Video and Audio Capture of your TV

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

I was wondering what you use to do this?
What do Giant Bomb use?
Is there anybody else who does stuff like this?

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By matpaget

bump

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shiftymagician

Don't bump please.  There are two common ways of doing this.  

There are dedicated capture devices that will receive any device you connect to it (such as a console), and record what it receives to the hard drive within it.  Usually there will be the ability to copy these recordings to a drive via usb connection, and from there you can edit the raw footage in a computer.  

Computer TV capture cards also have the ability to do the same thing, though it requires modifying the computer a little bit.  You have to be sure you have a spare PCI-E slot, as well as know how to add a new card into said slot.  It is actually easy to do, however if you lack the experience you would need some help from someone else.

Giant Bomb will do something similar to this, however in a more complex manner depending on how they rigged it all up.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Branthog

It depends what kind of quality you want. I suspect that Giant Bomb uses the expensive Digital Foundry equipment made just for this -- and you can't afford it. You can get cheap solutions for this which are advertised all over the place, but they usually have very poor quality. I looked into this for quite awhile some time back and decided that the complexity and paucity of options made it something I was no longer interested in bothering with. That said, you might be interested in checking out the "Black Magic" card which is only a couple hundred bucks and will capture HD as long as your system is beefy enough to handle it.