Trying to find some love for Nintendo

DrakeAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By DrakeAsh

I know it is pretty cliche right now to have some complaints about Nintendo and the Wii, but I really am trying to find a reason to hook it up to my TV on a regular basis.  It has been said several times before, but the eminent release of Super Mario Galaxy 2 has me contemplating whether or not I am going to bother with the purchase at all.  I consider myself a lover of the proper Mario titles, and I loved the first Galaxy.  I am just not finding the motivation to get the Wii out of the closet and hook it up.  It really makes me wonder how many of the millions of people actually play their system.  I know they have made a lot of sales, and first party games tend to sell well, but that is about all.  Just a thought when thinking about the next system that they will put out and the 3DS.  I have never understood the fervor surrounding the Nintendo faithful, but I consider myself a fan since owning the NES when it first came out.   I just don't have the excitement anymore.

DrakeAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrakeAsh

I know it is pretty cliche right now to have some complaints about Nintendo and the Wii, but I really am trying to find a reason to hook it up to my TV on a regular basis.  It has been said several times before, but the eminent release of Super Mario Galaxy 2 has me contemplating whether or not I am going to bother with the purchase at all.  I consider myself a lover of the proper Mario titles, and I loved the first Galaxy.  I am just not finding the motivation to get the Wii out of the closet and hook it up.  It really makes me wonder how many of the millions of people actually play their system.  I know they have made a lot of sales, and first party games tend to sell well, but that is about all.  Just a thought when thinking about the next system that they will put out and the 3DS.  I have never understood the fervor surrounding the Nintendo faithful, but I consider myself a fan since owning the NES when it first came out.   I just don't have the excitement anymore.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ToadRunner

remember the n64?

that system was awesome!

go get one of those, get some friends and play mario party :)
those are the good nintendo moments !

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@DrakeAsh:  There is a thread on here, the consummate wii games list. I recommend you check it out; then again, you may have moved on and the system isn't for you. Edit: actually that might be hard with the search problem.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

The system just doesn't have the third party support it used to.  That torch is shared between MS and Sony now. 
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Ace829
@DrakeAsh:
 ARE YOU EXCITED NOW!?
 ARE YOU EXCITED NOW!?
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ace829 said:
" @DrakeAsh:
 ARE YOU EXCITED NOW!?
 ARE YOU EXCITED NOW!?
"
ugh don't bring that up, maybe if we collectively ignore it it'll just go away??................ Guess not... 
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Mono_Listo

All of the valid complaints I can think of (valid to me, anyways) revolves around the hardware limitations of the Wii. I still use mine on occasion, but it's basically a glorified Mario, Zelda, and Metroid platform. Which isn't a bad thing, mind you, especially for the price. 

My opinion: fuck what anyone else thinks. If you enjoy it, and the games for it, buy it and play it. 

And I've yet, in my entire life after about 1990, found an actual "fervent Nintendo fan". For so long "Nintendo" was a metaphor for "video game", so I think a lot of casual gamers from my generation just use the term is all.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8  Edited By Symphony

Hmm well I dunno your tastes, but maybe try Muramasa or Monster Hunter Tri or No More Heroes or Fragile or... I dunno... I don't have a Wii, but I've heard of plenty of good games for it. Xenoblade is coming out relatively soon, too, and sounds cool. 

The real question here is: why are you using a TV that doesn't have multiple inputs so you don't have to pack one system away whenever you want to play another one? o.O

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlwaysAngry

The Wii Defense force will be here shortly to- 

Oh shit...who's going to defend the Wii!?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dalai
@AlwaysAngry said:
" The Wii Defense force will be here shortly to-    Oh shit...who's going to defend the Wii!? "
This guy!

I still use the Wii fairly regularly and I'm all psyched for Galaxy 2 and Metroid as probably most Wii owners here are. I say grab a copy of No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, or Monster Hunter 3 if you're into those types of games. And get yourself some Cave Story, one of the best WiiWare games around.
gimpysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By gimpysoup

It seems like the only time i play my wii is when other people are around to play with me.  why cant the wii have games like mass effect 2, borderlands, assassins creed 2, and batman arkham asylum? The wii has some Okay 3rd party games but it seems that the only people who care enough about the wii and developing great games is Nintendo. The last time i can remember playing a great game on the wii was right after the first Mario Galaxy came out.

DrakeAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrakeAsh
@owl_of_minerva:  I have tried a lot of the games, but after packing up the system to move into the house that I am living in now I have not found a reason to connect it again.  I know there are good games out there, I was more commenting on my inability to really get excited about Nintendo anymore.  Maybe it is just that age for me has passed.  I am 31, and have been with Nintendo from the very beginning, but I can't find the spark anymore.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I honestly am with you OP. The Wii has kinda become a joke in terms of serious gamers. I'm not even going to bother with the new Mario Galaxy, I'm just so burned out on Nintendo properties. There hasn't been an original idea out of Nintendo for about 15 years now, and its starting to show.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By agentboolen

Right now the Netflix disc has been in my Wii more then anything else.....  If I could have netflix on the system and not on the disc New Super Mario Bros would be in it (I already beat it but's its a game you can play over and over).  Also I like it for Resident Evil 4, Punch Out and Mario Galaxy 1.  Right now I have a Xbox 360 and a Wii hooked up.  The Wii still is a nice system imo, but yea Nintendo could pick up the slack a little bit.

@ToadRunner said:

" remember the n64?  that system was awesome!  go get one of those, get some friends and play mario party :) those are the good nintendo moments ! "

Yea if it wasn't for Rare that system would have been just like the Wii.  Rare did everything for that system Banjo 1 & 2, Donkey Kong, Perfect Dark and errr even Conkers Bad Fur Day....  O.k. forget the last game it wasn't that good, but I think Rare did more for that system then Nintendo did.

The Big N is a great game developer, I just feel like they take the easy way out a little to much with working on games like Wii Sports where it just doesn't feel like a complete game, just a way to cash in.  If the Big N would focus more on giving us more gems like Mario Galaxy and the Zelda games then I don't think people would complain as much.

Basically i'm in the middle but its hard to give the Big N that much love since they already have gotten a lot of it for not always doing that much..
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EVO
@DrakeAsh said:
" the eminent release of Super Mario Galaxy 2 has me contemplating whether or not I am going to bother with the purchase at all.  I consider myself a lover of the proper Mario titles, and I loved the first Galaxy.  I am just not finding the motivation to get the Wii out of the closet and hook it up. "
Same here. Super Mario Galaxy is easily one of my favourite games this gen yet for some reason I'm not that excited for the sequel. 

Nevertheless I'll still buy it and love the shit out of it.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Coombs
@gimpysoup said:
" It seems like the only time i play my wii is when other people are around to play with me.  why cant the wii have games like mass effect 2, borderlands, assassins creed 2, and batman arkham asylum? The wii has some Okay 3rd party games but it seems that the only people who care enough about the wii and developing great games is Nintendo. The last time i can remember playing a great game on the wii was right after the first Mario Galaxy came out. "
Would you want to play those games on the Wii?
I know I wouldn't.
Don't get me wrong i love my Wii, But like most of you I just rarely play it.....
thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thejamster

at this point I am very sad about how poorly the wii has come along.  The only thing keeping me going on it is Metroid Mario and Zelda but that is probably just because I would probably buy any game in any of those series no matter what the quality