Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club FAQ and Game Suggestion Thread

• 74 results
bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Any new nominations from anyone before I put the voting thread up?

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I would like to nominate Unpacking and TMNT: Shredder's Revenge.

Unpacking is a game about unpacking and arranging your belongings in various homes you live in throughout your life. HLTB has it around 3.5 hours.

TMNT is a side-scrolling beat em up, similar to games of the genre that flourished in the 90's. It took me 2ish hours to beat with friends.

It's too bad that most of the Gamepass releases recently are for longer games (Yakuzas, Omori, Chorus).

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to nominate As Dusk Falls for the next voting. It's described as a original interactive drama that explores the entangled lives of two families across thirty years. It seems to have a different art style that focuses on style and still imagery over animation. Typical runtime seems to be 6-7 hours.

I'll also nominate Inside. It's a sidescrolling platform puzzler from Playdead similar to the game that put them on the map (Limbo). It takes 3+ hours to complete.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am once again soliciting game nominations and any suggestions on how to improve the club. Interest seems to be falling off and I'm not sure if it's just that people aren't finding it interesting, if the games aren't engaging, or if there's some way the process can be improved.

Thanks!

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By noboners

As I mentioned in the last vote, I feel like maybe people just aren't excited by the current slate of games or are busy playing other releases and don't have the time to take on a random game. The only change I would suggest is that we should allow for the inclusion of games that are going to be released near the end of the voting period. I don't see the harm in letting people discover if a game is for them prior to reading reviews other than not fully knowing the length of the game. But either way, I'm still here to suggest a couple more games that have been released already for the next vote!

1. Midnight Fight Express is an isometric beat em up game with combat that people like to compare to the Batman: Arkham games. HLTB has it at around 4.5 hours.

2. Coffee Talk is a game about listening to people's problems and help them by serving a warm drink out of the ingredients you have. HLTB lists a roughly 4 hour completion time.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would like to nominate IMMORTALITY for the next voting cycle, as it was released on Game Pass earlier this week. I only watched enough Telling Lies to know I would absolutely hate it, and I’d like to experience this new game fresh (then talk about it here).

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game Pass has been busy lately with the adds, so here are more suggestions (with HLTB times):

1. Metal Hellsinger (4 hours mainline, 7 hours completionist)

2. You Suck at Parking (not listed)

3. Tinykin (6 hours mainline, 9 hours completionist)

I'd also be up for Deathloop, but we might need to make that a double cycle or something. HLTB lists it as 16 hours mainline and 35 hours completionist, but also it would probably catch a decent amount of interest.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One more suggestion: SOMA was added last week, and HLTB says it takes 10 hours for “all playstyles”. I’m not sure if Safe Mode takes significantly shorter, but people have praised that addition enough that I might use it.

matthewgm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know everyone and their dog has probably beaten Undertale already, but I haven't! It's apparently 6 hours for a basic playthrough

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since we got some more Game Pass additions recently, thought I’d add to the pool of games again:

Signalis (10 hours all styles): survival horror in the vein of Playstation 1 games, particularly the first couple of Silent Hills. No tank controls, thank god.

Return to Monkey Island (12 hours main plus extras): classic point and click with good sense of humor.

Somerville (4 hours main plus extras): 2D-ish platformer / puzzler akin to Limbo and Inside. Bakalar said he finished this game in a single sitting.

NORCO (7 hours main plus extras): another point and click, set in the New Orleans area in a dystopian near future. I can vouch for the authenticity of the setting (family lives there), and Alex Navarro says this is almost certainly his GOTY.

I would have included Pentiment but the playtime is a fair chunk longer than the other games. If that’s no issue, I think everyone should check out Pentiment.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: Okay since nobody voted yet I added these. But we all remember you're the knave/rapscallion who voted for games he had already played.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to throw out a single nomination for the next voting cycle:

The Legend of Tianding: Castlevania-like with a pretty slick looking style that reminds me a little of Viewtiful Joe, hltb lists it at 5-8 hours

jazzylament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69  Edited By jazzylament

@bigsocrates: this is an awesome thing you've been running that I just found out about! :D I'm loading up tinykin again after having left it in the dust after the deluge of games late year so I'm excited to have motivation to actually finish it.

In addition to the forums, do you think it's also possible/worthwhile to organize a group chat on one of the GB Discord channels after the completion date? I used to be part of a comic book club that did something similar and it was great fun just being able to verbally talk with people and make new friends that way :)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazzylament: There has been discussion of a Discord in the past. I'm not against it if a lot of people want it, but I don't really use Discord personally and part of the intent of the club is to allow people to drop in and out asynchronously. But yeah if there's momentum for a Discord subchannel or something that's obviously a good idea.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

I bet I'm going to regret some of these nominations.

Shadow Warrior 3 (5 Hours Main Story) - Over-the-top FPS with more personality than is good for it

Mortal Shell (10 Hour Main Story?) - Soulsbourne-lite Action RPG

Chinatown Detective Agency (6 Hour Main Story) - Adventure game with neo-noir aesthetics

Beacon Pines (5 Hour Main Story) - Narrative Adventure game with a storybook aesthetic

Ghost Song (9 Hour Main Story) - Spooky sci-fi metroidvania

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (2 Hour Main Story??) - Cheeky Roguelike hack-and-slash

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undertale is leaving Game Pass soon, so I’d like to de-nominate it for the biweekly vote. Guess I need to figure out a new first ballot entry…

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couple of recent releases could go on the list:

Merge & Blade (7 Hour Main Story) - Puzzle/Tactics/Fantasy

Infinite Guitars (7 Hour Main Story) - Stylish Rhythm RPG

Goat Simulator (2 Hour Main Story if there is such a thing) - eh, why not

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's been some fresh meat the last month.

Dordogne (3 Hour Main Story) - Artistic Narrative Adventure game

Amnesia: The Bunker (4 Hour Main Story) - Spooky-hidey Horror game

The Big Con (4 Hour Main Story) - Narrative Adventure game with punk zine Aesthetic

Slayers X (3 Hour Main Story) - Parody Boomer Shooter

Planet of Lana (4 Hour Main Story) - Sci-fi side scrolling Puzzle Platformer

Supraland: Six Inches Under (8 Hour Main Story) - Metroidvania First Person Puzzle game

Eastern Exorcist (5 Hour Main Story) - 2D Action game

Ravenlok (3 Hour Main Story) - 3D Action game

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By noboners

Here's a list of new nominees:

Solar Ash (5 hour main story) - Adventure platforming game by the people who developed Hyper Light Drifter.

Gris (3 hour main story) - Relaxing platform puzzler which won a few awards when it released in 2019.

Quake 2 (7 hour main story) - It's Quake 2, but new again!

Venba (1 hour main story) - Narrative cooking game about an Indian family who immigrates to Canada in the 80s.

A Short Hike (1 hour main story) - Adventure exploration game about hiking up a mountain.

Broforce (7 hour main story) - Side-scrolling Run-and-Gun platformer. Recently got an update, I think.

Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem (4 hour main story) - First person shooter that loves to send lots of enemies at you at once.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: Thanks. I'll add these. I also kind of want to add Battletoads 2020 because it's so polarizing and the right length. Then again I guess the original Battletoads is technically on Game Pass too.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I AM ADDING COCOON AND NONE OF YOU JAMOKES CAN STOP ME!!! MWAHAHAHA! I AM MAD WITH (almost zero) POWER!

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some more nominees after looking through recent additions to the service. All times from HLTB under the "main + extras" row:

Close to the Sun (5 hours) - horror-puzzler with middling reviews

Figment (5.5 hours) - action-adventure centered around music and a distinctive art style

Rollerdrome (7.5 hours) - third-person shooter where you perform skating tricks to keep going

Spirit of the North: Enhanced Edition (6 hours) - adventure game with mixed reviews

Steamworld Build (14.5 hours) - city-building dungeon crawler, I'm pretty sure it's available on both PC and console

Tin Hearts (???) - puzzle adventure game where you guide soldiers through obstacles; no clue how long it is so maybe disqualified?