, in case you for some reason forget to turn it off, preventing burn-in or a frozen game screen.  What an odd thing to be complaining about.
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MysteriousBob: 

Yeah, like an attract screen, but MW2 has a full trailer-type thing like a movie running over and over. I'd like to see something different done with it, like my suggestions earlier.

I'm guessing that consoles have it for those demo stations in stores, to catch the eye of a potential customer. A lot of people who buy this game don't really keep up with games like we do, and an awesome explosive trailer running over and over again in store will pick up a few sales.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob
@SolemnOaf said:
" It keeps your TV from showing the same static image, in case you for some reason forget to turn it off, preventing burn-in or a frozen game screen.  What an odd thing to be complaining about. "
Isn't that why the screen goes dark by default?
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SolemnOaf: 

I'm not really complaining, I just think that something cool could be done with it instead of watching the same thing over and over again.