Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By penguindust
January 14, 2009

Proposed NY Bill Would Restrict Sale Of Games With Profanity, Stereotypes

A New York assemblyman submitted a new legislative proposal aiming to prohibit the sale of video games containing negative racial stereotypes and/or actions toward a specific group of persons to minors.

The measure was proposed in the New York Assembly and referred to the Assembly's Consumer Protection and Affairs Committee.

If passed, it would prevent children under the age of 18 from purchasing video games with a rating that "reflects content of various degrees of profanity, racist stereotypes, or derogatory language, and/or actions toward a specific group of persons."

The proposed bill would also requires retailers or rental outlets to ask for identification from customers attempting to buy or rent video games with a "mature" or "violent" rating. A bill similar in this aspect that would have imposed fines on violators became law in California and was later ruled unconstitutional in 2007 -- opening the door for the Entertainment Software Association to ultimately collect $280,000 in legal fees from the state.

Manhattan Democrat Keith L.T. Wright (pictured), who submitted the proposal, previously put forward a similar bill in 2007 that failed to pass, according to a report from political gaming weblog GamePolitics.

According to the measure, "Video games containing purely adult images, situations, and scenarios are far too readily available to children who often purchase these games without any resistance from sellers. ... The bill would take a step towards preventing our children from being influenced by the glamorization of violence portrayed in such video games."

Source: Gamasutra/Eric Caoili

http://www.gamedeveloper.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21846

It seems that another round of "video games are the root of all that is evil in the world" has started up again as some politicans decide to appeal to specific constituencies.  Of course, what or who decides what is considered a stereotype is undefined, let alone there being any solid evidence that the implications of the proposed bill have any merit.

This bill will likely be killed in the courts, assuming it even passes in an odd numbered election year.  But its existence raises another question.  Do you think that the constant submital of bills like this tarnish the general public's opinion of video games and those who enjoy the medium?  Does the bill stereotype video gamers as foul-mouthed racists...putting XboxLive, aside.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I don`t see how this is different, people have asked for I.D for years now, except in my town, I don`t think anyone cares :P.

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shazam

People have always blamed video games for shootings and violence. We've all heard the tired, old canards trotted out by activists like "GTA made my son think it was okay to go on a shooting rampage" etc.

I guess the new hobby horse is video games cause racism. The truth is that if you are stupid enough to be racist, you probably can't even turn the Xbox on - never mind playing the damn game.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bullet_Jr

It upsets me to see people still bitching about videogames as if what they say will make a difference. Game developers make games for two reasons, to keep their franchises running strong and to make money. If somebody was giving me heat for DOING MY GODDAMN JOB I wouldn't give a shit what they had to say. Fuck 'em.

I know I'm foul-mouthed (though not rascist) but that's due to keeping it real 24-7, not the fact that I just so happen to be a gamer.

NoahIdea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NoahIdea

There is a substantial argument to be made about stereotypes in videogames, but legislation ain't the way to do it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Surely that would be against the first amendment.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Megalon

I don't see anything wrong limiting mature games to kids, at least in concept. I do take offense to the idea that games (or any media, really) are to blame for bad kids. The day parents start taking responsibility and being active in their kids lives is the day laws like this will go away. So in other words, these type of laws are here to stay and will likely only increase in coverage in the future.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Megalon said:
"I don't see anything wrong limiting mature games to kids, at least in concept. I do take offense to the idea that games (or any media, really) are to blame for bad kids. The day parents start taking responsibility and being active in their kids lives is the day laws like this will go away. So in other words, these type of laws are here to stay and will likely only increase in coverage in the future."
Fantastic post, I agree. Games really can't be blamed for bad kids anymore. Maybe in the 90s when the internet wasn't accessible to everyone but it's 2009, dammit. Parents need to step up to the plate.

I bring up the point of the internet because any child with basic knowledge on how to use a search engine can find things far worse than anything you can find in a game.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Endogene

Hmmm racial stereo types....

Wonder if a game like Calvin Tucker's Redneck Jamboree will be made available to minors, you cant get any more racist than this. I have no trouble with violent games being kept from kids but preventing them from playing games with "racial sterotype" is plain madness.

No Caption Provided