Video Games are officially recognized as an Art form by US Gov =)

• 98 results
bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By bassman2112
Article here, at the Escapist

I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking this calls for dedicated video game museums =) Original games, original consoles complete with storyboards and being able to watch how they all evolved (reflecting a thought someone was talking about on Reddit on this very subject)

What do you guys think?
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'm not surprised those pretentious pricks are the ones to break the story.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@MysteriousBob: Jesus, no reason to get your panties in a bunch about it.
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Chirag4

Fuck yeah progress.

Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Hardgamer

I Despise the Government.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By bassman2112
@MysteriousBob said:

" I'm not surprised those pretentious pricks are the ones to break the story. "

No need to be rude about it - isn't it more important that the industry is finally moving forward?

Edit:

Besides, this is great news for people like me who are trying to get into the industry - it means there's finally an opportunity for proper funding =)
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Chirag4 said:

" Fuck yeah progress. "

That reminds me of something. America, this is for you:

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By ryanwho

When the government is calling your shit official art, you know you're not making art. Ebert wins.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

If they made a museum I would want to see a statue of one of the colossi from Shadow of the Colossus in the front because that would be awesome.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clinkz
@MysteriousBob said:
Lol, what's up with that reaction? Thats Bob for ya I guess.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

Finally. I was getting tired of being arrested for recognizing art illegally.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Vexxan

I guess...hurray?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang

Dude...

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Clinkz said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
Lol, what's up with that reaction? Thats Bob for ya I guess. "
Its good progress, I'm just not thrilled with the idea of giving The Escapist more views.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By beforet

That's neat.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By EuanDewar

Meh.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I can't say that I care.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

video game museum sounds pimp

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ryanwho said:
" When the government is calling your shit official art, you know you're not making art. Ebert wins. "
Yeah, let's chant anti-establishment slogans, brah! Down with the man!

In all seriousness, considering that they are offering grants to would-be developers, this is great news, regardless on where you stand on the whole games-as-art debate.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel
@wasteguru:@Bassman2112:  MysteriousBob pretty much only trolls when he posts.  I doubt he's made one post actually contributing toward a discussion since he started.

That being said, this is excellent news.  Every bit of recognition helps.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FourWude

America's Army is fucking art. 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By recroulette
@ryanwho said:
" When the government is calling your shit official art, you know you're not making art. Ebert wins. "
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho
@GetEveryone said:
" @ryanwho said:

In all seriousness, considering that they are offering grants to would-be developers, this is great news, regardless on where you stand on the whole games-as-art debate.
"
I think grants just means now PBS and the History Channel will be able to make more edutainment games. But who knows. I'd have to look at the paperwork. Nothing has kept private funders from offering grants to game developers, there's just no interest. Unless you count XNA proof of concept games that later became funded.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
@ryanwho said:
" @GetEveryone said:
" @ryanwho said:

"
I think grants just means now PBS and the History Channel will be able to make more edutainment games. But who knows. I'd have to look at the paperwork. Nothing has kept private funders from offering grants to game developers, there's just no interest. Unless you count XNA proof of concept games that later became funded. "
Nothing has kept private funders from offering grants to aspiring filmmakers or musicians, either.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli

Videogames are the epitome of art. Every artform of the past and much of siences come together and have one super-powered baby.

Hamstrung by interactivity, since the finishing touch will always be applied by the actions of the consumers. Few are good enough ACTORS living up to the challenge of breathing true life into a game.

Videogame player-direction is the biggest challenge of them all. The game has to create the perfect player.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By mike

Right, because I want the Federal Government telling me what is art and what isn't. They need to spend more time on issues that actually matter...like balancing the budget, reducing unemployment, addressing the illegal immigration problem, and countless other things. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel
@MB said:
" Right, because I want the Federal Government telling me what is art and what isn't. They need to spend more time on issues that actually matter...like balancing the budget, reducing unemployment, addressing the illegal immigration problem, and countless other things.  "
Did you read the article at all?  It's specifically about the National Endowment for the Arts.  It's not like the House and Senate are busy debating the merits of games as art.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StaticFalconar

the government says its art so, take that Ebert?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By mike
@Hailinel said:

" @MB said:

" Right, because I want the Federal Government telling me what is art and what isn't. They need to spend more time on issues that actually matter...like balancing the budget, reducing unemployment, addressing the illegal immigration problem, and countless other things.  "
Did you read the article at all?  It's specifically about the National Endowment for the Arts.  It's not like the House and Senate are busy debating the merits of games as art. "
I did, and that organization can be eliminated for now as far as I'm concerned. We can't even keep people fed or employed right now.
ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Neato I suppose. I doubt this changes anything though.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @GetEveryone said:
" @ryanwho said:

"
I think grants just means now PBS and the History Channel will be able to make more edutainment games. But who knows. I'd have to look at the paperwork. Nothing has kept private funders from offering grants to game developers, there's just no interest. Unless you count XNA proof of concept games that later became funded. "
Nothing has kept private funders from offering grants to aspiring filmmakers or musicians, either. "
I'm not going to pretend to be clued up on the subject, but isn't that where private investors come in?

Surely studios, both movies and games, are backed financially by share-holders and their ilk.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel
@MB said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @MB said:

Did you read the article at all?  It's specifically about the National Endowment for the Arts.  It's not like the House and Senate are busy debating the merits of games as art. "
I did, and that organization can be eliminated for now as far as I'm concerned. We can't even keep people fed or employed right now. "
Well, you're a big bucket of positivity, aren't you?
Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lemmycaution217
@RecSpec said:
" @ryanwho said:
"
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel
@rebgav said:
" @MB said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @MB said:

I did, and that organization can be eliminated for now as far as I'm concerned. We can't even keep people fed or employed right now. "
So... eliminate an institution receiving a tiny fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the budget? Savin' lives. "
Because it's not like that money would go to the military, or anything.

The whole "slashing the budget saves lives" mentality is bullshit, anyway.  I have a friend that works at a company that develops projects for the U.S. Defense Department.  If the funding for those projects were to be cut, he would likely be out of a job because the company wouldn't have anything to shift him over to due to the already full staff working on the civilian projects.  (Not to mention the sudden drop in government funding making it more difficult to pay everyone.)

Sure, you might save a drop in the bucket by eliminating a specific office or program, but then you fuck over everyone that was responsible for running that program.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Turambar
@MB said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @MB said:

Do you have any idea how little funding something like that gets from the government?  When over 70% of the budget goes towards medicare and the military, people with a "any budget slash is a good and meaningful budget slash" mentality like yours are absolutely hilarious.  Throwing a fit over a few million dollars when the budget is in the trillions is totally the proper perspective going into things.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm
@MB said:
" I did, and that organization can be eliminated for now as far as I'm concerned. "
You're an awful person.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I was playing Saints Row last night, and I never once thought of it as art.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EvilTwin
@PeasantAbuse said:
" I was playing Saints Row last night, and I never once thought of it as art. "
I was watching the Sorcerer's Apprentice last night, and I never once thought of that as art either.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Slaker117

K. That's nice I suppose. Curious to see what it leads to, don't have high hopes though.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By time allen

the "games as art" crowd is going to run miles with this.

...great.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jay444111
@EvilTwin said:
" @PeasantAbuse said:
I was watching the Sorcerer's Apprentice last night, and I never once thought of that as art either. "
Eh, I consider saints row way more art worthy than sorcerers apprentice, hell, this has been a long time coming. Video have had a insanely huge edges that movies never will have. Hell, since videogames have been dominating the movie industry on a consistent basis, I am surprised this didn't happen years ago when Mass effect and such came out.

This is quite a big win. Roger ebert would love to hear this though, I would enjoy hearing his blood rage from whereever he lives to here in Montana. Proof that we won and were right from the very start.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Gabriel

Finally, Superman 64 is now art. 

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By time allen
@Jay444111 said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @PeasantAbuse said:
I was watching the Sorcerer's Apprentice last night, and I never once thought of that as art either. "
Eh, I consider saints row way more art worthy than sorcerers apprentice, hell, this has been a long time coming. Video have had a insanely huge edges that movies never will have. Hell, since videogames have been dominating the movie industry on a consistent basis, I am surprised this didn't happen years ago when Mass effect and such came out.

This is quite a big win. Roger ebert would love to hear this though, I would enjoy hearing his blood rage from whereever he lives to here in Montana. Proof that we won and were right from the very start.
"
one piece of shit is less shit than the other piece of shit, therefore games are masterful pieces of art
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OllyOxenFree

ART!!!
 ART!!!
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Slaker117
@OllyOxenFree: Thread validated.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kyreo
@ryanwho said:
As much as it pains me, I am inclined to agree with you.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gizmo

Mainstream games like Call Of Duty and Gears Of War have been holding back video games being considered as art for years now...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hailinel

To all the members of the "games aren't art" crowd whining in this thread:

Just so you know, you're not helping your case by being petulant.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spoonman671

There's no such thing as art.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Slaker117
@Kyreo said:

" @ryanwho said:

As much as it pains me, I am inclined to agree with you. "
As much as I don't care that the government considers games art, there is nothing that prevents them from accurately recognizing art. After all, all the other forms recognized by the NEA are pretty much non-disputable. The Endowment has done good work, I just have a hard time seeing it work for games.