Video Comment +1 Equivalent

Rudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'd like to see a GB equivalent of the Google +1 on a per comment basis per video. Then allow us to sort the comments list by popularity. It's not that I don't want to scroll through all the comments to read the really great ones, but... I guess I kinda don't. Perhaps we'd clean up the chatter on each video if more people contributed with a +1 type reply versus feeling a need to post a new comment/reply. So many times I just want to give kudos to a great comment, but is a "Reply" with a "LOL" really necessary?

What does everyone else think?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Why not, if it's purely +1 or nothing sure. As long as it's not an upvote/downvote type thing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Disagree. Then it turns the comments section into a snarky battlefield for who can accumulate the most +1 ratings.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would like something like that.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Disagree. Then it turns the comments section into a snarky battlefield for who can accumulate the most +1 ratings.

Second. Let people comment for the sake of sharing their opinion, and let the discussion evolve naturally from there.

Rudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah @Primus I agree completely... Downvotes turn evil real soon.

@FluxWaveZ I'm not sure why it'd be scary or detrimental to help call out comments that our community consider worthy. If somebody makes a comment that gets a lot of +1s then how is that a bad thing? I'm not on these forums very often (Yup, I'm waiting on SimCity), but I hope our community is better than that.

venessa2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It is a pure google +1 if you share your blogs on google.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@rudy said:

Yeah @Primus I agree completely... Downvotes turn evil real soon.

@FluxWaveZ I'm not sure why it'd be scary or detrimental to help call out comments that our community consider worthy. If somebody makes a comment that gets a lot of +1s then how is that a bad thing? I'm not on these forums very often (Yup, I'm waiting on SimCity), but I hope our community is better than that.

The problem is that it essentially turns discussions into a popularity contest. It leads to a situation where poster now has the incentive of posting a popular opinion over actually furthering the discussion. This could turn especially ugly in some of the more controversial pieces here. It also sometimes breeds a sense of superiority with people who take a points system as a sort of ego check. I think GB actually had a point system waaay back in the day but they took it out because of abuse cases.

I guess the bigger issue I have is that I want the GB engineer's priority to reintegrate something like the quest system or achievements moreso than a +1 system that has proven to be more toxic here than elsewhere.