Useful tip time! PS3 Controller -> PC

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By nikral

So I got Darksiders for PC awhile ago and decided it needs a controller to play, so I go on an adventure to find a good one that will work. 

Along my adventures I asked myself, how would I use my xbox controller on PC...long story short I need either a wireless adapter or a wired controller....$$$ I have to spend. 
Then I think what about my PS3! it has a USB cord that it charges with, and guess what not only does it work! It works amazing!! It has rumble, dual analog AND Sixaxis support!

Here is a link to a step by step instruction with links to download.  http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/install/latest  
The program requires constant internet connection to work, but don't fret there is a link at the bottom of the page to enable full offline mode.

You might be asking why it works amazing well let me tell you a story. I decided to test out the program and the first game that came to mind was Dirt 2. After installing it and everything I go into the game and discover there is no preset for my controller :( So I had to manually set all the buttons myself, but that still left me having to use the keyboard for menus and the flashback.  I wouldn't stand for this, so I did a little research. What I found was a very interesting and awesome tip. With this program you can EMULATE the PS3 controller to a Xbox 360 controller, as well as PS2,PS1 and even custom ones. So I went right ahead and did that, and you know what it worked FLAWLESSLY, Dirt 2 detected the "Xbox controller" and I was controlling everything with the controller, it even had rumble support!  

Hopefully this is useful to some people and maybe will save some people money. I figure if I had this problem someone else must too!    

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nikral

So I got Darksiders for PC awhile ago and decided it needs a controller to play, so I go on an adventure to find a good one that will work. 

Along my adventures I asked myself, how would I use my xbox controller on PC...long story short I need either a wireless adapter or a wired controller....$$$ I have to spend. 
Then I think what about my PS3! it has a USB cord that it charges with, and guess what not only does it work! It works amazing!! It has rumble, dual analog AND Sixaxis support!

Here is a link to a step by step instruction with links to download.  http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/install/latest  
The program requires constant internet connection to work, but don't fret there is a link at the bottom of the page to enable full offline mode.

You might be asking why it works amazing well let me tell you a story. I decided to test out the program and the first game that came to mind was Dirt 2. After installing it and everything I go into the game and discover there is no preset for my controller :( So I had to manually set all the buttons myself, but that still left me having to use the keyboard for menus and the flashback.  I wouldn't stand for this, so I did a little research. What I found was a very interesting and awesome tip. With this program you can EMULATE the PS3 controller to a Xbox 360 controller, as well as PS2,PS1 and even custom ones. So I went right ahead and did that, and you know what it worked FLAWLESSLY, Dirt 2 detected the "Xbox controller" and I was controlling everything with the controller, it even had rumble support!  

Hopefully this is useful to some people and maybe will save some people money. I figure if I had this problem someone else must too!    

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

I've been using this for a while now and it's a great way to save some money if that's what people feel like doing. 
I like it a lot since I'm more used to the Dual Shock controller compared to my 360 controller so it all works out in the end for me. 

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nikral

I found one little problem that when I disconnected my controller from the PC it would turn on my PS3. But a little search brought up there is a disconnect button in the program. Phew!

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zero_

Yeah MotionInJoy is awesome, I did my runthrough on Super Meat Boy with my PS3 controller hooked up. 

Needle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Needle

For the record, I have gotten Motionjoy to work at time in the past, but sometimes installing the drivers gives me a fair amount of trouble. I'm not saying it gives EVERYONE trouble, but be forewarned, installation may end up being a pain in the ass.

That said, once you get Motionjoy working, it really does rock hard.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I'd rather spend the money and use a 360 controller. It's a better controller all around, and has native drivers so all I really have to do is plug it in. I'm pretty sure most games don't support sixaxis on the PC, so I don't really care about fan-implemented uses for it. It's bad enough when people who know what their doing put it in games. 

Considering it's a Bluetooth controller, can you use it wirelessly?

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@MordeaniisChaos said:
" I'd rather spend the money and use a 360 controller. It's a better controller all around, and has native drivers so all I really have to do is plug it in. I'm pretty sure most games don't support sixaxis on the PC, so I don't really care about fan-implemented uses for it. It's bad enough when people who know what their doing put it in games.  Considering it's a Bluetooth controller, can you use it wirelessly? "
In games that have 360 pad support already (which is most of them these days), it works flawlessly. You just select the option in the program to emulate 360 inputs and remap as needed. Loved playing Dead Space with it.

Never figured out how to make the Bluetooth functionality go, but it's certainly possible.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@528seven: Flawlessly is plugging it in and having it work. You just described what I have to do to play emulated games with a controller. So for you to play emulated games with the PS3 controller, you'd have two layers of it. I'm sure it works fine, but between the triggers and analog sticks on the 360 controller being far more comfortable and practical (IMO), I'd still gladly pay the extra money for a wireless adapter.

And I'd prefer wireless over anything, and the 360 controller is pretty much a sure bet for working wired or wireless. I have enough wires sprouting out of my PC.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By NTM

That's neat. Nice find.
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MordeaniisChaos said:

" @528seven: Flawlessly is plugging it in and having it work. You just described what I have to do to play emulated games with a controller. So for you to play emulated games with the PS3 controller, you'd have two layers of it. I'm sure it works fine, but between the triggers and analog sticks on the 360 controller being far more comfortable and practical (IMO), I'd still gladly pay the extra money for a wireless adapter. And I'd prefer wireless over anything, and the 360 controller is pretty much a sure bet for working wired or wireless. I have enough wires sprouting out of my PC. "

Well, I do prefer the Dualshock so I'm willing to do a bit of extra work to use it, but after you set it up for the first time it's really nothing. I guess there's no point if you own a 360 pad and like it better, but for those of us who don't like it/don't own it, this is an awesome solution.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@528seven said:
" @MordeaniisChaos said:
" @528seven: Flawlessly is plugging it in and having it work. You just described what I have to do to play emulated games with a controller. So for you to play emulated games with the PS3 controller, you'd have two layers of it. I'm sure it works fine, but between the triggers and analog sticks on the 360 controller being far more comfortable and practical (IMO), I'd still gladly pay the extra money for a wireless adapter. And I'd prefer wireless over anything, and the 360 controller is pretty much a sure bet for working wired or wireless. I have enough wires sprouting out of my PC. "
Well, I do prefer the Dualshock so I'm willing to do a bit of extra work to use it, but once you set it up for the first time it's really nothing. I guess there's no point if you own a 360 pad and like it better, but for those of us who don't like it/don't own it, this is an awesome solution. "
Exactly, I don't own a 360 controller so using the PS3 controller (which I prefer) is in my best interest.
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Cwaff

I had a problem with this program bluescreening my  pc when I stuck in a 360 controller... but after a bit of fiddling they both work together!

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By zidd

I have never gotten the ps3 controller to work consistently on a 64 bit os over either USB or Bluetooth. I picked up one of those wireless 360 controller adapters that Microsoft put out a while ago and it works really well.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By buft
@Nikral: why does it need constant internet connection? that would worry me.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" I'd rather spend the money and use a 360 controller. It's a better controller all around, and has native drivers so all I really have to do is plug it in. I'm pretty sure most games don't support sixaxis on the PC, so I don't really care about fan-implemented uses for it. It's bad enough when people who know what their doing put it in games.  Considering it's a Bluetooth controller, can you use it wirelessly? "
The PS3 controller triggers are better for racing games.   Also, the d-pad is better on the PS3 controller.  Racing games and old school games are the main reasons I'd use a gamepad on a PC.  I have a wheel but I'm sometimes too lazy to attach it to the desk. 
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nikral
@buft: Not sure maybe for ad support or something, but if it worries you so much just download the local files (can be found at bottom of link) and switch over whenever you load it up. 
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I used a PS2 controller and a inPin converter. Works fine.

paudle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By paudle

Interesting it seems they have fixed lots of bugs and even signed it for the 64 bit version. I may look into putting this on my pc now.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @MordeaniisChaos said:
The PS3 controller triggers are better for racing games.   Also, the d-pad is better on the PS3 controller.  Racing games and old school games are the main reasons I'd use a gamepad on a PC.  I have a wheel but I'm sometimes too lazy to attach it to the desk.  "
What? No, the triggers are way too shallow, and the sticks too loose. You need more finesse with a racing game. I'd much rather have a better range of throttle and brake control and a tighter stick for racing games.@528seven said:
" @MordeaniisChaos said:

Well, I do prefer the Dualshock so I'm willing to do a bit of extra work to use it, but after you set it up for the first time it's really nothing. I guess there's no point if you own a 360 pad and like it better, but for those of us who don't like it/don't own it, this is an awesome solution. "
Obviously if your preference/availability goes either way that should be the deciding factor, but the implementation of the 360 controller is clearly better, and if you have both available (like I do), I'd say the 360 controller is better. I've known of cases where the PS3 controller didn't work for people, and I don't know if you've spent the same amount of time with a 360 controller as a Playstation controller, but I find most people who aren't just stuck on PS controllers because of experience, actually prefer the 360 pad because it actually does things like chose between triggers and buttons (rather than sacrificing the control of triggers for precision of buttons or vis versa, they sacrifice both half way and end up with something not as quick as a button and not as flexible as a proper trigger) and the dam thing actually being ergonomic. The only major plus to the PS3 controller is weight, and I actually prefer weight with the way I hold a controller so the PS3 controller always feels weird. 
Just out of curiosity, when it's emulating a 360 controller, does the sixaxis still function in any meaningful way? Can you map that to something in particular?
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@MordeaniisChaos said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @MordeaniisChaos said:

The PS3 controller triggers are better for racing games.   Also, the d-pad is better on the PS3 controller.  Racing games and old school games are the main reasons I'd use a gamepad on a PC.  I have a wheel but I'm sometimes too lazy to attach it to the desk.  "
What? No, the triggers are way too shallow, and the sticks too loose. You need more finesse with a racing game. I'd much rather have a better range of throttle and brake control and a tighter stick for racing games. @528seven said:

PS3 controller "triggers" are shaped more like pedals.  Xbox triggers are shaped like gun triggers.   It takes far less motion to completely depress an Xbox trigger, unless your finger is on the bottom edge.  It's the PS3 controller that give you more *precision* with a racing game.  Do you even own a PS3 controller? o_O  EDIT: ...or rather, do you play racing games (hydro thunder hurricane doesn't count)?  I'm thinking of Codemasters racers, GT or sim-like games where you have to be precise with acceleration and breaking.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By tourgen
@buft said:
" @Nikral: why does it need constant internet connection? that would worry me. "
yes that's very strange.  Has anyone taken a look at the packets it's sending with wireshark yet?
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MordeaniisChaos said:
Obviously if your preference/availability goes either way that should be the deciding factor, but the implementation of the 360 controller is clearly better, and if you have both available (like I do), I'd say the 360 controller is better. I've known of cases where the PS3 controller didn't work for people, and I don't know if you've spent the same amount of time with a 360 controller as a Playstation controller, but I find most people who aren't just stuck on PS controllers because of experience, actually prefer the 360 pad because it actually does things like chose between triggers and buttons (rather than sacrificing the control of triggers for precision of buttons or vis versa, they sacrifice both half way and end up with something not as quick as a button and not as flexible as a proper trigger) and the dam thing actually being ergonomic. The only major plus to the PS3 controller is weight, and I actually prefer weight with the way I hold a controller so the PS3 controller always feels weird. Just out of curiosity, when it's emulating a 360 controller, does the sixaxis still function in any meaningful way? Can you map that to something in particular? "
I owned a 360 well before I owned a PS3 (though of course I had a PS2 before either of them) and I still prefer the Dualshock in everything but the triggers. It's a little odd to me that people who like the 360 pad always try to argue that it's objectively better or something. It's all preference.

As for the sixaxis, I think that's mappable but I haven't tried it.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@teh_pwnzorer said: "unless your finger is on the bottom edge"  Uh, yes. Exactly. That is exactly what I do. Most people don't ride the triggers really high unless they are playing twitchy shooters. And the same is also true of the PS3, it's just not as far down because the triggers are super short. And at the max for both, the 360 controller has the advantage.
And yes, I'd played racing games on a PS3. And I didn't like the triggers compared to the 360. 
And your using fingers, not your feet, so the shape isn't that important. And neither really are shaped anything like pedals in a car. Arguing about the best controller for a sim racing gaming between gamepads is much the same as the same argument for a fighting game. Neither works any where near as well as a proprietary controller. 

I own both consoles, and have had both for about the same amount of time. And I probably played PS2 more than anything before this generation but didn't own anything before these consoles.

Ok,  is actually the best console controller out there. 
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@528seven:      It's more ergonomic, has deeper triggers, and tighter, more comfortably positioned sticks. In just about any game those are better. Every 360 controller has rumble support. The color coding on the face buttons is much better, making it easier to pick up as a new user not used to using a gamepad. While preference is a big factor, there are still things that are generally better for the majority of people.  

Also, a PS2 controller is a PS3 controller without sixaxis. They feel VERY similar. So you kind of screwed your argument from the beginning. Most people are like you. They had a console before the 360, and most people had PS2s. 
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MordeaniisChaos said:

" @528seven:      It's more ergonomic, has deeper triggers, and tighter, more comfortably positioned sticks. In just about any game those are better. Every 360 controller has rumble support. The color coding on the face buttons is much better, making it easier to pick up as a new user not used to using a gamepad. While preference is a big factor, there are still things that are generally better for the majority of people.    
Also, a PS2 controller is a PS3 controller without sixaxis. They feel VERY similar. So you kind of screwed your argument from the beginning. Most people are like you. They had a console before the 360, and most people had PS2s. 
"

...Wait, I think I lost track. What argument was I making that was 'screwed'? 

I don't think I denied that having used previous Dualshocks affected my opinion of the DS3 at all. But I don't prefer it out of ignorance of the 360 controller as you were implying either.
abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By abdo
@MordeaniisChaos:  Yeesh, I didn't know there were controller fanboys.

"Also, a PS2 controller is a PS3 controller without sixaxis. They feel VERY similar. So you kind of screwed your argument from the beginning. "

So that makes it a bad controller because it's a clone of another great controller? "Screwed your argument"? It's all about preference. They're both good controllers. Trying to say one is better than the other is juvenile.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@abdo said:

" @MordeaniisChaos:  Yeesh, I didn't know there were controller fanboys.

"Also, a PS2 controller is a PS3 controller without sixaxis. They feel VERY similar. So you kind of screwed your argument from the beginning. "
So that makes it a bad controller because it's a clone of another great controller? "Screwed your argument"? It's all about preference. They're both good controllers. Trying to say one is better than the other is juvenile. "
No, juvenile is saying that comparing a controller you've used since the PS2 days to a controller you've used since the very end of 2005 is a fair comparison. I use a PS3 all the time, and the controller is great. But in my experience, just about everyone without the bias of normalization prefers the 360 controller. I never said that the PS3 controller was bad. It works fine. I've played everything from GT to Metal Gear to Ratchet and Clank to CoD, and it all feels fine on the PS3 controller. However, on the 360 controller, those games or equivalents on the 360 feel much better thanks to the gamepad.  If you spend a decade getting used to dualshock controllers and then you compare the 360 controller to the dualshock, your biased by having spent so much time with one vs the other. 
@528seven:
  You used the dualshock longer. Your more used to it, and that could very easily sway your preference a great deal. It's like driving a car for 6 years, and then suddenly you have to drive one with super touchy pedals and even though it isn't necessarily worse, you probably won't like it as much as the other unless you spend a long time using only that car and stop using the other one almost entirely. The difference may not be huge between the controllers, but I know at least 10 people who didn't get into console gaming until THIS generation, and started playing PS3 and 360 games at pretty much the same time, and all but 1 prefer the 360 controller. It fits better in the hand, it feels more substantial, the buttons feel more solid, the sticks more precise, the triggers have a much wider range, and it may only be a bit different, but it's enough that most people I know who didn't own a dual shock before the 360 came out would take a 360 controller over a PS3 controller any day of the week. 

And I'm willing to bet that if some tool came in here who only used the dual shock for the last couple of months and had used the 360 controller since launch spewing shit about how the dualshock just doesn't compare you'd make the same fuckin' argument I'm making. You can like whatever you want, but I'm not talking about what you like, I'm talking about what generally performs better in a controlled environment. Yes, there are exceptions, and maybe some of the people here are in that group. But within and beyond my social circle, people without the bias of significant time almost always seem to prefer the 360 controller. They don't hate the PS3 controller, which has plenty going for it, like always being wireless, being much lighter, having Sixaxis, having a less shitty D-Pad, etc. But most of those things have a pretty limited effect on the day to day gaming experience. Even with a great D-Pad, neither would be good for a fighting game. Racing games? Way better with a wheel and pedals.