Twitter is Garbage, and Rumors of the Death of Gamers Have Been Greatly Exaggerated.

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

groverat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Bickering over the labels we use to categorize ideas is part of what leads to divisiveness. We are all fairly educated, so we're used to nitpicking language choices, but the idea that we actively choose to sacrifice shared sentiment on the altar of diction is, in this climate, distressing.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@groverat: I always like to hear opinions that differ from my own so I would be more then happy to talk to you about such things.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By Milkman

@anund said:

@theht said:
@anund said:

I think the clearest sign something is wrong with the feminist movement is that the term MRA is used as a derogatory term. If feminism was all about equality, surely someone highlighting the issues faced by men would be more than welcome.

That is not the case, thus the feminist movement has strayed off course. We need a new movement. Equalism, or something. A movement that focuses on the real injustices of the world. Equal pay for equal work. No more ridiculous divorce settlements, etc.

And sexuality in games is not discrimination against women. That that is even the general consensus stems from some kind of ancient view of women as pristine flowers. It's bullshit.

That's exactly the sort of stuff I traditionally associated with feminism. To be honest, I'm more inclined to reclaim that word from anyone who uses it to mean some sort of gender superiority than I am to fully adopt a renaming to something like "social humanist" or whatever.

But really, the ideology is more than just a name. If you're for equality, it doesn't much matter what you call yourself. You can call a spade a zebra, but it's still a spade. That's a saying right? Fuck it, it is now.

There are too many people misusing the term "feminism" for it to be reclaimed. And beyond the moderates, there is no one interested in even acknowledging that everything is not rosy just because you're a white male. That is why Emma Watson's UN speech was so well received, she included everyone, acknowledged the issues on all sides. That is how we progress from this point: We make it a common struggle, we don't focus on the problems of one side and try to force the other side to "yield". That leads to conflict rather than cooperation and without cooperation we will be right here, in this same spot 50 years from now still. That is what vocal feminists do, however, they want to stir up a conflict. Sometimes I think they are more interested in the shitstorm than the results.

Feminism is also too focused on minor issues. "This digital character's shirt was too unbuttoned!". Really? Really? This is what is important?

And that is why we need a new movement, one we can all get behind, one who represents us all equally. The term "feminism" has been tainted beyond repair in my mind. Besides, the word itself implies a focus on women's issues, while what we need is a focus on all issues of equality.

The last thing we need is a bunch of men who barely understand what feminist means to try to "reclaim" feminism.

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#104  Edited By omghisam

I am in favor of "We'll take over from here, ladies."-ism

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#105  Edited By TheHT

@truthtellah said:
@theht said:
@truthtellah said:
@theht said:

@truthtellah: Well, yeah. I was responding to someone who had an issue with the "feminist movement". What problem where are you talking about?

You mentioned your perception of feminism, and I asked if the problem was actually feminism. Because, could it instead be possible that your perception of feminism is misled or mistaken? If that may be the case, the problem would be less with feminism and more with how a lot of people are influenced to feel about it in our cultures.

And besides that, what does it have to do with the thread? heh. I mean, the very nature of feminism is a pretty big topic for a thread that seemed to at least primarily be about the recent online kerfuffle in gaming.

Influenced to feel about it? I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at here. Feminism is fundamentally about equality. I'm not sure why you think that understanding was misled or is mistaken. I didn't extract my understanding of feminism from the perception of it in our culture.

It's relevant on my end in so far as I was responding to someone who brought it up. If I had to guess, I'd say they brought it up because the OP made mention of "female supremacists".

If you really want to get into it, I'm referring to the prevailing problems which feminism has set out to unravel. In particular being institutional and pervasive sexism in a patriarchal society. The insidious nature and unfortunate impact of long-standing prejudice built into the world around us. It's the historical legacy and larger culture which influences us from the day we are born. It's why sexism is still such a detrimental force across the world today, and internalized sexism even influences women raised to buy into sexist ideology.

Large symbols of that prejudice have been torn down in various countries over the years, particularly with women's suffrage and other civil rights, but such progress hasn't meant a sweeping institutional change relieving the world of such enduring prejudice. Outside of how oppressed women still are in much of the world, there remain significant problems and challenges for women in even relatively progressive countries like the United States or Canada and regions like Europe. Problems born of centuries and even millennia of inequality sadly can't be undone in just a few years. And it is that daunting challenge which requires a forceful effort.

None of us are free from the influences of such prejudice, as @spacekatgal mentioned on GB yesterday, and awareness of influences and flaws in ourselves helps us to potentially rise above them for the sake of ourselves and those around us. So, when I refer to the potential that the problem may be many people being influenced against feminism instead of the problem really being feminism, that's the wider influence I am talking about.

It's a rather large and expansive legacy with unfortunate remnants within all of us regardless of great progress in the past, and it's worth considering when reflecting on a topic such as this.

So are you suggesting that I'm unable to recognize this, or did you just want to make this point? Cause you haven't really told me anything I didn't already know, and I'm still a bit confused as to what you were trying to get at by addressing all of this towards me.

If you just wanted to put all this out there though, it's cool.

@milkman said:

The last thing we need a bunch of men who barely understand what feminist means to try to "reclaim" feminism.

Yes, someone that barely understands feminism trying to weild the name for their own twisted ideals would indeed be awful.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found this post fairly reasonable even If I don't agree with all of it. The crazy incendiary response really drives home the point of how shitty discussions like these always end up being on the internet.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Anund

@milkman said:

@anund said:

@theht said:
@anund said:

I think the clearest sign something is wrong with the feminist movement is that the term MRA is used as a derogatory term. If feminism was all about equality, surely someone highlighting the issues faced by men would be more than welcome.

That is not the case, thus the feminist movement has strayed off course. We need a new movement. Equalism, or something. A movement that focuses on the real injustices of the world. Equal pay for equal work. No more ridiculous divorce settlements, etc.

And sexuality in games is not discrimination against women. That that is even the general consensus stems from some kind of ancient view of women as pristine flowers. It's bullshit.

That's exactly the sort of stuff I traditionally associated with feminism. To be honest, I'm more inclined to reclaim that word from anyone who uses it to mean some sort of gender superiority than I am to fully adopt a renaming to something like "social humanist" or whatever.

But really, the ideology is more than just a name. If you're for equality, it doesn't much matter what you call yourself. You can call a spade a zebra, but it's still a spade. That's a saying right? Fuck it, it is now.

There are too many people misusing the term "feminism" for it to be reclaimed. And beyond the moderates, there is no one interested in even acknowledging that everything is not rosy just because you're a white male. That is why Emma Watson's UN speech was so well received, she included everyone, acknowledged the issues on all sides. That is how we progress from this point: We make it a common struggle, we don't focus on the problems of one side and try to force the other side to "yield". That leads to conflict rather than cooperation and without cooperation we will be right here, in this same spot 50 years from now still. That is what vocal feminists do, however, they want to stir up a conflict. Sometimes I think they are more interested in the shitstorm than the results.

Feminism is also too focused on minor issues. "This digital character's shirt was too unbuttoned!". Really? Really? This is what is important?

And that is why we need a new movement, one we can all get behind, one who represents us all equally. The term "feminism" has been tainted beyond repair in my mind. Besides, the word itself implies a focus on women's issues, while what we need is a focus on all issues of equality.

The last thing we need is a bunch of men who barely understand what feminist means to try to "reclaim" feminism.

Yeah, we all know this is a women vs. men issue, we don't want any cooperation or anything. Letting man filth in would indeed undermine the whole thing.

...and this is exactly why feminism is a dead cause.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voysa_reezun: Neither of those definitions really describe someone who believes in equal pay for women. I'm sure many (most?) humanists do believe in equal pay but that isn't what makes them humanists.

I know it sucks having to admit you stuck your foot in your mouth in such a spectacular fashion, but this is the time to admit you were wrong and move on, not dig your hole even deeper.

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#110  Edited By omghisam

@anund said:

@teaoverlord said:

@voysa_reezun: Neither of those definitions really describe someone who believes in equal pay for women. I'm sure many (most?) humanists do believe in equal pay but that isn't what makes them humanists.

I know it sucks having to admit you stuck your foot in your mouth in such a spectacular fashion, but this is the time to admit you were wrong and move on, not dig your hole even deeper.

No he's right. Take an intro course to philosophy, humanism is a thing that already has a meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_humanism_in_Northern_Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Humanism

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omghisam said:

@anund said:

@teaoverlord said:

No he's right. Take an intro course to philosophy, humanism is a thing that already has a meaning.

I don't need an intro course to philosophy to be able to google the definition of humanism.

1. any system or mode of thought or action in which human interests,values, and dignity predominate.

A mode of thought centered on human values, interests and dignity. Equal pay for equal work definitely falls under either of those categories. Is feminism a more special case? Yes. But that is exactly the distinction the original poster wanted to make. Why is this discussion going in circles? Oh yeah, because we're online discussing feminism.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@shinjin977: You make a good point, however it's not so much a case of trying to take away a person's "identity" (which must be incredibly flimsy if it is so reliant in a single term to warrant death threats when said label comes under critical scrutiny): it's more a case of trying to get rid of the negative, socially outcast image that the term perpetrates.

Take @heyguys's examples, for instance. The term foodie is bullshit for a lot of reasons - one of them being the fact that we all love food, granting that specific label a particularly arrogant undertone - but it is not detrimental to the food industry. "Gamers", unlike "film buffs", or "readers", have a very specific stereotype attributed to them. They are often perceived in the mass media as something close to social pariahs. It's a reductive label with detrimental effects, that hamper the growth and maturity of this industry into something bigger, better, and more widespread.

To strengthen my point: I challenge you to count how many press conferences, trailers, PR spokespeople, or other verbal forms of marketing specifically namedrop "movie buffs" or "foodies". The prevalence of the term "gamer" in the video-game industry proves a lot about it, and makes its effect all the more noxious. It turns this industry into one that markets to itself.

It's not a term worth keeping just for the sake of teenagers and young adults who seek an "identity" by, ironically, branding themselves as part of a larger group/cult, which, as you pointed out, is precisely what happens, and why people in said group lash out against entirely valid arguments so aggressively.

Perhaps a lot of young people would be better off developing their self-trust in more coherent ways, but that's besides this discussion. I'm not saying "fuck you, stop labelling yourselves" because I hate the people who are doing so, I simply despise the effect said label has on this industry. I want that label to end already, or, less preferably, to radically change facet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

In this thread, someone states what they identify as, and someone ridiculed them and accused them of sexism because that person said they weren't a feminist. Even when it's something as personal and impossible to argue such as what someone persobally identifies as, even when the person says they believe in the same things as the in-group, failing to agree that you're a member of the in-group means that you're a ignorant, mansplaining asshole.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#116 sweep  Moderator

@promanari:

Courtesy of xkcd.

No Caption Provided

This is fantastic.

Over the last few weeks we've tried to be as accommodating to as many viewpoints as possible, and I think the consequent discussion has been beneficial to all involved. Having said that, we aren't robots, and we're now getting to the point where everyone is pretty fed up of hearing about the same arguments over and over again. That's why we've declared the next week to be exclusively Sunshine and Smiles.

Get involved.

ragnarok7038

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anund said:

@omghisam said:

@anund said:

@teaoverlord said:

I don't need an intro course to philosophy to be able to google the definition of humanism.

1. any system or mode of thought or action in which human interests,values, and dignity predominate.

A mode of thought centered on human values, interests and dignity. Equal pay for equal work definitely falls under either of those categories. Is feminism a more special case? Yes. But that is exactly the distinction the original poster wanted to make. Why is this discussion going in circles? Oh yeah, because we're online discussing feminism.

FFS, the word you're looking for is egalitarianism, not humanism. Humanism is centered on promoting human values and opposing things that dehumanize individuals, not things that don't promote equality. You literally gave the definition and then disregarded exactly what it said.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118  Edited By sweep  Moderator

OK, the last few posts in here have been increasingly off-topic, rude and generally just silly. I'm locking it, and I'm going to re-iterate that it's sunshine and smiles week. Yaay!

No Caption Provided