1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@nintendoeats said:

@JasonR86: All philosophy means is "thinking about stuff critically." All discussions are ultimately philosophical. So relax.

EDIT: And before somebody tries to show me up, YES I KNOW that philosophy literally translates to "love of knowledge."

Also, again...I'm neither a philosophy OR a psychology student! :D
koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By koshka

@JasonR86:

That term is not restricted to a certain school's discussion...

that's like saying you can't use "a priori" in a discussion because it's Latin, even though it has a very valid use in any academic discussion.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By JasonR86

@Koshka said:

@JasonR86:

that's like saying you can't use "a priori" in a discussion because it's Latin, even though it has a very valid use in any academic discussion.

I thought the thread was still about Operant Conditioning (which is mainly a psychological term) so I thought the term that was used by you and others, self-ergo, was another term like Operant Conditioning.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By nintendoeats

@Koshka said:

@JasonR86:

Your mom is a priori.

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By koshka

Send it into the bombcast as a question! That would be epic to hear.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By JasonR86

@nintendoeats said:

@Koshka said:

@JasonR86:

Your mom is a priori.

Boom!

1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@Koshka: it's bombcast@giantbomb.com right?

@JasonR86 said:

@nintendoeats said:

@Koshka said:

@JasonR86:

Your mom is a priori.

Boom!

I was expecting this discussion to descend into someone bringing up Nazis but a "Your Mom" come back will have to do.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has posted!
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By JasonR86

@1Gorebash1 said:

@nintendoeats said:

@JasonR86: All philosophy means is "thinking about stuff critically." All discussions are ultimately philosophical. So relax.

EDIT: And before somebody tries to show me up, YES I KNOW that philosophy literally translates to "love of knowledge."

If you're not a psychology or a philosophy student why are you writing a dissertation on conditioning? Do you mean you're writing a paper on conditioning?

1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1 said:

@nintendoeats said:

If you're not a psychology or a philosophy student why are you writing a dissertation on conditioning? Do you mean you're writing a paper on conditioning?

Confusing right? 
I'm on a BA course entitled "The Art of Video Game Design" and one of the modules this year asks us to write an academic dissertation on subject of our choosing (but of course it's better for us to be asking a question involving some form of media..art, films, video games etc) and since I enjoy video games and have a basic grasp of psychology (and know people whom have a much greater grasp to turn to for help) I wanted to explore the mine field that is "Why do people play games" which lead me to read more into conditioning.   
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By JasonR86

@1Gorebash1:

Ohhh, so it's practice for a real dissertation. Ok, that's cool then. Just make sure you're explicitly clear on what you mean by conditioning. Don't say you're talking about Operant Conditioning or Classical Conditioning and then redefine those theories like what has happened here. That's a sure way to get a bad grade.

1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1:

Ohhh, so it's practice for a real dissertation. Ok, that's cool then. Just make sure you're explicitly clear on what you mean by conditioning. Don't say you're talking about Operant Conditioning or Classical Conditioning and then redefine those theories like what has happened here. That's a sure way to get a bad grade.

Right now I'm in the research phase, I originally talked about writing about  doing my dissertation on "Reward systems in Video Games" to my lecturer but I was told to refocus it to "conditioning in video games", after doing some research I talked about Operant Conditioning  seems to be a good place to start with and after talking some more he stated  "I can think of at least 2 video games that arguably have no (Operant) conditioning" which I thought to be impossible...hence this thread heh.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By nintendoeats

@1Gorebash1: What university are you going to?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By JasonR86

@1Gorebash1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1:

Right now I'm in the research phase, I originally talked about writing about doing my dissertation on "Reward systems in Video Games" to my lecturer but I was told to refocus it to "conditioning in video games", after doing some research I talked about Operant Conditioning to him, which what led him to state what I originally posted, asking if what he said could possibly be true.

Tell him that it is impossible to make a game that doesn't have positive reinforcements. But that you can make a game that has negative reinforcements. Just keep in mind that whatever game he brings up ask yourself, "Based off of what I know about that game, what is rewarding about it?". If you can give an answer, even if it is something simple like 'experiencing the next area', then it is a positive reinforcement.

1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@nintendoeats

*ahem*...the University Of Cumbria, I should also mention I've had a rocky month with my lecturer with on more than a couple of occasions leaving the room after having discussion with him f-ing and blinding under my breath.
1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1:

Right now I'm in the research phase, I originally talked about writing about doing my dissertation on "Reward systems in Video Games" to my lecturer but I was told to refocus it to "conditioning in video games", after doing some research I talked about Operant Conditioning to him, which what led him to state what I originally posted, asking if what he said could possibly be true.

Tell him that it is impossible to make a game that doesn't have positive reinforcements. But that you can make a game that has negative reinforcements. Just keep in mind that whatever game he brings up ask yourself, "Based off of what I know about that game, what is rewarding about it?". If you can give an answer, even if it is something simple like 'experiencing the next area', then it is a positive reinforcement.

Cheers, that's how I felt but I'm damn sure (from what I already know about him) he'll still argue his point for which ever games he has in his mind despite what you've summed up there...I'll let everyone know what games he was thinking about once I get them out of him.
Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#116  Edited By Neferon

@1Gorebash1:

Is it even possible for a game to not include a form of (operant) conditioning?

I think it depends very much on your definition of a game. If that definition includes a goal and the possibility to fail or succeed based on what you do (in other words, your behavior determines the outcome) then it has already become impossible for a game to have no conditioning. Even though the efficacy of the conditioning might be questioned.

I'm curious about the games your professor will name. But I'm also skeptical about whether or not we would call his example 'games'. :)

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By nintendoeats

@1Gorebash1: You don't go to the same university as Gamer_152 do you? He is also taking a game course in England.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By JasonR86

@1Gorebash1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1:

Cheers, that's how I felt but I'm damn sure (from what I already know about him) he'll still argue his point for which ever games he has in his mind despite what you've summed up there...I'll let everyone know what games he was thinking about once I get them out of him.

I've had professors like that. To their credit, they're just trying to make you think by being devil's advocate. That's why he said 'arguably' so that there's an out for him and you to never be right or wrong. He just wants to stimulate conversation and by discussing something you find interesting he might lead you to really think about the topic of your paper.

That said, if he were on the internet he'd be a troll.

1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@Neferon

Aye that's something that was made clear to me since posting this, what is my definition of a game. I'm keeping it nice and vague by saying "Video games" and what goes into making one a game.

I'm dying to know what he was thinking of too and assumed he was thinking of video games at the time seeing as that was what we were discussing at the time.
1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@1Gorebash1:

I've had professors like that. To their credit, they're just trying to make you think by being devil's advocate. That's why he said 'arguably' so that there's an out for him and you to never be right or wrong. He just wants to stimulate conversation and by discussing something you find interesting he might lead you to really think about the topic of your paper.

That said, if he were on the internet he'd be a troll.

Oh god he is the most trolliest of trolls. Not to make it personal but in stature he reminds me of Vizziniand has caused many a student to explode in fits of rage from playing devil's advocate to a bitter sharp point....I'm not one to lose my temper with people but he's damn good at pushing my buttons. As you said I can't truly call this a bad thing because I'm taking my work a lot more seriously but he may end up with a black eye in 6 months as a thank you.
Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Neferon

@1Gorebash1: Are you allowed to drop names on this here forum?

1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By 1Gorebash1
@Neferon said:

@1Gorebash1: Are you allowed to drop names on this here forum?

I'm not sure but I'm trying to avoid doing so xD
1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By 1Gorebash1

And for the anti-climax. 

I had asked him what games he was thinking of today and to explain himself. He sat and tried to recall....then said "Scrabble" was one of the games he was thinking of.....I said "But what about the points system?"...he said "Oh yeah"......... -_-

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By jozzy

@1Gorebash1 said:

And for the anti-climax. I had asked him what games he was thinking of today and to explain himself. He sat and tried to recall....then said "Scrabble" was one of the games he was thinking of.....I said "But what about the points system?"...he said "Oh yeah"......... -_-

Haha, just read through the whole thread and that sure was a major downer... I thought the person suggesting Garry'smod was on the right track, but that's not really a game is it.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#125  Edited By Grumbel

What pure logic puzzle games? Not the Tetris kind that gives you points and scores, but things like Polarium, Professor Layton or Lemmings, in those games you often have little or no conditioning. You do learn patterns and strategies to solve the puzzles along the way, but it doesn't reinforce any specific behavior, as doing more of an specific actions leads to absolutely nothing, it's only using the actions that solve the puzzle that are meaningful. It's essentially staring at a puzzle till to figure out the solution and unlike Scrabble there isn't really an reward for doing more "complicated solutions", it's just about figuring out the puzzle (some puzzle games of course have a little scoring/time based stuff on top, but not all).

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By BlinkyTM

There are definitely some old Atari games and stuff that have no conditioning.

Obscure titles primarily!

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#127  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@1Gorebash1: Actually I saw that Minecraft has some form of Achievement system now?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#128  Edited By lockwoodx
@1Gorebash1 said:
Heya Duders, long time reader first time poster.   I'm on the verge of writing my university dissertation based around conditioning in video games (original right?). I have a fairly vast knowledge of games but my lecturer stumped me by saying "I can think of at least 2 video games that arguably have no conditioning"....is that even possible?...what the hell are they? Can anyone name them? Any help will be much appreciated. 
Write it on how game publishers have conditioned the masses to accept being nickel and dimed to death with $DLC instead of giving gamers value for their money.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#129  Edited By Dagbiker

@BlinkyTM said:

Name one.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BlinkyTM

@Dagbiker said:

@BlinkyTM said:

Name one.

Crazy Climber. "Should the climber succumb to any one of these dangers, a new climber takes his place at the exact point where he fell; the last major danger is eliminated"

"If the player completes all four skyscrapers, he is taken back to the first skyscraper, and the game restarts from the beginning". You do get points but you can just keep dying and dying and dying without a negative effect.