Video Game Spotlight: Soul Reaver 2

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

Edited By Oni

This isn't really a new idea: let's talk about old video games! But I thought it'd be nice to talk about older games that I'm still passionate about and maybe introduce some people to them. 

The Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2

Soul Reaver 2 is obviously the sequel to Soul Reaver. Both are part of the Legacy of Kain series, which started with Silicon Knights' Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen.

Kain and Raziel
 Kain and Raziel

The Legacy of Kain games can best be described as a dark counterpart to Zelda. The Soul Reaver games in particular have much in common with Legend of Zelda's 3D outings. You traverse the overworld to find new crypts/dungeons, where you will solve puzzles and eventually unlock new powers which can be used in combat or exploration. The combat is equally simplistic, never really stopping you from progressing the game to find out more about the story. Another trait the series share is that both have names in the title that aren't necessarily belonging to the protagonist, as the Soul Reaver games star Raziel, Kain's betrayed lieutenant, and Defiance sees both Kain and Raziel star.

And the story is why you are (or should be) playing this. Though the dungeons in particular deserve credit for fantastic puzzle design, what really stuck with me (and many more) is the insanely creative and ambitious story for this series. So as mentioned, this is the Legacy of Kain. Kain was a nobleman who was turned into a vampire in Blood Omen and set out for revenge. At the end of that game, he was given the choice: Die, or live but condemn the world to ruin. Seemingly selfishly, he chose to live. But, as players of the series will know, very few things are as they appear in this series.

The plot, which weaves through all of the games (Blood Omen 1 and 2, SR 1 and 2, and Defiance), is very complex and even events from Blood Omen that seemed insignificant at the time can come back to play a major role. No other game series has had such a coherent plot across multiple games that ends in an extremely satisfying way, where truly everything comes together, despite there being time travel fudgery, which rarely (if ever) works out well, but does so spectacularly here. As you may know I am a sucker for epic, elaborate plots that are spun across several titles (hey Phoenix Wright), and also a sucker for tragic characters (hey Raziel, Kain, Max Payne, Godot, Batman), so this story is right up my alley. 

The big theme here is free will. The relationship between Kain and Raziel is also really interesting and evolves in unexpected ways. Can Kain and Raziel change their destinies or are they locked into their paths? Kain is a determinist who believes destiny's path is set but Raziel is having none of that. The duo's rivalry changes as they realize they need each other and not everything as it seems. They are different, but turn out to have a lot in common.

It may interest you to know that the story for this game was written by Amy Hennig, who is now working at Naughty Dog and is making the Uncharted games, which many of you will remember for its strong characters. I didn't go too much into detail about the plot of Legacy of Kain, but suffice it to say it's incredibly. Every game feels like a season of a TV show. The story really picks up with Soul Reaver 2 though, so you could do like I did and read a synopsis for the past games on gamefaqs and watch the cut scenes on Youtube.

SR2 intro, which is probably confusing without knowing the back story. It's also kind of the ending to SR1.

It's worth tracking this down for the PS2 or PC, if you haven't played it. Like Zelda? Like epic stories? You'll love this.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Oni

This isn't really a new idea: let's talk about old video games! But I thought it'd be nice to talk about older games that I'm still passionate about and maybe introduce some people to them. 

The Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2

Soul Reaver 2 is obviously the sequel to Soul Reaver. Both are part of the Legacy of Kain series, which started with Silicon Knights' Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen.

Kain and Raziel
 Kain and Raziel

The Legacy of Kain games can best be described as a dark counterpart to Zelda. The Soul Reaver games in particular have much in common with Legend of Zelda's 3D outings. You traverse the overworld to find new crypts/dungeons, where you will solve puzzles and eventually unlock new powers which can be used in combat or exploration. The combat is equally simplistic, never really stopping you from progressing the game to find out more about the story. Another trait the series share is that both have names in the title that aren't necessarily belonging to the protagonist, as the Soul Reaver games star Raziel, Kain's betrayed lieutenant, and Defiance sees both Kain and Raziel star.

And the story is why you are (or should be) playing this. Though the dungeons in particular deserve credit for fantastic puzzle design, what really stuck with me (and many more) is the insanely creative and ambitious story for this series. So as mentioned, this is the Legacy of Kain. Kain was a nobleman who was turned into a vampire in Blood Omen and set out for revenge. At the end of that game, he was given the choice: Die, or live but condemn the world to ruin. Seemingly selfishly, he chose to live. But, as players of the series will know, very few things are as they appear in this series.

The plot, which weaves through all of the games (Blood Omen 1 and 2, SR 1 and 2, and Defiance), is very complex and even events from Blood Omen that seemed insignificant at the time can come back to play a major role. No other game series has had such a coherent plot across multiple games that ends in an extremely satisfying way, where truly everything comes together, despite there being time travel fudgery, which rarely (if ever) works out well, but does so spectacularly here. As you may know I am a sucker for epic, elaborate plots that are spun across several titles (hey Phoenix Wright), and also a sucker for tragic characters (hey Raziel, Kain, Max Payne, Godot, Batman), so this story is right up my alley. 

The big theme here is free will. The relationship between Kain and Raziel is also really interesting and evolves in unexpected ways. Can Kain and Raziel change their destinies or are they locked into their paths? Kain is a determinist who believes destiny's path is set but Raziel is having none of that. The duo's rivalry changes as they realize they need each other and not everything as it seems. They are different, but turn out to have a lot in common.

It may interest you to know that the story for this game was written by Amy Hennig, who is now working at Naughty Dog and is making the Uncharted games, which many of you will remember for its strong characters. I didn't go too much into detail about the plot of Legacy of Kain, but suffice it to say it's incredibly. Every game feels like a season of a TV show. The story really picks up with Soul Reaver 2 though, so you could do like I did and read a synopsis for the past games on gamefaqs and watch the cut scenes on Youtube.

SR2 intro, which is probably confusing without knowing the back story. It's also kind of the ending to SR1.

It's worth tracking this down for the PS2 or PC, if you haven't played it. Like Zelda? Like epic stories? You'll love this.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I remember watching my brother playing this years ago and being fairly impressed. I might have to look into it... For the moment i'm stuck at my parents house for a week and only have my brother's Wii for company. On the upside that means I finally get to play Okami!!!!

Oh yeah, Oni - you would totally approve of my Christmal List this year. I'm getting Dragon Age Origins and an Arcade Stick for Street Fighter 4. BRING ON 2010!!!!!

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ZeroCast

Man, you just made my day Oni.

Truly, this is one of those games that I admire for its sheer excellence in the writing and the way they presented the whole game, brings back a mixture of sad and happy memories. I still remember the last words of Raziel till this moment...History Abhors a Paradox...

Great read man.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Really brilliant game.  Didn't quite have the same length as the first, but the story telling was perfect. 

Easily one of the most powerful and intelligent games out there, I loved the ending when everything finally comes together and you realize what's been going on..  Only for the game to end.
Developers should pay attention to this.  If you're going to include cliff-hangers, this is how they're done!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By trophyhunter

Soul Reaver is a great game but sadly if it were to come out today it would not be

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By danielkempster

I remember playing this around this time last year, and finishing it on New Year's Day 2009. It's a brilliant game that really deserves more credit than it got. My favourite thing about the game was its "dungeons". All of the puzzles were so well put together. Another interesting fact to note is that the team behind SR2 (Crystal Dynamics) went on to reboot the Tomb Raider franchise with Tomb Raider: Legend. You can really see a lot of similarities between the two games, particularly in terms of the design of their environmental puzzles.

Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Aljosa15

Man Soul Reaver games were amazing, especially the first. The writing and story is perfection as far as videogames go.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Oni

Good to see some LoK fans out here! The series really deserves a tribute.